Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Redscare, I think as CAHOG president and grand poo-bah (that's the noise a Harley makes, right?), tradition requires you to change your user name to Layer Dan.

Layer Dan is dead - long live Layer Dan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

I would rather have the Road King. The Indian style in general doesn't do much for me.

Indian motorcycles are the best Indian motorcycles.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

CombatMedic posted:

What's the best way to pick up a biker slut?

By the love handles, of course.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

Im going to be renting a hardley in Miami (Friend who rides visiting for my wedding wants the full 'American experience' or something).

If you could ride any harley for 1-2 days, which would you ride?

At the moment leaning towards a v-rod since at least its not super slow..

I would go for the full dresser as well. It's Florida, you guys don't have corners (right?). And they're all fairly slow, so you might as well be comfy.

Giblet Plus posted:

I got a 2000 buell blast on craigslist a few months ago:

I hope you're enjoying it! And in the best possible way, I hope you get a new bike soon. :ohdear:

combatmedic posted:

instead of the worst production bike ever made.

You are wrong, goon sir. The Blast is in no way related to the GPz305.

e:

:allears:

Saga fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 15, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

some minor QC issues that are easily remedied,

I've heard of a tendency to explode transmissions. And purely anecdotally, I've seen one let go right in front of me, so I tend to believe it.

Also, belts snapping due to FOD. Not unique to the lightning o/c, but if it happens when you're cruising at 40mph on your softail, it's not so bad, whereas it'd be a bit different if it happens with a lightning cranked over in a fast corner.

The rim brake setup apparently plain doesn't work on the track (and possibly not under heavy road use?). It fades terribly and the pads don't deposit material evenly, creating a warp-like effect (and I don't mean warp speed, unless that means the speed at which you hit the air fence).

I've ridden a firebolt, and it just feels weird if you're used to pretty much anything else. Sort of like someone did a duratorq diesel conversion on a TZR250.

Biggest issue they have is that they are basically more money, more hassle and more difficult to ride than a generic Japanese 600, and yet slower at the same time. I didn't get a lot of track time on the firebolt, but the sheer lack of revs means it ends up between gears where a generic 16v I4, with its broader power band and rev range can either use overrev or go in a gear higher.

IIRC performance bike magazine spent a lot of money on one and couldn't get it to outrun a CBR600.

The 1125R/CR addressed the latter, but the result was a physically large bike that (like the air-cooled Buells) isn't a patch on the premium liter bike competition cosmetically and lags behind them in terms of power.

e:

Armyman25 posted:

The shear amount of HD merch is crazy. I think you can basically live your entire life utilizing HD gear.

Says the Triumph owner!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I rode a CR once. Those Ace bars were just loving ridiculously stupid and it made it so hard to turn and my god did it crank out some heat.

Absolute belter of a motor though. Thing was stupidly fast.

I was thinking of getting an "R" from my local Honda dealer before I decided on the Tuono. Just looking at it/sitting on it made me dubious. I mean the Firebolt was at least a compact, purposeful looking beast, albeit with a boat anchor between the engine mounts and the same GM-interior-trim look and feel. I mean GM America from 15 years ago, in case that wasn't obvious.

The 1125 also looked like it would crash really badly - the proud bit of the frame looked to be the second thing that would touch down in a lowside, just after a flimsy bit of top fairing.

The triumph dealerships over here have acres of triumph-branded gear of all kinds. They've taken a leaf out of Ducati's book. And more power to them I guess. But yeah, no Triumph aftershave, suppository case, etc. yet.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Having a lightning and a firebolt, both XB9's I'll agree that The brakes won't stand up to track use. I used to have a Daytona 600, traded it for the Lightning.
In retrospect, that wasn't such a good trade, but the Daytona I bought for my ex to ride and it was my last link to her...so it needed to go away.

I'm 6' tall and 190lbs, 34 inch inseam. Even with Uly pegs, the lower ergos are torture, but arms are fine.

If I am just putzing around, I'll take the Lightning, if I want to run 300+ miles, it's the firebolt. I just don't feel comfortable on the Lightning, not that the saddle isn't great, it's that you sit up, and your weight shifts back, unloading the front tire.
I just don't like that.

The firebolt is a weapon for the corners, or long fast rides.

In fact, I am going to go look at an 1125R today that I'd be trading the Lightning for.

My solution, trade the Lightning for a Daytona 650. Everyone's a winner!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

(Note, I know a number of cool dudes with Harleys and I don't have anything against the bikes or riders in general, but I am definitely going to make fun of H-D's lovely :911: marketing campaign)

Hey, have you guys heard about the new Harley Dyna-Beads? It claims to be a Harley with an excellent chassis and a world-beating motor that weighs in at less than 170kg.

Sadly, there's zero scientific evidence for any of this. :colbert:

Sagebrush posted:

my favorite, a random suburban dude with his toddler daughter who calls himself "Lone Wolf".

That could be goon marketing at work, and shame on you for not recognising this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Guess he needs a sidecar or something though. This may make it more sad, but perhaps not in the way you thought?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Unless, of course, you want performance out of your bikes.

Monster 1100 Evo is about 100hp and not very much weight in a nice stiff chassis. Definitely enough to send "cagers" into paroxysms of self-righteous rage as you wheelie by, and to deliver on a track day.

To me, not having to deal with a cooling circuit is a nice trick if you can manage it. Also less clutter for when you need to fit that new head. :stare: Now if only my legs fit on a Monster and I had £9,000 to spare...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

as someone once said: No honest rider needs more than a Ninja 250. :v:

That's why I have a Tuono. :catstare:

HEY! :arghfist:

clutchpuck posted:

This is pretty much the same story with XB Buells. Except they're like $4-6k and already have miles of legroom.

Oh, I remember those colours, it was 1983 and I was watching Buck Rogers.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Don't forget the ones with the translucent plastic tanks. :911:

e:

This is Rod Knock's personal bike. Note comfy seat for when he has to pick up Layer Dan from a ditch. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

If you get the right one, they're pretty roomy; the wife isn't exactly pint-sized and she fits on the back with room to spare.

She doesn't exactly look huge.

Of course I'm assuming that's your wife and not Javier, the bronzed and lissome pool boy.

• Locked thread