Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Harley's shown a few times they aren't interested in young people's money.

And they've shown that they are, but it's rarely an original effort. The Hummer 125/165 was created from DKW drawings appropriated from defeated Germans. No big, so was our space program. The Sprint was a rebadged Aermacchi. Still no big, as this was a common practice back in the day, with everyone from Sears to Montgomery Wards selling small displacement gateway drugs.

I don't see the V-Rod being a failure, as it's now in its 10th year. Novelty bikes and non-sellers don't last very long in their stable. Still, it may have jumped the shark since they're having to stick on more and more bizarre drag bike bodywork to get people to look at it. The original is an amazing piece of work.

There is something to be said for not screwing around a great deal with an iconic brand. Anyone remember New Coke? Didn't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Phat_Albert posted:

This is true, but once the boomers go, so will their profits. There are people from younger generations that are into Harleys, for sure. But no generation has loved them more than the boomers.

I agree. But if I had to place a bet on the social security system or HD surviving the boomers, my money would be on MoCo. I occupy that no man's land between Boomer and X, which means I'll get the very first "Sorry folks, we broke" form letter, but I'll get to ride my 125th Anniversary Dyna Mongo Glide down to pick up my government cheese...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Americans need to be told not to eat dessicant, OK? Who was the first genius who thought there was a complimentary snack at the bottom of a shipping box? It doesn't help that we're now bombarded 24/7 with trial lawyer spots suggesting that you sue Weyerhaeuser when you get a paper cut.

I'll keep the plaintiff's logic in mind the next time I'm pulled over on a bike with a speedo capped at 85 and I'm told I was doing 93...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

epswing posted:

What if you were going downhill?? :v:

On that bike, I would need to be going downhill to hit 93 :)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

angryhampster posted:

Size-wise, how much bigger are Dynas than Sportsters? I have an '83 XLS and am considering trading up to a newer (99 or later) Dyna simply so I can be more comfortable when I'm riding. My Sporty is reliable and fun to ride, but I'm 6'1" and it's not large.

I think you're talking about 6-8" of wheelbase depending on the years being compared, and of course the Big Twin. Personally, I think when people stretch out a Sporty and add the large teardrop tanks, etc., they're taking the scenic and more expensive route to a Dyna and usually wind up with a dimensionally challenged, ill-conceived mess. The Sportster is what it is--America's answer to the Bonneville, except we did it harder, we did it faster, and we definitely did it with MORE LOVE, BAYBEEEEE.

I've been contemplating the same move, and really like the mid-aught carbureted Superglides. Red, white and blue of course...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

NoDoorway posted:

Test road a sportster 1200 (custom I think) and a bonneville the other day for giggles.

I still love bonnies. The Harley just seemed lethargic and slow. Handled ok for what it is but yeah, I was surprised at how gutless it was. Also it seemed to lug really easily. I was expecting tonnes of torque and was really disappointed.

Then got back at the Street Triple and was reminded of why I love it so.

I know they've probably done gobs of research and found that their target demographic doesn't care, but to me the Bonnie lost some of its mojo after '06 when they started producing them in Thailand. An abnormally large tank with plastic badges and no added capacity? Really? I'm no purist--if I were, I'd settle for nothing less than a '68, the early high water mark. I believe the 01-06 machines were the best compromise between the classic look and modern reliability. I really hate to quote Billy Joel, but he's right: I like how old bikes look, and how new bikes work. Take a look at an '01 sometime and I think you'll see what I mean.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Scrapez posted:

Anyone need a brand new 1984 XR1000?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/220942214431#ht_500wt_1182

Pretty neat but wonder what the reserve is? I think used ones go for around 15k...

Although it's still crated, you really need to make sure no one has somehow shape-shifted, worked their way through the cardboard seams, and sat on the bike. This Ducati seller addresses this possibility in no uncertain terms:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...=item20c1fbb09b

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This is loving beautiful. It's not even far from stock, it looks like it's just some bolt-ons and powdercoating. gently caress, I want it. I want it so bad.

Clutchpuck is right, the now out-of-production Roadster variant was a great setup that fell out of favor with the advent of the slammed rear end and all the form over function choices that accompanied it. Next to the ground clearance and tachometer, I am probably most envious of the seat they shipped with these, as it was unavailable on any other model.

As far as online parts go, Zanotti was unbeatable pricewise, but they shut their doors at the end of last year--I've read a rumor HD is getting into the online spares business themselves, so goodbye discounts. Fear not. You wouldn't need them for consumables--black and chrome Frams can be found at any Wal-Mart, fluids are fluids, the exception being maybe their branded Sport Trans fluid. You may be stuck with them for batteries--they do a pretty good job of squashing the aftermarket in this case.

In terms of hard parts, I have had to replace exactly ONE component in six years, and the computer threw an error code telling me what it was.

IcedPee posted:

I just picked up this '78 Sportster over the weekend. I don't care if it's a girl bike, I love it :swoon:

Great find. It's like getting the new '72 without signing your life away, and while the bars look like a carpal tunnel nightmare, at least they're not apes. Congrats, it's a beauty.

Could the Sporty be nipping at the heels of the SV as CA hivemind weapon of choice? I demand a recount :)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

It's not a watch, it's a bracelet... My mother in law got me a Harley shirt yesterday. You know because I ride motorcycles. I got lucky though it one of those super sexy night rods and I can live with that.

I'm a bit of a watch ho, and the HD/Bulova relationship is kind of surprising for a few reasons. First, they partnered with an actual watch maker rather than lend their name to an anonymous fashion watch mill, which is the model for 75% of what passes for a "timepiece" in the US (this is what Triumph wound up doing--and I have to admit, they have some great looking watches).

Second, I don't really see the massive HD markup I've come to expect. The pricing is more or less comparable to similar quartz and automatic pieces in the Bulova lineup. One would think HD would have adopted the above model and gone for max margin, as most of their customers wouldn't know the difference or care.

Lastly, the flaming skulls have been kept to a minimum, and the majority are tasteful and office-friendly.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

IcedPee posted:

Am I the only one that finds almost all HD merch just plain ugly? If I ever start buying any of this type of crap for myself, CA has permission to shoot me. Hell, get some cross-forum action with TFR going on. Go nuts.

The majority of it is incredibly tacky, but I do like the stuff that accentuates the vintage bikes of the 40s and 50s--which is probably 2%. When I see entire sections of stores devoted to HD-themed pet supplies and infant wear, I have to believe that at some point the brand manager has to kick the accountants in the face and say enough is enough. I pulled the annual statement once and found that Motor Clothes was a pretty substantial portion of their revenue. Gotta stay alive in the winter, I guess...

I once had an informal cube-row contest to see who could find the most ridiculous piece of licensed merchandise. I think I found a coffin.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

IcedPee posted:

I'm having poo poo luck locating a replacement kickstand. Everything I find doesn't seem to be the kind of kickstand I have. I've found kits to replace the peg and screw for a kickstand like mine, but any kickstand I can find that is supposedly for my bike is one you screw directly onto the frame instead of mount up like the old one. I find this odd as I'm pretty sure the kickstand that snapped isn't a stock kickstand. It's very wide at the bottom.

Ninja edit: Would it be a bad idea to get the old one welded? I feel like it might be..

If you haven't already, I'd recap this dilemma with a couple good pics and post on xlforum.net, directing it at IronMick, specifically. He's the resident Ironhead authority, IIRC. Give that a shot before you proceed, odds are someone will have this in their garage and you'll get it for the price of postage.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Regardless of what you ride, the birth of a motorcycle is a beautiful thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThjYcG9H3Ys&feature=relmfu

<< Eagles crying double-time...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Armyman25 posted:

Made in the USA! (of 50-60% foreign parts)

Indian is more accurate:

From the website FAQ:

Question:

Are your motorcycles made in the USA?
Answer:

We are proud that all Indian Motorcycles are assembled in Spirit Lake, IA.

I don't expect them to disclose sourcing percentages in response to their own question, but it does seem to skirt the issue nicely. So yeah, more accurate in a Clintonian sense.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

clutchpuck posted:

Let's talk about 1200 top end work.

My buell has about 40k

same horsepower as its making now (102 on a Dyno)

Egads, man, you've already achieved two things a typical Sporty motor never sees. Why tempt fate? :) Are you sourcing this from Zipper's?

There's no performance bump, but I've been contemplating a Mikuni HSR42 kit, as they don't seem terribly difficult to install. General consensus is that it improves throttle response/rideability and the tuning bits are more accessible. Actually, for a 100+ hp bike like yours, there may actually be some appreciable gain (assuming you're also blessed with a stock Keihin).

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Sagebrush posted:

Well, so basically all cruisers then is what I meant. I'm not harshing on cruisers, just interested. What do you think is the reason that such a ride isn't more popular with other styles of motorcycle? Age group?

Matures give, on average, $1066 per year to 6.3 charities
Boomers give $901 per year to 5.2 charities
Gen X gives $796 on average to 4.2 charities
Gen Y gives $341 to 3.6 charities.

That's a pretty steep dropoff there, Gen Y.

Also - I'm asking because I don't really know - do sportbikes even lend themselves to such mass formations outside of a track? I can only picture being incredibly annoyed and claustrophobic being cheek by jowl on bikes built for speed.

http://nonprofit.about.com/od/fundraising/a/generationalgivingstudy.htm

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Surging Santorum posted:

Gen Y don't got any jobs.

And as for this "they're all cruisers bullshit," holy christ. Also, sportbike riders GROUP RIDE BRAH to the twisties to do some wheelies crash, cruiser riders go from random point A to random point B just for the hell of it. One of these lends itself much better to charity rides.

Well, there you have it, whoever originally asked the question. Demographics and ride preferences. The kids would rather sing the song of the Sausage Creature and fly off a cliff than run into their inebriated parents at a Poker Run pot luck. Can you blame them?

I've been on a few of these mass moto armadas, and it requires a bit of discipline and gobs of faith in the riders around you. 2-300 Harleys in unison sounds like the Eighth Air Force getting ready to raid Ploesti. It's dramatic and nerve wracking at the same time.

Nowadays, 2-3 additional riders is about all I can take.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Sagebrush posted:

I'd try to avoid that specific comparison, considering just what happened to the Eighth Air Force over Ploiesti.

Would C-47s parachuting Hershey bars into Berlin be sufficiently benign and non-threatening? The comparison had nothing to do with the success or failure of a particular mission, or really anything beyond taxiing. When you take the annoying neighbor with the earth shaking open pipes and multiply it by a few hundred, it's hard to think of a sonic equivalent.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Sagebrush posted:

Chill out. "The eighth air force" is a fine comparison. "The 8th over Ploiesti", though...well, I' just saying that a superstitious person might try to avoid comparing their motorcycle group ride to a bomber mission where nearly a third of the planes were shot down and 660 crewmen died.

People in here are touchy.

Were you not aware that CAHOG stands for Cranky and Hardheaded Old Geezers?

At the risk of sounding like a CAHOG--the worst kind--I should state that not only was I in the Eighth Air Force (The Strangelove Years), I was a staff historian and journalist. So you'll understand why being wiki-fact-checked on a comparison I never made would be more than a little irritating. Ploesti was a mess, but there were others. At the squadron and group level, a 10-20% loss on a mission was another day at the office for these guys. A really bad day might approach 50%. I've listened to their stories, hoisted a glass with them, watched them weep, and yeah, when I read about one of them getting thumped on the head for $42 and a GPS unit, my first impulse is to blow away the son of a bitch that did it. So no--I wouldn't dream of trivializing these men by comparing 50 miles of blacktop to a frozen, flak-filled nightmare.

Trust me, if I were any more chill, I'd be getting CPR.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Hey, does Erik Buell need a job?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonfogelson/2012/03/16/harley-davidsons-willie-g-to-retire/

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

angryhampster posted:

Thanks! It's a 1983. It is in pretty decent shape. Paint has a few chips in it, and there's an oil leak that I can't track down. Other than that, it's really a great bike. It was my father's -- he passed away when I was 3 and left it to me.

Don't.
Ever.
Sell.
This bike.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Armyman25 posted:

Are police model Harley's and better/worse than the regular bikes?

If you were contemplating plunking down 7700, hold out for one that hasn't been bastardized with a can of Krylon. Way newer civilian Road Kings can be found in the 9K range, and it's common for owners to convert from police to civilian anyway. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, but they are different (harness, switches, hard bags, seat, etc.) I'm not sure what the reasoning behind conversion is--it certainly isn't cost savings.

Just my personal theory, but I believe you need to reach a certain tipping point before you haul out a rattle can on a bike like this. What gets you there are things like salvage titles, repetitive breakdowns, a screw-it attitude toward care and feeding, etc. I'd look elsewhere.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

angryhampster posted:

Riding 2-up on a Sportster tends to sucks.

Let us not mince words.

This is why they invented big springy UJMs with sofa cushion seating.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

iwentdoodie posted:

Or buy a Japanese cruiser.

Got a thumbs down on my RD earlier from a guy in a brain bucket on a Road King. Yet every sport bike rider and even a guy on a sportster (in full gear) gave a wave back. Does it cease being a stereotype when it keeps coming true?

I wouldn't draw conclusions based on a small sample. A non-wave I can understand--occasionally a rider is focusing on more pressing matters, or they just plain have their head up their rear end. A thumbs-down is something else entirely--a total karma violation. Which only means he'll pay for it somewhere up the road.

Stay cool, you'll learn to filter out this noise just like the barking dobermans, poorly installed subwoofers, screaming kids, and those random gut-wrenching noises semis make when they're at a light.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Scrapez posted:

Road King or Street Glide air shocks bolt right onto a Sportster with a few washers added and longer bolts. Add 10 pounds of pressure to them riding 2-up and the ride is actually very good.

Seconded. I'm running RK shocks as well. Another cheap alternative is to find shocks from a Roadster, which will also require the longer Roadster kickstand. Sorry, did I say kickstand, I meant jiffystand...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Spiffness posted:

James Toseland buys a Harley...

poo poo, this means that there is at least one Harley rider on the road I can't make fun of. I have to be more discerning now :(

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/james-toseland-gets-a-harley-shocker/20457.html

I'd love to see him rail on that thing

No shocker here...he's a retiree :)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

redscare posted:

Gotta love it when marketing departments don't "get" social media

When the parody has jumped the shark (based on the last batch of pseudo-tweets, it clearly has) does the thing parodied become cool again?

Allow for the possibility that they figured negative/jokester attention was still attention, and everyone who has gone back to the well has repeatedly placed eyeballs on at least three versions of the HD logo, an eagle, a skull, and a bunch of ill-advised US-centric sloganeering that is at odds with the company's global strategy.

That's a net marketing win, actually.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

I don't think any competent marketer actually believes that "any press is good press," especially when marketing a name that has as much traction as HD. Even among controversial campaigns, the negative attention has to remain on the ad, not the product. When your product is being trashed in your campaign without spin or control, no amount of silver lining makes sense.

The campaign started in March. Are you suggesting that they haven't noticed after 2+ months, or that the merry pranksters at CA were the first to exploit it? I love a good joke, and some of the above are first rate. I'm even game for taking it a step further and contacting their people to find out what on earth they were thinking.

As Rev says, this isn't for the converted. Maybe it's for the eventually converted. Sooner or later, you tire of looking like Colonel Stapp in a fetal position, or looking at the 20-year old tarp-covered pile at the back of the garage that houses the big red machine and the testicle jar, assuming you were allowed to keep either. At that point, I don't where else these people would go--all of the bored millionaires trying to make a go of iconic, retro and boutique brands will have moved on to running Napa Valley vineyards with clever names.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I feel bad, cause if Harley people invaded a BMW thread, I'd want to stab them all with a drive shaft.

Hot drat, where do I sign up?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

I'm not convinced those are all BMW owners. I only see a couple Aerostiches.

I really know nothing about the BMW subculture, if there is such a thing. So I waded through some photos to see if they yielded any clues.

Honestly, present company excluded, they look like the same close-cropped, middle-aged, Oakley-wearing, Viagra-popping, Hooters frequent customer card carrying regional sales managers to me. Except they cling to athletic wear a decade after that ship has sailed, their watches are more expensive, and they probably listen to NPR.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

I know a fair bit about BMW subculture. Oakleys and Hooters, no. Athletic wear and NPR, yes. And none of their exhausts will ever wake you up at night.

I'm joking, obviously--I think the only universal truth I've arrived at based on personal experience is that they tend to be engineering/tinkerer/DIY types.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Strife posted:

Uhh,.. so, this came in the mail today:

I look forward to putting it on a shelf and forgetting about it forever.

I hope you have a birdcage for when the magazine shows up. Actually there were TWO up until a few years ago. To be fair, it had become a little less of a corporate wankfest toward the end of my subscription.

Oh, and take the membership card with the roadside assistance number, set it on fire and scatter the ashes so no one ever attempts to use it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

CombatMedic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qDLsf5a4rY

I finally went and got rid of the sewing-machine exhaust and put some man-pipes on this puppy. I'm pretty happy with them, but I can't say the same for my neighbors.

I'm not a LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES guy, but the stock exhaust was like riding a scooter.

The NoiseOff Coalition is on its way. And right on their heels, the entire Broadway cast of Noises Off!

I don't know which is more frightening...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

IcedPee posted:

The rear end end of that looks so heinous.

In other sportster news, I'm sick of my crappy Bendix carb and I just ordered one of these.

Did I overpay? Probably a bit, seeing as a Mikuni VM38 can be had for about $75-$90, but I didn't know where I was gonna get the throttle cable and mounting hardware or even what version of the drat VM38 to buy and this is being sold as a bolt-on replacement.

I am undecided on the air cleaner. I think I could learn to like it.

Crap, I would have sent you a VM38 for postage, though I also have no idea if it would fit your application and what wizardry would be involved to hook it up and dial it in.

Best of luck with this, you should document it from start to finish and post here.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Snowdens Secret posted:

Can someone do a data dump on pre-'04 Sportsters? I'm seeing a bunch of them pop up for cheap-ish on CL lately. Is the older frame-mounted engine as punishing as rumors make it seem? What are good years to look for or avoid? Other than the obvious hamfisted Harley owner aftermarket 'mods', is there anything critical to look out for?

I'm seeing the same phenomenon. I don't think I've ever seen so many drop into the low-mid 3s. Even high 2s if you're willing to go Ironhead. This puts them squarely in inflated UJM territory.

Get to know what a Roadster looks like. Most people who put one up for sale are unaware they have one and market it strictly as a Sportster. This is occasionally true of the Sport version--I know, department of redundancy department--which as Scrapez points out has an atypical amount of stock goodies. Most owners of these, however, realize they've been changing twice the usual number of spark plugs. Hard to miss, therefore usually marketed as "rare."

I have never ridden a pre-rubbermount, but if it's like any other HD hand-me-down wisdom, I'm sure the rep for vibration is somewhat exaggerated. Even if it isn't, the Sportster was never designed to be a long range weapon anyway. V-twins shake. It's what they do. I know we'd all like to reduce it to some innocuous energy pack the size of a Kit-Kat, but if we ever do, re-introducing this shake will be the #1 aftermarket accessory. I'm thinking maybe Sony Dual Shock technology writ large.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Jack B Nimble posted:

Anyway, as far as the shake on this pre-rubber mount bike, I have nothing to compare it to but a sv650 and it seems about the same. If I take the Sportster to work (60 miles one way), I sorta feel live I've just cut the grass when I get done, kinda numb but nothing bad. We'll see how it goes on the longer trip, I'll let you guys know.

Depending on whether you've got the peanut tank or something larger mounted, you're going to be stopping around the 100-120 mile mark anyway. So it'll be like cutting your lawn and the neighbor's. I think I pushed it to 150+ on one leg of my last long excursion, but we're talking exit to exit freeway with a 4 gallon tank and no particular desire to hang out in Kentucky.

Safe travels, and if you somehow wind up at 61/49 in Clarksdale, get a pic with the big blue guitars.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Harley-Davidson recalls '14 Dynas for ignition switch problem:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014308010124

Interesting they'd even honor this, as it's not a defect on a stock bike. No more brass knuckle key chains...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
I'd zoned in on the bit that mentions it only surfaced on bikes with aftermarket pipes, so in that sense they weren't as shipped. However, it's almost a given that they're coming off because performance.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

El Jebus posted:

2006 XH1200 Custom. Supposedly the H stands for higher compression, but you could understand my confusion when it comes up as a XL in VIN checks.

Mine on the right, with a friend's '03 Anniversary.

Let me see if I can clarify, which is usually a fool's errand when it comes to HD models and the lore that goes with them.

For marketing purposes, the two letter Sportster model designator XL has been in use for decades, going back to the end of the K models in the 50s. With possibly a few exceptions (like XR), this is what was used for the first two letters, with any variants coming either after the XL (e.g., XLH, XLCH, XLCR) or after the displacement (XL 1200C/R/L). Every official brochure and ad for the 06 1200 Custom referred to it as an XL 1200C. Same formula for the other models. Some of the rags (Cycle World) got it wrong in year one, which is understandable. Bottom line, I don't believe there was ever an XH, and certainly not in the last decade.

HOWEVER...

Harley's internal tracking systems appear to classify our bikes as XLH1200 Customs. I checked some of my maintenance docs, and sure enough, there it is. I have never seen this bike referred to with this designator anywhere else, and I believe it's just a legacy carryover from earlier models rather than anything special about the motor (I have seen the high compression thing floated elsewhere, but I think it's apocryphal.) To my knowledge the only recent Sporty with factory (non-SE, non XR) performance mods was the Sportster Sport of the late 90s, which had two plugs per cylinder, some sort of gee whiz camshaft, and better suspension.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

El Jebus posted:

Ooops! I actually meant to write XLH instead of XH. You are right that the "official" documentation denotes it as an XLH 1200 Custom while everything else seems to indicate it is an XL1200 Custom.

I'm thinking I need to put on the stock fender this weekend and maybe do the stock exhaust as well. Do I need any special HD tools for either of those jobs or will your standard toolbox contain most of what is needed? Also, anyone recommend a light bar for the front and rear that still looks good? I am surrounded by enough old people that I am in desperate need of more than the single light in the rear.

... black exhaust from headers back? Maybe I need to go that route.

Lights: HD and others make a plug and play module that turns the rear signals into running and brake lights, which is probably the path of least..ahem, resistance. I ran one, but it failed after a couple years, so I winged it and went back to factory except for keeping the red lenses. Up front, honestly, I wouldn't bother. The bike just doesn't have the dimensions to take on big twin-type accessories, and when people try to turn it into something it isn't, it usually ends up looking retarded.

Fenders/pipes: no special tools, but some of the heat shield clamps can be tough to get to. Fender is straightforward. You will want to invest in a QUALITY, US-MADE :911: Torx bit set to go with your ratchets and torque wrench. Find a Sears or Kmart that's going out of business and load up at a nice discount. Actually, go even if they aren't, because their inventory management is so terrible they're in a state of perpetual markdown anyway. These will need to go up to at least T45 for motor mounts, etc. There is a mix of Torx, Allen head, 12-pont, SAE, metric...it's all represented.

As for the headers, I think Scrapez was referring to spares from the Sport model, and I doubt they'd fit this bike--plus they have the exposed crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Pinky Artichoke posted:

So what is the deal with negotiating at a Harley dealer? If I offer them a couple hundred less than the online configurator suggests, will they play ball? I see there's a $1500 mark-up between invoice and MSRP to start with, and I'm sure the accessories have a comfortable margin as well.

Two scenarios, since I'm not quite sure what your approach is:

There is likely more wiggle room with a bike on the floor. Depending on your loc, it's going to be dead stock for the next six months and by spring it'll be old and in the way. You picked the right time to shop. Haggle away, walk away, do the dance, maintain poker face, visit another dealer, repeat as necessary. You have all the time in the world.

If that's incorrect and you're doing the made to order thing, I see no motivation on their end to put the bike together for anything less than list--but I have heard "stories" of price reductions at the upper end of the big twin range. My advice would be to get the bike first, then add the mods as your budget allows. Going through an online HD parts house (Surdyke, etc.) will often be around 25% less than the brick and mortar equivalent. None of this stuff is terribly complicated to install, so why pay their insane labor rates as well?

Keep us posted, I'd like to know how this turns out.

• Locked thread