Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

CombatMedic posted:

Does anyone have a theory why the V-rod line isn't more popular? It's priced close to the Dyna line, yet it has a much more modern engine, lots more HP and torque, not styled like Grandpa's bike, but it is still a Harley.

I read somewhere that the Vrods support Harley's business overseas. They aren't really for Americans.

As an aside, I wonder if the folks who dismiss Harleys because they vibrate have actual experience riding one. Rubber-mounted touring models are smooth as glass anywhere over idle. Heck, solid-mounted Buell XB models are relatively smooth next to say a Suzuki GSX750 when actually moving, what vibration is present is much lower frequency than that buzzy four so you don't get handshake-buzzer'd at certain RPMs, it's more of a comfortable throb.

And speaking of collective cooling, I'm a little curious about what the traditionalists will think of http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/06/20/harley-davidson-water-cooled-heads-patent/

Is it just me or is the new Switchback model a dead ringer for my dumpy ol Yamaha? I've always suspected this Vstar is a nod to AMF Harleys, but now I think I have my confirmation.

vs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Harley anatomy thing posted:

Little-known fact: most of your stopping power comes from the front brakes.

*deep sigh*

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It just seems like that should be pretty basic common sense. I'm aware it isn't but it just kind of blows my mind that that's the case. And there it is right there, Harley coming out and saying that their demographic can't ride.

Fortunately, the dudes I ride with who are on Harleys, are not that brain dead.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

elsanto posted:

Always wanted to try out a Buell Lightning. A naked sportbike with a Harley engine sounds interesting, plus they look cool as poo poo. What are they like to own?

I've got some miles on a Ulysses. All that torque makes you feel like a stuntman from every stoplight. You really have to shift your weight forward to keep the front wheel down even with lazy acceleration. It is so awesome.

Service can be a breeze or it can be dicey; XB12s seem to walk a fine line between well-engineered simplicity and cad-designed how-did-they-even-get-that-there-in-the-first-place.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

CombatMedic posted:

Doable, although you'd want a windshield I'm sure.

I tour without a shield. I don't enjoy how stiflingly hot it gets in the desert behind a windshield and I feel that I have a lot more hot weather stamina riding naked with a full face.

There are a lot of other reasons, but I'll summarize by suggesting everybody try touring shieldless at least one time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
After 1000 miles shieldless on the interstate, your comfort tolerance should go up to like 80-85 MPH. 60-65 MPH feels like a light breeze to me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Olde Weird Tip posted:

You can look at it from the flip side as well. If you think your bike has ABS, and the light doesn't come on when it does it's quick diagnostics and gauge sweep when you turn it on, you should take it to the dealer to find out what's wrong with your ABS.

Huh, I wonder if this means my lovely ol' Ranger has ABS. The light comes on when I start it and then turns itself off immediately. Am I an idiot for assuming my truck DOESN'T have ABS when it may possibly actually come equipped?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looks like I am going to add a Buell to the stable this weekend. 2006 Ulysses with heated grips, V&H can, dyno tuned ecm mapping, and a spare saddle. I'll post pics when I get it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I suck at phones, why can't I make pictures look right?

Bike rips real good. Took it for a lap around town after I got it home. Haven't heard the fan come on but it's cool out and the engine wasn't super hot when I parked it. Standard (tall) saddle is TALL. I was so tired of scraping board at like 15 degrees or whatever, being able to corner is so nice.

I could have rode out to get the bike, didn't really need the truck. It would definitely have been pretty cold though.

Today I learned that if you do a trade with no cash involved, you get out of title transfer taxes. Cool.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 12, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

So my dad has an '03 XL883R he half-heartedly wants to get rid of, and every now and again I toy with the idea of buying it from him. Then I think about pushing a 530lbs beast around and dealing with Harley shops for parts and I reconsider.

An 883 is no superbike but it's a fun little scoot and the R is probably the best trim package. In fact I have a friend who recently got a XL883R to go with his 2t Stella and he absolutely ADORES the Harley.

As far as parts go, order them online if you dislike Harley shops. Sound Harley up north of Seattle is actually not too bad, I like going in there. Seattle HD in Lynnwood, though, is terrible - they really vary shop to shop.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looks like the Buffalo Chip is nailing down mainstage performers for the Black Hills Rally right about now, I have "more than a feeling" that Boston is playing on the 7th.

So which of you goons are planning on making the trek this summer? I don't want to hear any "I don't like country music" or "I am too much of a sperg to leave my house", or "lol Hardleys aren't they uncomfortable"; those are little boys'/little girls' excuses. Ride your poo poo to Sturgis and gawk at middle-aged titties like a proper adult.

I'll be rolling in on the 6th mid-afternoon and getting out on the morning of the 8th. Plan is to see Mt. Rushmore, drink beers at One Eyed Jack's, hang out at the Full Throttle Saloon, and see Boston at the 'Chip.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That looks like fun but the handlebars make my wrists weep.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is that an excuse?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

IcedPee posted:

Am I the only one that finds almost all HD merch just plain ugly? If I ever start buying any of this type of crap for myself, CA has permission to shoot me. Hell, get some cross-forum action with TFR going on. Go nuts.

Of course not but its no more ugly than the shirts from rallies and Podunk Towns in my normal rotation. Heck I get Harley dudes making fun of my 2010 Sturgis shirt.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Let's talk about 1200 top end work.

My buell has about 40k. I'm riding it to Sturgis this year. And it does consume a moderate quantity of oil.

The trend among these Harley based motors seems to be new rings every 40 or so. Mine is about due.

I'm looking at options and a 1250 kit is on my radar. I can probably get that done for around 1000 including Dyno tune.

Let me know if this sounds crazy: do a 1250, stock heads, stock cam, and dial back the timing a touch. shoot for same horsepower as its making now (102 on a Dyno) for overbuilt underdressed reliability that should run well on cheap gas in a pinch (i've been there).

New stock rings would be way cheaper but I have to drop the motor out either way. That'skind of a big deal.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I do have access to a good engine builder, bonus he's expressed interest in labor trade for website work.

But I've been reading the instructions from the 1250 kit supplier and general "this is how to do it on a Sporty" walkthroughs, and I can get the 1250 kit with the rings preinstalled on the pistons from the factory. This seems doable in the garage and I'd love to do it myself. I can always truck it to the tuner.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I was looking at Hammer, they seem to have good reputation.

'06 XBs like mine do about 105 stock at the crank, and mine's been uncorked and remapped on a dyno; I pulled the 102 number from the papers that came with the bike, not my rear end - how optimistic was the dyno though, 18,000 miles ago... They respond well to breathing upgrades and tune, I am not in crazy power land or anything, the bike is about where it should be.

I'm basically looking for status quo, power-wise, but with a more tractory torque curve so I can poo poo my pants at a lower RPM. New rings, pistons, cylinders, and top end seals/gaskets should take care of its expensive AMSoil habit.

Scrapez posted:

Can't imagine what 103 HP feels like

Probably similar to yours, minus 100 lbs, with a bigger dose of rev limiter. A lot of the power lives at 6-7k. I usually keep it under 6.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ha, I just got the bike, those aren't my miles. I'm working on sorting everything out in anticipation of summer. It needs new rings, and the whole 1250 idea is a "while the engine is out anyway" sort of deal.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You don't need a lot of gearbox control on a drag bike. Whack the throttle open and hang on tight!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You guys crack me up sometimes. Of course it can be comfortable. Stretching your limbs out feels pretty good. Do you occasionally stand on your pegs or shake out your arms at stops? Its kind of a similar thing with apes and foot options. And wind isn't as bad as people make it out to be, once you get used to the pressure its pretty much a non-issue for anything except extremely hyper-legal speeds.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yep, put some weight on the pedals and light grip on the bars. Lap of luxury

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

Well, so basically all cruisers then is what I meant. I'm not harshing on cruisers, just interested. What do you think is the reason that such a ride isn't more popular with other styles of motorcycle? Age group?

I see a bunch of motorcycles.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've always thought the Ulysses sounds like a P-47, humming down the road. I went for a ride last night with my friend on his Ulysses and together they make a pretty great racket.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Typically if you have a stock air filter and header you can probably do mufflers without any fuel management and get away just fine. If you add a K&N, the throttle response is likely to get pretty snatchy as the engine runs leanish.

That type of fuel controller is easy to fiddle with yourself. It's like an electronic jet kit. If you're just in it to tune for the exhaust, you probably don't need a dyno appointment; your butt and ears should be fine. Is this particular fuel controller supposed to be bad, or is it about the EPA knowing what's best?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Giblet Plus! posted:

gently caress THE HATERS

I like your bike... and your helmet. Lost any fillings yet :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For a street bike, it's very nice. Stopping power is about as good as you'll ever need, and the single rotor and caliper is a recipe for inexpensive maintenance.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Armyman25 posted:

Are police model Harley's and better/worse than the regular bikes?

No locking latches on the bags - those are not cheap to replace. Also, it's a twin cam 88". If I were looking at late '90s RKs, I would be all about finding a nice unmolested later 80" Evo, '98s are great.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Better than a bowling equipment company with a motorcycle arm am I right.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Obviously that guy doesn't know what's up. I say that as a Harley fan and a Yamaha 2 stroke rider.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

iwentdoodie posted:

Or buy a Japanese cruiser.

My Vstar was as good or better than a Road King in almost every practical, objective measure, except probably the finish details (vstar has a lot of chromed plastic, weak switch gear) and maintenance routines. Better fuel economy, cooler running, faster acceleration, better cornering, better brakes.

It still wasn't nearly as nice to ride as a Road King. I'd trade all of those advantages for the Road King's butter smooth ride, low maintenance, timeless looks, and superior details.

...if I could afford it. Vstars weigh in at a little under half the price and that can be, and was, a powerful equalizer.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My Buell's FSM was talking about removing the jiffy stand for whatever operation I was reading through. Was confused. "I have a side stand but I see no jiffy stand."

Had to look it up and then I felt a little dumber and a little smarter all at the same time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Any of you fellas know a thing or two about tuning ECMs, even specifically Buell ECMs? My Ulysses has a dyno tuned fuel map set with a static AFV and the O2 sensor disconnected. It is tuned well for sea level, but I like to tour and I am concerned about fouling plugs going over the continental divide or whatever.

If I reconnect the O2 sensor, it is going to lean the whole map out as learn-mode calibrates itself by applying global injector duration corrections to get it as close to 14.7 AFR as it can.

I seem to have a couple options (and maybe more I am not aware of?):

1. Have the bike re-tuned on a dyno, and target 14.7 in the learn mode region of the RPM/TPS grid (<30% throttle, steady 1500-4000rpm). The drawback is that it will run hot.

2. Get a wide-band O2 sensor and controller setup similar to the Zeitronix Zt-3, and configure the narrow-band output to switch over at 13.4ish.

Any advice? Other options I should explore?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 17, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That makes sense, if carb'd bikes can do Teton Pass, I guess my static-tuned bike can?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My Uly waves to Harleys with its wheel in the air

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

americanzero4128 posted:

I think the potato one is my favorite.

It won't be when you find out it's mine!

I didn't want to be mean :)

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 18, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Their big seller in Europe is already liquid cooled, so there's that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Unless, of course, you want performance out of your bikes.

:v: "Performance" - horsepower is cool and all, but for a street bike I kind of just want it to be comfortable and fun.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Saga posted:

Monster 1100 Evo is about 100hp and not very much weight in a nice stiff chassis. Definitely enough to send "cagers" into paroxysms of self-righteous rage as you wheelie by, and to deliver on a track day.

To me, not having to deal with a cooling circuit is a nice trick if you can manage it. Also less clutter for when you need to fit that new head. :stare: Now if only my legs fit on a Monster and I had £9,000 to spare...

This is pretty much the same story with XB Buells. Except they're like $4-6k and already have miles of legroom.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Saga posted:

Oh, I remember those colours, it was 1983 and I was watching Buck Rogers.

Yeah they all come that color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you get the right one, they're pretty roomy; the wife isn't exactly pint-sized and she fits on the back with room to spare.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 23, 2012

• Locked thread