Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

malal posted:

Tomorrow I pick up my 1979 stroked Iron Head Chopper...also has an extra set of tin, the original chopper was a decent remake of "captain America" from easy rider.

You are standing on the shoulders of giants, and will succeed in your quest. Welcome to the Sporty Goon Squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Strife posted:

Though we are small, we are nimble.

We few, we happy few, we...oy, my back.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

epalm posted:

Sorry, $7k Canadian Funnydollars. A new XL883L "starts at" $10,189 CAD

Oooh Canada.. :smith:

That's a $4K bike all day long, 5 if it's a road babby (add 4-600 loonies to get to CDN $.) The HD tires are actually co-branded Dunlops; Metzelers generally get positive reviews as alternatives. '08 was year 2 of EFI. I would advise against the L model unless you're inseam challenged and absolutely need the bike slammed. If not, hold out for an R or C since you're shelling out that much, and get the 1200 if you're ready. The bike actually has respectable highway range with the larger tank--your backside will need to stop before it does.

Check out xlforum.net, they have a subforum dedicated to the EFI models and you can pick up pretty quickly if there were concerns for that year.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

El Jebus posted:

I've been curious about the vrods, is there a reason they keep their value so well? I see 03 vrods in SoCal for $10k sometimes. They are probably crazy, but still, there are many listed much closer to the price of a new one. A new Night Rod is only $17k or so...

Because some of them are like this:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/4932989172.html

All jokes about polished/never ridden aside, people with $10-20K into a bike anything have a tendency to want to preserve it and stave off depreciation. Second, I'm beginning to hear buzz about HD being back in a position to charge above MSRP in some markets, particularly if you're already bent over and are paying the vig, taxes, destination, undercoating, etc. (making the $17K bike cited above God knows what all in.) This makes the private, string-free used market for HDs in general really, really, really attractive. Given the glacial pace of change year over year (oft pointed out in these pages) there really isn't much feature sacrifice unless you're gaga over the latest tins. Lastly, they just run now. You really have to be an absolute loving dong to kill these motors, the sort that's easily spotted by anyone performing the due diligence that comes with handing over your own cash.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Pinky Artichoke posted:

One of the guys at a local dealership told me HD has provisioning dealers down to a science, so they rarely have anything sitting for long. He said that it was the most efficient system he's seen in his years in the industry. Then you figure a good percentage of people who've decided to pony up for a brand-new Harley probably have specific enough dreams that they'll order a bike with some degree of factory and/or dealer customization.

Geography probably plays a role, too. I know of a used dealer who recently had TWO 2013 883s listed above brand-new sticker price (plus dealer fees). But given his location I suspect he has a lot of recent transplant dot-com kids with money rolling in.

Spot on. This is what I meant by "some markets." I didn't mean to imply that it was a widespread practice, just that the OTD/Total price has more upward pressure now. And when you start putting together an honest, clinical accounting of these costs, a fixed, zero BS price tag on an equivalent bike starts to look pretty good (assuming it doesn't have filigrees, howling wolves and dreamcatchers all over it.)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
complete NOS set of the tins for my bike in the same radical paint scheme

The moto gods were surely smiling upon you this day. NOS and new take-off standard tin sets are out there all day long; this was a rare find and you were right to take the short term financial hit. You'll get the $ back eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Same situation with wheels--between the front and back, I think the Sporty axle size changed no less than 5 times from 04-present. Way to crush everything but the errr, bespoke aftermarket.

• Locked thread