Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was gonna say, "please dont modify it", but I know that wont happen, so godspeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

That thing with the flag on it is the rear suspension damper, right? And does it actually extend when the rear wheel hits a bump? Crazy.

I believe thats the rear shock, and the spring doesnt expand, it contracts like a normal shock, it just sort of works backwards from a normal shock

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you're going to do anything to it, put a bigger headlight on it. That tiny light with all that gap between it and the forks looks weird.

Other than that, awesome bike, enjoy it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deeters posted:

they no longer sell the XR.

:ughh:

This is why Harley is ultimately doomed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The one bike that had some decent crossover appeal to the non-harley crowd, they axe without advertising it.

There isnt an :ughh: big enough

I live in Milwaukee, and this poo poo makes me so drat mad, because I really want to root for them, but they keep pulling the dumbest moves.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No, because it was advertising to the type of people who were already into the XR enough to watch a race series based around it. Also lmao if you think any decent amount of people in the US even know what an AMA series is, or where to watch one (hint: its 3AM on speed channel after 22 hours of nascar is done)

I meant actual advertising. Print, TV, things that will hit millions of people, not the pocket of people that dont need to be advertised to because they already like the XR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know all of the stupid reasoning, its just so drat frustrating to see a local company that has a huge influence around here just piss away opportunities to garner a fanbase beyond their aging current one.

At least EBR is still in the state.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They do print and billboard ads, at least in Milwaukee, although we may be different than other cities for obvious reasons.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

But are they actually model-specific, like
"THE NEW 2013 ROAD KING: PRETTY MUCH EXACTLY LIKE EVERY PREVIOUS ROAD KING BUT IN DIFFERENT COLORS"
because those I can't recall having seen.

Its mostly brand-based advertising, not bike-specific, although certain bikes will be featured in them.

n8r posted:

Harley updates their bikes - they're just restricted as hell as to what they can do because their buyers like "classic" Harleys. They're pretty drat good at what they do though.

This. People dont give Harley enough credit for the things they do well. That EPA spreadsheet posted in one of the other threads reveals that HD is one of the only manufacturer with a full lineup of fuel injected bikes. Let that sink in. Harley is the manufacturer using the most up to date fueling techniques.

They make really good bikes, as good as the Japanese or anyone else, they just dont know how to market them, despite knowing how to market the poo poo out of "the brand", and they dont know how to break away from their classic line without pissing off their fanbase, or having it be a half-hearted attempt (see XR1200R)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It kind of seems like the dealers run the show in the Harley world for some reason

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Almost certainly fuel delivery. How's your choke?

Turn over != fire up

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Imagine having to brake hard, or make a sudden movement, or ride for further than 10 miles/minutes, imagine how bad your hands would fall asleep and get cold even in like 90 degree weather.

That thing may as well be a parade float

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

At least he looks like an rear end in a top hat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Huh, didnt realize that the Ducati thread got renamed to the Harley thread.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OGhipsters.tumblr.com

if that site doesnt exist someone make it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Schlieren posted:

As winter descends, the Harley thread grows quiet... :raise:

It was 31 degrees F this morning as I left for work on my DRZ. The only other bike I saw on the way was a Harley oddly enough.

With no helmet. Holy gently caress.

I had my bar mitts on, warm gloves, a warm jacket, a balaclava, full face helmet, etc and I was still freezing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

frozenphil posted:

I hope some of you own this shirt, it's fantastic.

LMAO

The eagle, symbol of freedom is wearing a helmet, the symbol of not freedom. Immersion ruined.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Heading up to Austin this weekend to pick up an 02 XL1200 Sporty.

It has 30k miles, runs fine, looks good and is going to cost me 2500 bucks.

Hope it all goes smooth.

I guess I dont know what the Harley market is like in Texas, but around here thats only a $2500 bike if theres something wrong with it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guess. I often forget that I am in Milwaukee, epicenter of national Harley excitement, so they hold their value a bit more here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Paytizzle posted:

Hey guys! I just joined the Harley club. Although I think most stereotypical Harley dudes will judge me.

Judge you for owning one of the coolest bikes Harley makes? Surely not.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its destiny. That pipe means you're a goon at heart

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Raven457 posted:

Is it common for a Harley to have that little mileage on it? I mean, that's only averages out to about 1900 miles a year. In any case, it looks good, congrats on your new bike :)

With 26K he'll probably have the Harley museum calling him wanting to put it on display.

Really though Harleys either have a billion miles on them or they have like 300 miles, it seems the inbetweeners are the oddballs around here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doesnt matter if you break down when you trailer the bike everywhere.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You cant make a hardtail handle any worse, so its not like its a downgrade

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kaliber posted:

My dumb rear end told my co worker I would prospect for his stupid wanna be MC when I was poo poo faced drunk. Now they want me to wear stupid leather vest and do mandatory rides and go to church and do car washes and how I owe them $100 in dues.

What the gently caress is this poo poo guys?? And why did every single person in that stupid club blow up my phone when they saw me in the dealership looking to trade my harley for a Street triple or XR1200 telling me I can't buy non american. No wonder my other co worker stop riding with those idiot wanna be 1%ers.

harleyownership.rtf

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HD, release the full loss oil system and a carb with a wick for a mainjet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"Automatic Breakdown System"

• Locked thread