Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dang. I was planning on going to an HD demo day today, but totally blew it off because, uh... I forgot. Finally remembered halfway down the road to my favorite car wash, and by then it was pretty much over.

Ah well, it's not like they've got a hell of a lot of model creep, do they? This year, cruisers! (and one standard.) Next year... cruisers! (and one standard.)

E: So what's the difference between the model lines again. this about accurate?

Sportster: It has been made since forever, has a smaller motor, two shocks in the back and is a girl's bike because it is smaller and handles better.
Dyna: It has two shocks in the back and a bigger motor.
Softail: It has one shock in the back, hidden so it looks like it could destroy your kidneys, and a bigger motor.
Touring: It has bags and one of two ugly fairings, but is otherwise a dyna or softail.
Whatever-Rod: It has a motor developed by Porsche for Erik Buell that we then stole and bastardized until he couldn't use it. Also it looks like something Cloud Strife would ride.

Phy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiffness posted:

Buell Blast - The bike so lovely, that Buell themselves acknowledged they were better crushed into a cube than ridden
Killing the Blast meant Harley would have had to develop their own learner bike for their newbie course.

Buell's closure was an act of vengeance. :tinfoil:

Armyman25 posted:

The shear amount of HD merch is crazy. I think you can basically live your entire life utilizing HD gear.

mmm, fridge full of Harley Milk

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ok, let's assume that I'm doing long range planning about a passenger who... REALLY enjoys the harley idle. My normal biek's a Weestrom, where would I look for something with a. passenger comfort, b. rider comfort, c. ye harley idle?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I feel bad, cause if Harley people invaded a BMW thread, I'd want to stab them all with a drive shaft. So here's a Harley I like

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2010/11/17/harley-sportster-cafe-racer.html

y'know, it's pretty, I like it, wish they built them like that... but why does she have knee cutouts on the tank?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's been a gently caress of a while since I posted in CA. Was at a Harley demo day this weekend and tried out a V-Rod Muscle and a Sportster '48, and man what a difference between the two. The V-Rod was very nice, I couldn't believe how smooth and quiet the motor was compared to everything around me. I did find myself wishing it had more suspension travel, more standard ergos, maybe some wind protection, so basically what I rode in on but with more power. I don't think I'd get one at this point in my life unless I had 18 grand of someone else's money to spend (and the one the dealer had on hand was marked up to 21.5, wtf). I understand the Night Rod is a little better on the ergos but I suspect I'd still want to convert it to standard pegs. And a passenger seat and luggage and a screen to keep the wind off my chest.

The 48, I should have rode first. I don't want to think about what they were like before the rubber-mounted engine. Thing looks fantastic sitting there, but it made a hell of a lot of production about getting up to 130 kph. The real killer is, I don't know what it was about the seat but I felt like I was sitting directly on my rear end in a top hat. Forget an hour, I wanted off after the first couple minutes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was talking about how if I ever got my mitts on a Night Rod, I'd want to convert it to mid controls... HD is now selling a kit for that. So that's neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

Where did you find that? I can't find anything on their website.

V-Rod Mid Control Kit.

• Locked thread