Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The Bananana posted:

It's an insurance scam!

Most likely. There was a $1000 security deposit and you had to pay for insurance. And I'm sure the bike was probably a rebuilt they got on the cheap in the first place.

It gets totaled, they probably make good money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Yes. It's torx and they strip easily. Go slowly and apply some pb blaster and let soak before you try.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Don't strip them. It's not fun.

If you do:

1. Cuss a lot
2. Try an Allen wrench (won't work)
3. Try a flat head screw driver wedged into what's left of the torx head. (Won't work)
4. Use heat and try the above (won't work)
5. Cut a notch into the head with a dremel and use a flat head screwdriver to remove (might work)
6. Buy an EZ Out that you put into a drill to remove it (might work)
7. Buy a whole new primary cover because even the EZ Out won't remove the bolts that the previous owner put into the derby cover with loctite and/or 500 lbs of torque.

Ok step 7 may be very specific to my situation on my bike.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I like my auto canceling signals. I've never had an issue with them to be honest.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

epalm posted:

Had to take a couple weeks off riding because I messed up my ankle. Riding my Heritage with fresh eyes , I noticed how much the handlebars are out of alignment. Is this just a question of loosening a few bolts, wiggle wiggle, re-tighten?

Edit: would this correlate to the bike gently wobbling at 70+ mph? I'm starting to notice that I need to hold 'er steady, but it wants to wobble. It's subtle, but it's there. Anything I can do/check, or should I just take it to the shop.

You can loosen the bars and adjust to see if that's your problem. It's possible someone has dropped it at some point and bent the bars if you bought it used.

The wobble you describe sounds like "head shake" which is pretty common on the touring bikes. I would make sure your steering neck bearings are in good shape and don't have any slop.

On my Road King, no matter what I do, I get some head shake at 70ish mph when I have the windshield on it. It's annoying as hell.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

epalm posted:

Shouldn't "touring motorcycles" be 10000% solid at highway speeds? Am I crazy to think it's crazy that this is a common thing?

Should be but it is a very common issue. I think it afflicted the older frame models up to 2007. The newer frame I don't believe has the issue as much.

With mine, it doesn't happen all the time but if I have the windshield on and kind of a cross-wind or tail/cross-wind, I notice a slight vibration/wobble. If I take my hands off the bars, it definitely ticks back and forth slightly. Doesn't happen when the windshield is off or there's not the right wind. So it has to do with buffeting on mine.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

PSA: If you have a bike that has a twin cam 88 with the old style tensioners (99-06 years) INSPECT THEM WELL!

My inner tensioners failed, crank run-out is way out of spec. Took out oil pump, lifters, cams, etc.

Having said that, having motor built back up with new crank, new style hydraulic cam plate/oil pump, cams and doing 95 big bore while it's apart.

Anyone here running an 88 that's been bored to 95 and running aftermarket cams? What are you running?

I'm thinking of going with Screamin Eagle 204 as everything I've read says they come on quickly in lower rpm range. I'm not going to be porting the heads at this point since I'm already sinking a poo poo ton of money into the thing. Any thoughts on cam selection from a tried and true setup would be great.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I looked at a ton of motors but in the end, saving $1000 and having a motor of unknown history wasn't worth it. So, having then build mine. Plus, the serial numbers on the bike will still match now.

I thought about doing a 103" crank since it's getting replaced but to be honest, they don't seem to make much more power than a 95" and then you kind of have a one off. I'm looking for reliability and not crazy power.

It's getting built as a 95" with S&S 510 cams. Can keep the stock valves with them since they're low lift cams. Should make good power and it's a proven reliable combo.

Definitely will keep an eye on the tensioners. I didn't want to go gear drive unless I had the crank welded or went with an S&S 3 piece crank.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Definitely doing the hydraulic tensioners. They come with the higher flow oil pump which is a nice bonus.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Been awhile since I had my sporty but are you saying you've removed the air cleaner cover (2 Philips head screws) and the filter and you're trying to remove the plastic backing from the carb?

I thought they were either Philips screws or perhaps torx. Are you saying they are some type of plastic screws?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Are you talking about these two bolts that hold the air cleaner backing plate on?

They screw into the heads I believe and I'm not sure how those would just spin unless the insert in the head is spinning with the bolt...

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Anyone running one of the EBay led headlights? My low beam stopped working today.

Considering trying these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/192228772563

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I ordered a set of LED headlight/passing lights off Ebay so we'll see how they are. For $100 I figured it's worth the gamble.

On a separate note, My chain tensioners in my twin cam 88 Road King took a crap and the whole cam chest proceeded to get shredded. Crankshaft runout was like 27 million inches or thereabouts. (Completely hosed)

Sooooooo. Just got my bike back with brand new crankshaft, S&S 510 cams, S&S hydraulic tensioner/cam chest upgrade with better oil pump, 95" big bore top end. Still breaking the bike in so going easy on it but holy poo poo is it an improvement over a stock TC88. I kind of wish I'd gone with a different cam that has it's powerband a bit lower in the rpm range but it's still really awesome. At 75 on the highway it is right in the powerband and holy poo poo what a difference. It will be fun riding solo on and thrashing on a bit. Do wish the power came on sooner for 2-up riding, though.

I went from a sporty with 1250/cams/heads, etc doing around 90 hp to a Road King with a stock tc88 so these upgrades make the bike a lot more fun to ride and a lot more like the sporty was.

Plan is to ride it this fall and then have it dyno tuned in the Spring. I got a new base map from DynoJet and threw that on it today. DynoJet is really awesome about customer service, by the way. I didn't do anything with the heads. Down the road, I may switch out the S&S 510 cams for something more aggressive and higher lift and have the heads done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Strife posted:

Yesterday I traded in my 2011 Nightster for a 2018 Sport Glide.

The comfort level of the Nightster could be considered "cruel and unusual" where with the Sport Glide I was not even aware of potholes or manhole covers. Also it has cruise control, which is something I've wanted in a motorcycle since I finished the basic rider's course.

The problem is that this is apparently such a new model that there's little in the way of aftermarket exhaust for the thing. V&H makes Short Shots for the FLSB, but I'm concerned that the exhaust being right under the rear bags would be an issue. I've never had bags before. There's also a performance thing. They were weird when I put them on my Nightster until I tuned it, and HD apparently won't sell the super tuners anymore.

Or I could just wait until V&H releases the 2-1 in late June, which just means I have to sound like a Jetson's car for a few months.

Nice bike!

Wait for the 2 into 1. The short shots are short drag pipes and rob torque. The 2 into 1 will give better performance.

• Locked thread