Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Deeters posted:

Apparently the volume adjusts based on your speed too.

For a Harley I assume this means it gets louder as you come to a stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I like the Deuce and its clean lines. I wonder if the solid wheel makes it wander in crosswinds more or not.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Used Sunlight sales posted:

My 04 Heritage Softail Classic, FLSTCI thingy.

A popular upgrade on these seems to be getting the rear air shocks from a Road King / Electra Glide. They go for pretty cheap on ebay / boards and it makes for easy adjustments if you ride 2-up a lot.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The pushrod V8s that are competitive today share essentially nothing, beyond 'is a V8' and 'has pushrods', with their '60s equivalents.

They're also water-cooled.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That actually looks like it has a lot more shock travel than an actual Softail.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Keith Stone posted:

Being 43 gives you a point of view that "manly" motorcycles really do appeal to manchildren.

Something something midlife-crisis demographic something reaffirming virility something something cheaper than an affair

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I know it's the Harley thread and all, but if your first bike budget is so tight you're having to look back at Ironhead Sportsters, you're probably better off going metric. All the cheap Ironheads I've seen were in pretty poor shape.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Akion posted:

How do you like that exhaust? Is it obnoxiously loud? I *hate* the stock Chrome pipes on the Iron.

I'm not a huge fan of the matte-black overall of the bike but I agree in that color scheme the chromes don't work. If you want the best sound / looks and what actual performance you can get from that motor I'd recommend RB Racing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTr2AcVc3ro

If I ever get a hog I'm putting a set of these on asap

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you want a riding position more cafe than bobber, I'd suggest longer rear shocks. Supposed to help with the handling a good bit, too.

I'd also recommend checking out ADVRider (specifically the Road Warrior subforum) as it's got a mess of Harley threads that are more geared to improving handling / comfort than the usual SLAM THAT THING DOWN Harley forum nonsense.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

epalm posted:

Anyone taking bets on their only prototype being immediately crashed at the first demo location?

It was developing some unusual voltage transients so I had to lay'er down

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Outside Dawg posted:

Depending on how old of a bike you're willing to look at you can pick up a pretty good deal on one, I pretty regularly see Sportsters in the $4500 range, usually '01 - '05 or so. Although unless you're a wrenchhead and have a strong streak of masochism I'd stay away from anything pre-evo (before 1984).

The problem with this logic is if you either a) see what a non-Harley cruiser of similar age and condition goes for, or b) see how much non-Harley bike you can get in said $4500 range. There are reasons to buy a Harley but unless you're buying to flip, "a pretty good deal" is essentially never one.

I personally wouldn't go further down the depreciation curve than '04, considering that those bikes are 10+ years old at this point, and an argument could be made that you're better off sticking with '07+ to get the FI. If you can't afford those bounds you're better off going metric than going older.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

he thinks this is the rest of ca

Basically

The '03 and older are just not as nice as the newer, and you're looking at at least an 11 year old bike at that point, possibly older. Sportsters in particular are unlikely to have been maintained by their nth owner by that age. Metrics hit the bottom of the depreciation curve lower and sooner, and represent much better value if you have to have a cruiser. If you really dig the bone-thin look of some of the older peanuttier Sportsters, you save so much on a metric that you can customize them to look the same, but better, have a no-poo poo custom based on a much newer base and still probably have more money in your pocket. And if you really think a 15 year old H-D is easier to get parts for anymore than an 8 year old Honda, you clearly haven't tried to get parts for one or both lately.

If you're thinking "well, I can get out of it most of what I put in" you're better off a) saving your money and not buying a bike, or b) buying a few-years-old DRZ or something that's holding value a lot better than old-rear end Sportsters and will require far less effort to get/keep running.

Basically the only reason to look at a <03 Sportster is if you're infected with Hafta Have A Hawg syndrome, and frankly all the motivations of H3S (don't want your HOG buddies to mock you, want to look like a guy in a movie on a hawg etc etc) are better served for the money by going for an even older Dyna platform bike. Leave the old-rear end Sportsters to the hipsters that are now destroying them because Honda CB prices have just gotten unpalatable.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ArbitraryTA posted:

So I've been looking at the new Street bikes that they're rolling out and they actually seem like pretty solid bikes. That 750cc Revo on a street bike design looks appealing especially. 44 foot lbs of torque on a ~500 lb motorcycle sounds exactly like my kind of thing.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Harley Thread: 44 Ft-lbs Of Torque On a 500lb Motorcycle Sounds Like My Kind Of Thing

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Shimrod posted:

What's the go with the orange things?

That looks like their 'MSF school' setup

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Marv Hushman posted:

Harley-Davidson recalls '14 Dynas for ignition switch problem:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014308010124

Interesting they'd even honor this, as it's not a defect on a stock bike. No more brass knuckle key chains...

quote:

Harley said in documents posted Friday by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that the motorcycles are limited at the factory to 5,600 RPMs, but Harley offers performance calibrations that let the engine rev higher than the limit. If the bikes hit 5,800 RPMs, the top engine mount bracket can vibrate too much and cause the ignition switches to malfunction.

Still a Harley product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Marv Hushman posted:

To my knowledge the only recent Sporty with factory (non-SE, non XR) performance mods was the Sportster Sport of the late 90s, which had two plugs per cylinder, some sort of gee whiz camshaft, and better suspension.

And double front discs IIRC which are the dead visual giveaway

• Locked thread