Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Ninjajebus posted:

I am not too experienced. I just passed the MSF.

My friend bought a Honda Shadow 650 for like 3700, and after checking CL, I've seen a bunch of Sportsters in that range, so I thought why not go with the cooler bike? (at least in my mind)

I am thinking of spending in the 3k to 4k range. I almost have that much saved up.

I will sell you my Honda Shadow VLX for 4k. It looks cooler than your buddies, I promise.

But if you want a Sportster you should go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Snowdens Secret posted:

For a Harley I assume this means it gets louder as you come to a stop

It should be based on throttle position so you can blare your music while you rev your bike and make loud exhaust noises.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
What's with the whip? Are you in a club or something?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Strife posted:

I'd gently caress that bike.

Its got a big fat rear end, just like I like it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

HaB posted:

I'm not sure how it works on non-ABS models, but on both ABS bikes I've owned, it's on when you start it, and goes off as soon as you go over 6 mph, unless something is wrong, then it stays lit.

But at least you can tell the light is doing SOMETHING.

Topic jump: does anyone know off the top of their head of an accessory plug/harness which hooks up to a 2014 Wide Glide? I have a plug under the seat which it attached to what seems to just be a piece of plastic. it's in a little slideout slot, but it's definitely not wired to anything, and didn't even have any metal contacts on it. So it looks like it's maybe just there to hold the plug, or is a sub for something which appears on other models. I've seen some accessory sockets which plug in under the seat so you don't have to go DTB, but I'm wondering if that's the plug I would use, and what might fit it.

Its not the trickle charger port?

edit: but Halrey sells this thingy

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/saddlebag-mount-auxiliary-power-port

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Find a Sportster 1200 XR

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sagebrush posted:

It's almost as if the manufacturer tunes the factory pipes to sound really good and maintain reasonable noise levels, but a lot of the ridership can't mentally separate "sounds good" from "sets off car alarms". Or something.

That's not it. The sissy libruls in the govment had the tree huggers make laws to pussify the Motorcycle Company. That's why the pipes aren't manly on a stock bike.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Schlieren posted:

The knucklehead really is the best-looking of the Harley motors imo. Shovelhead next, too bad the for the AMF stigma really

The Evo is pretty drat sexy to me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
My Sporty is undergoing an intense reorganization process

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

kenny powerzzz posted:

Your kidneys are next in line.

Nah we are fabbing up an air ride seat. Twin air springs and a compressor to adjust the firmness of the seat. I like riding rigids, they make me happy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I'm debating just posting in this thread or opening a project thread. I take tons of pics during builds.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
here is the build thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609801

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

clutchpuck posted:

Find stock take-offs and have them coated or painted.

this is the best solution. powder coat is relatively cheap.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Hey guys I have a bunch of Sportster parts if anyone is looking for any. Belts, pulleys, exhaust, bars, risers, fender, crash bars, shocks, ignition, coils, etc.

It's a 99 xl1200c so let me know.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I like everything but the blinker mirrors and the sound they made it make.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

ReverendCode posted:

I am not sure they "made it" make that sound. That is just what a high output electric motor sounds like, and it might be more exciting to me than all the potato in the world.

There is some kind of noise maker in there. The Zero is drat near silent, this thing sounds like a silly tiny jet engine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

kenny powerzzz posted:

Got to see a street 500 Saturday. They set up right next to me at a music festival. The demo was dumb as hell but the bike looked great. I'd expected a much cheaper looking product and I was wrong. Although the whole staff referred to it as a "starter" bike I don't fall in to that and will seriously probably own one at some point.

If it doesn't cost 30k it's a "starter bike"

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
That bike is loving amazing!!!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I never buy from the dealership

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I rock the Dunlop. No issues.

Brake pads I just get the normal generic ones.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think the main reason I might want to switch to forward controls would be to also add floorboards. Google says there used to be an FXDP kit available, but now I would have to go aftermarket.

I like the look of Dyna fender strut LEDs but they sell for over $100. I would simply feel bad if I knew that I paid $100 for a couple LEDs and an inch of Chanel iron, these should be significantly cheaper. Any thoughts?

That's exactly what you are paying for. Welcome to the HD aftermarket. If you can't make it yourself, get ready to shell out.

Roland sands sells loving air cleaners, AIR CLEANERS, for 500 and up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Crotch Fruit posted:

Yeah HD aftermarket is retarded, these just suck even more since they are not a genuine HD part and I can find several other full sets of turn signals for under a hundred. I think I could make something like the low profile lights with some chanel shaped stock, a file, and some clear resin. I honestly hardly know anything about metal work or if it is even possible for me to build something that would look decent. Are there more reasonable low profile turn signals?

The Kuryakyn LED Strut Mount Mini Bullet Marker Lights are about 75ish.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Another thing you could do is pull all that crap off, don't run any turn signals, strip it down to the bare essentials and call it a day!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Crotch Fruit posted:

Comedy option, right? Although I believe most states (especially the ones near me) do not require turn signals and I ride like I am in invisible, I still enjoy the chance to attempt to signal my intent to the drivers around me.

Not comedy. I'm a firm believer in getting rid of all the extraneous bullshit HD jams on their bikes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
What the hell? The wheel base difference between a sporty and a fat Bob is 4 inches. That's not that much. Forwards controls on a sporty give it the same feel. The sportster forward controls are also better constructed then the Dyna poo poo and the engine and drive train is rock solid. Evo sportys just do not break down as long as you change the oil.

Get a used sporty, swap out for a solo seat and some 14 inch bars and save yourself 10 grand. Then learn to ride a motorcycles before spending a fortune.

Full disclosure: I'm a little over 6'1 and around 200 lbs and I ride a sportster.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

antisocial86 posted:

See I've never sat on a sporty, just been told its way smaller than a Bob. This is why I love you guys. I'll go check one out.

It's going to be much thinner and taller than a fat Bob from the factory. But a low profile solo seat will take some inches off of it. If you find one with the adjustable shocks you can set it to where you like the rear as well. I mean you're a big guy, anything short of an electraglide will look small with you on it. Thats just how it's going to be. Find something that is comfortable for you and isn't xpensive.

Sportys hold their value pretty well so a used one will sell for the same price you bought it for a few years later so long as you haven't wrecked it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Forwards are a must for me n Sportys. It's just necessary.

On that note aftermarket forwards are crap. Factory ones are bullet proof and awesome. Go with the factory models if you can.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
What do you want for the busted up tins?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Looks good man. I'm not one for baggers or flames but that bike looks nice and classic

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

OMGVBFLOL posted:

The pic with all the sheet metal stripped off is gorgeous in its own weird way. What a hulk of a bike.

The giant square frames on baggers always make me stare. It's like.. Why...why is the backbone square?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I like chrome. I chromed a few pieces on my bike. But when you start bolting every chrome piece of poo poo in the catalog onto your penis cruiser then you should get hit by a car.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scrapez posted:

Nice looking bike. If I rode alone I think I'd have a Street Bob. Good power in a smaller frame but bigger than a Sportster so you can put on some miles.

Not to start an argument, but you can put plenty of miles on a sporty. I'm over 6'1" and I have had no issues with any of the bikes I have ridden from a shadow vlx to a sporty to an evo street bob they are all fine. I have even run around on a ninja 250 and haven't had these problems everyone talks about.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

HaB posted:

Ugh. The struggle of 1.25" bars.

So as a dealer option when I bought my Wide Glide, I had Harley's own 12" apes put on. After almost 2 years with them, I want about 4 more inches of rise out of them, so I start looking for 16" apes.

Harley of course has an identical kit, 16" black apes with a riser for like $329. But when I take a look around bars alone are like $130 tops, and I already have the same riser as in the Harley kit. So I do some deeper looking to find something which might fit the bill. I like everything else about the 12s - the width and pullback and angle are pretty much perfect. I literally JUST want my hands 4 inches higher.

Sadly my options loving SUCK. If I get true (more on this in a minute) 1.25" bars with 16" of rise, one of the other dimensions isn't even close. Like width goes from 32" to 39" or pullback gets a similar change. The other options are not-true 1.25" bars which are stepped down for the clamp section. But now I'm having to switch risers as well, and we're back up into prices near the Harley kit.

In the end, after finding bars I like which didn't change much other than the rise and a new clamp, I was at $319. :|

I just went with the Harley kit, because at least I know that one ONLY changes rise. I guess I will try to see if I can Craigslist the riser and maybe get $50 out of it.

Still waiting on them to arrive. Will post before/afters when they are on the bike.

Umm..many didn't you just get some bigger risers? You can get 4 inch risers for 50 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-GLOSS-BLACK-1-1-4-RISERS-W-CHROME-AND-BLACK-CLAMP-/261959272842

There you go man.

Also does the kit come with new cables? Your brake and throttle cables may not be long enough wi 4 extra inches of rise to twist all the way when maneuvering the handlebars. Lots of stock nikes come with a bunch of extra length but sometimes not enough.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 10, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

HaB posted:

Already have 4" risers. And yeah I needed cables too.

So you had 4 inch risers and 12 inch baby apes.. And you wanted to go up to 20 inches total? Are your hands above your head now?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

HaB posted:

Still not installed yet. But 16" apes will put them right at my forehead. Tall man is tall. :)

This is how I envision you

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

HaB posted:

Not at all. I used to ride a chopper that while...not as high as that pic, was pretty high. Like wrists level with the top of my head, and even that wasn't really a problem.

I prefer my hands right below shoulder level.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

this is really funny

I always thought the aesthetics came from work making it look nothing like a HD.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

but if HD seriously means "CHROME CHROME CHROME I LOVE CHROME ALSO LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES" to you then you're part of the problem imo

No I mean more like this

Which is my bike we just finished building and a shameless cross post from my build thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Verge posted:

Same, except I'll ride in ice and rain because Oregon.

Same only I'm in south Texas so what is this "winter" you speak of?

• Locked thread