Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
As a VRSCDX owner, I fully support this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Phy posted:

Whatever-Rod: It has a motor developed by Porsche for Erik Buell that we then stole and bastardized until he couldn't use it. Also it looks like something Cloud Strife would ride.

My Genuine Harley-Davidson(R) Brand Motor Accessories(R) Buster Sword(R) is on backorder.

Does anyone have a theory why the V-rod line isn't more popular? It's priced close to the Dyna line, yet it has a much more modern engine, lots more HP and torque, not styled like Grandpa's bike, but it is still a Harley.

I feel like if they marketed it as "Not your father's Harley" they might actually sell a few.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

To modern/modern looking, not enough chrome, doesn't look good with whitewall wheels, etc. I remember asking a harley guy about it and he just shook his head and went "nah no thanks".

Well yeah, Harley guys aren't gonna buy it. Think about the problems Cadillac had 10 years ago. Most of their buyers were old, and dying. The cars were big, slow, and comfortable. They had big displacement V-8s that were more or less unchanged since the early 80s, and young people saw Cadillac as the old peoples' brand so they weren't buying.

Harley is gonna have that same problem once all the baby boomers get too old to ride motorcycles.

Cadillac has more or less redefined their image by marketing the poo poo out of the CTS series and how it has 550+ horsepower and 'Ferrari is using OUR suspension' :smug:

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Armyman25 posted:

Well, it's not a Harley (and that's the point), but I am really enjoying my Indian now that the engine got sorted out.

The biggest annoyance is the most common street speeds (30-40) seem like they fall between gears.

Is Indian still in business?

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

What's the best way to pick up a biker slut?

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Since I'm apparently the forums standard-bearer for the V-rod, the 2012 Night Rod Special is way more comfortable than the previous model years. I'm 6' and it fits me perfect. Upright seating and no more "clamshell" position.

However, there's no way you'll get a '12 as a rental.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Giblet Plus! posted:

I got a 2000 buell blast on craigslist a few months ago:

things I've fixed so far:
  • new avon viper stryke tires
  • new rear wheel bearings
  • new rear rotor
  • new air filter
  • engine oil & filter
  • new low seat
  • rejetted to match v & h exhaust that came from po

things I still plan to do:
  • replace front blinker
  • change primary/transmission oil
  • front pads
  • brake fluid

Why not just smash your dick repeatedly with a hammer instead?

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Well, one one hand, I respect anyone who rides, and if your bike works for you, then gently caress anyone who thinks otherwise.

But I did my MSF class on a blast, and they just seemed...dangerous.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Probably Hates You posted:

How so? I'm genuinely interested here as I've never actually ridden a Buell before and only hear nothing but bad things about the blast.

What about it felt dangerous to you?

se: Giblet, what are your thoughts on the blast? What bothers you and what do you love?

First thing I noticed was the complete lack of a "friction zone" with the clutch. It was either engaged or it wasn't, which led to the thing jumping out from under you when you are going slow.

We had 2 guys in our group on 2 different Buells lose control and crash because of it.

Everything on the bike seems to be made from pot metal or plastic.

The seat did have a tendency to slide you forward for some reason.

I guess I just don't understand why someone wouldn't have just spent 5 grand on a scooter instead of the worst production bike ever made.

CombatMedic fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 15, 2011

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

TheKeeper posted:

Me and my bike support this thread.

'08 Night Rod Special and my first Harley. Bought in April and rode the poo poo out of it all summer, but alas in about an hour I'll be heading out to put it in hibernation for the winter.

Coming from a Kawasaki Vulcan the riding position required some adjustment to be sure, but once I got used to it I loved it. My only complaint is that the stock seat is a bit uncomfortable for long rides, which it why I'll be replacing it before the start of the '12 riding season.

Sup Night Rod buddy?

Have you run into any quirks or problems besides the seat?

Here's another shot of mine:

CombatMedic fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 21, 2011

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

TheKeeper posted:

That sir is a fine looking ride. What seat do you have? That little indent for the tailbone looks mighty comfy!

For reference I'm 6'2, ~250lbs.

Not really, other than the previously mentioned adjustment period. When I was driving it home from the dealer I was convinced I would change out the handlebars and add a windshield, but after riding it for a week or so I changed my mind.

That said it can get a little tiring keeping my feet planted on the pegs when traveling at highway speeds (65 - 75mph) for extended periods of time, but I try to limit my time on highways anyway as I prefer utilize back roads while riding.

There's also the ego inflating bonus of having every gas station attendant who's assisted me when filling the bike saying it was one of, if not the, coolest bikes they'd ever seen (a sentiment shared by most of my friends). It's also surprising how very few people even know this bike exists, let alone that it is, of all things, a Harley. The bike definitely turns heads.

That is the new stock seat for 2012. It's why I spent the extra money on a '12 instead of a used '11. Really comfortable. It doesn't create any hot spots, and is good for several hours of riding without walking away with cramps.

They also moved the handlebars up and back, so you are more or less upright unless you're a short person.

And yes, I'm a fairly introverted person, but the number of people stopping to say they like my bike has been pretty awesome.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I like the Muscle personally:

Mostly for tail. It'd be awesome if you could get one with mid-controls rather than the stupid arma and feet stretched right out riding position. Actually, if you could fit a Street Rod with the Muscle bodywork, that'd be awesome.

I'm not a "chrome" guy, first of all.

I went into the dealer who happened to have a Muscle and a Night Rod. The Muscle looks MUCH better in pictures. For some reason, the satin finish just doesn't 'pop out' in real life. I really think it should be chrome. Also, after the redesign, the NRS is more comfortable than the Muscle, at least for me. I was still stretching to reach the bars on the Muscle, albeit slightly.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Giblet Plus! posted:

wouldn't it make more sense to just buy the '12 seat?

Well, the seat and the reduced-reach bars. And the warranty.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

How did this get in my kitchen? :iiam:

Don't judge me. The apartment complex says there is a 3 month wait on garages, and I'm leaving for a month for work.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

How comfortable do you think the '12 would be for a nice long tour, like a few thousand miles?

Doable, although you'd want a windshield I'm sure. And some kind of storage. The seat/riding position would be fine, though.

I'm planning on doing that next summer.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Actually my biggest issue doing long rides with forward control is that pressure you use to keep your feet planted on the pegs at highway speeds. Its not much, but after a few hours it gets old.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

So, Babby's First Mod is going to be adding a 12v power adapter to my 2012 Night Rod Special.

Does Harley make something like this?

The only relevant thing I see on their website is this:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...&bmLocale=en_US

Would I need some kind of aftermarket 12v cigarette lighter socket that plugs into this?

I'm sort of surprised this is even an issue...You'd think Harley would have a simple solution for people who want to run a GPS or radar detector or camera on their handlebar.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Deeters posted:

Harley has a cigarette lighter plug (91843-97), it's probably listed under Touring. You should be fine with an aftermarket one to save some money, but I'm pretty sure that official Harley one has the right clips on the end of it to make things a little easier. Your V-Rod's wiring harness probably doesn't have an open accessory plug though, which is what the adapter you found was for.

Ah, perfect. The only thing that concerns me is that the wire length on both those would be pretty short. Do you know what kind of plug that is, if I needed to buy an extension?

Also "Laser-etched Bar and Shield Logo" on a Goddamn cigarette lighter. Oh H-D, you so crazy.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

http://www.tabperformance.com/servlet/the-Night-Rod-Special-VRSCDX/Categories

So I'd like to swap out my stock mufflers without spending a shitload of money.

Tab has an air filter, fuel manager, and muffler system that will run about $600 for everything.

From what I've read, the fuel manager is horrible and I'll be killing babies if I use it etc. etc.

I'm not really keen on a $300 trip to a dyno on top of $600 for exhaust/filter/fuel manager.

I'm not super-worried about losing/gaining 1 horsepower. I just want to add a little rumble to the exhaust without worrying about loving up my engine.

Exhaust swaps are so common that its hard to find a straight answer online.

Whats the best way forward here?

CombatMedic fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 30, 2012

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

Typically if you have a stock air filter and header you can probably do mufflers without any fuel management and get away just fine. If you add a K&N, the throttle response is likely to get pretty snatchy as the engine runs leanish.

That type of fuel controller is easy to fiddle with yourself. It's like an electronic jet kit. If you're just in it to tune for the exhaust, you probably don't need a dyno appointment; your butt and ears should be fine. Is this particular fuel controller supposed to be bad, or is it about the EPA knowing what's best?

Its hard to judge from forum posts because people who complain about the tab fuel manager don't say what they were expecting.

I don't mind if it makes me lose 1 horsepower, or my MPGs drop by 1%. I just don't want to blow up the engine or lose throttle response or create backfires, etc.

I just want something 'adequate'. I'm not gonna be racing Hayabusa's on a dragstrip.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Judging from their twitter/facebook feeds lately, and now this "jumpstart" thing, Harley is REALLY pushing women riders in their marketing.

Which is fine by me, because I won't ever ride 2 up.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

The difference is Air cooled bikes love freedom and hate cagers and liquid cooling bikes are for fanny-pack wearing europeans and those shifty asians.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qDLsf5a4rY

I finally went and got rid of the sewing-machine exhaust and put some man-pipes on this puppy. I'm pretty happy with them, but I can't say the same for my neighbors.

I'm not a LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES guy, but the stock exhaust was like riding a scooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

The V-rods live another year. I loving love my NRS and, along with the xr1200x, think Harley is loving retarded for not marketing the poo poo out of these bikes. I lose count of how many guys in their 20s and 30s have told me they love it, and they "didn't know Harley made a bike like that."

• Locked thread