Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Big surprise! A fellow Harley owner is making the rest of you look like retards:

US biker sues Harley in ABS light case

Basically guy claims his idiot lights suggested his Harley is equipped with ABS.
It wasn't, and he didn't realize it, even after 15 months and 12,000 miles.

Has to "lay 'er down" and his wife (pillion) has brain damage as a result of the wreck.

Maybe next he'll sue the state for not making his wife wear a helmet.
Then he can sue every helmet manufacturer for not giving his wife a helmet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Scrapez posted:

Fixed that.

From my understanding, it did not have an actual light, rather a "placeholder" if you will on the dash without a bulb behind it.

If there is the faint outline of the word "EXIT" on the wall of a business but no door underneath because it's been bricked in and I walk straight into the brick wall, should the business be held accountable or am I just a dumbass?

this is the best explaination. and no there was no actual lit-up ABS light. it just had the ABS space on the gauge cluster just like every car does, regardless of whether or not it has ABS.
Just like every car, if there's no ABS then the light is simply not there, but that little symbol on the dash remains. You can only see it in bright direct light or with a flashlight.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Scrapez posted:

Edit: What he said above...not sure how I glossed over that.

If it's an older Ranger, it may have rear wheel only ABS. So, my suggestion is to run through a schoolyard of children, hit a school and bump your head and then sue Ford for not having a light stating "Rear Wheel ABS Only"

If it's a 2.3/2.5L it's probably only got RABS. the 4x4's and bigger motors got 4WABS

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
So I just realized that Harley riders coming down the street from the local dealership look like they got stuck doing a jumping jack.

I just saw a dude on a Harley with ape hangers and highway pegs riding down the street.
He looked like a loving starfish.

Serious question:
How can this be, in any way, a comfortable riding position? I'd imagine that being a human parachute on a bike is kind of a scary feeling.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

You guys crack me up sometimes. Of course it can be comfortable. Stretching your limbs out feels pretty good.

That's pretty much what I figured but I honestly don't think I could ride like that. It just looks so... unstable.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Scrapez posted:

Anything up to about 10"bars are comfortable for me. Beyond that and forget it.

Oh agreed. I don't think I made my case though... this man was literally standing up and had his arms stretched out as far as they could reach in either direction over his head.

I understand feet up and arms out a bit. But he looked like this:

except his arms and feet were out to the side more.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
http://imgur.com/a/jULLf

I'm really diggin this Captain America air filter.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Armyman25 posted:

Are police model Harley's and better/worse than the regular bikes

There will be some differences: mostly with the wiring due to police lights.
Some police departments spring for beefing up the motor with Ape bronze valve guides, heavy duty valves and springs.

Then again, it's also my understanding that police bikes are often 'ridden hard and put away wet.'

Deeters posted:

So you want to try riding a bike but don't have a license? Well, Harley-Davidson can help you out

Something isn't right here.

Harley Davidson posted:

The Harley-Davidson® JUMPSTART™ Rider Experience combines a Harley-Davidson motorcycle and a specially-designed, stationary support stand.
No knowledge or previous motorcycle experience necessary (seems about right for a first time Harley buyer)
Motorcycle will not tip over
That last part scares me a bit. I feel it's completely irresponsible to not let a first time rider learn and practice the proper way to "lay'er-down."

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 3, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

IcedPee posted:

It's time for Adventures in Fork Seals with Forums User IcedPee!

Don't listen to what anyone else tells you. hosed up nailpolish and greasy hands is sexy.

While we're on the topic of seals, has anyone tried the SealMate and NOT hosed up their seals or scratched their fork tubes?
http://www.sealmate.net/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Harley says:

DEFY STEREOTYPES!
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/dark-custom/stereotypical-harley.html?source_cd=Banner_2012Q1_YA_StereoTypicalHarley

(but no really, buy into the culture while you're at it)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Dan-it layer dan you beat me to it:

Edit:
Why aren't my tweets tweeting?
https://twitter.com/!/gnarlycharlie4u

quote:

Tires on my trailer? Replaced annually. Tires on my Softail? Same ones that came with the bike. #Stereotypicalharley

nevermind:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 17, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Since mine don't seem to work, can someone please tweet "Androgyny: My Road King is a garage QUEEN. #StereotypicalHarley" and take a screenshot?

also:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Safety Dance posted:

Edit:
Yours made it up, GnarlyCharlie

YESSSSSSS IT'S WORKING haha.
I am having way more fun than I should with this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

I was just about to post a screen cap of this. It's the best one so far.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Deeters posted:

Didn't it used to be #bieks? I'm gonna have to make a twitter just for this.

I know the first one is spelled wrong. I copy & pasted for a friend.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I hope no one posts this on reddit and ruins it for the rest of us.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Olde Weird Tip posted:

It was this threads destiny to devolve into harley loling

We were doing fine until that terrible attempt at social media marketing via twitter.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
something something sportster...

Those look like old suzuki GS wheels. I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

That's masterfully executed in the details, but the overall proportions are all wrong. The seat and rear wheel in particular are really goddamn ugly. Reminds me of this...thing:

I guess it just goes to show how different the seating position is between a laid-back cruiser and a cafe racer. If you want to use clip-ons, you've got to move the seat so far forwards that the whole rear end looks bizarre.

Lose the blinkers and scooter seat and that thing would be awesome.
I still can't believe he's not running a fuel pump on it though. Particularly with those carbs.

• Locked thread