Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So, I'm planning on buying a bike in about a year (stationed at Kunsan AB right now, so no point getting one I can't ride), and have been looking at HD's since we can get pretty decent deals on them through AAFES. It would be my first bike, but i have a bit of experience riding other people's bikes and have ridden a scooter as my primary vehicle for 3 years. I've been to the MSF, and have all the fundamentals down for the most part.

My question is: how big of a bike should I get? My family is full of riders (responsible, MSF taking, gear wearing riders), and they are telling me not to get an 883 because I'll get bored really fast. They all seem to think I should start with a Switchback or Fat Boy (I know...I shouldn't buy a new bike as my first bike, but getting a new HD tax free and about $2k cheaper than a dealer in the states is very tempting). I really wish we could test ride them on base, rather than just sit on them. I may have to make a trip to Seoul, where I can least cruise around their lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Z3n posted:

Don't buy a new bike for your first bike period. Tax free and 2k off is nothing compared to what you can pick up a used bike for. The AAFES stuff is a huge scam designed to take advantage of people.

That's what I keep telling myself. I just want to get a used Virago 535 or something after I leave here and go to Japan. The constant peer pressure gets to me, though, so it's good to hear it from someone else. You'd think after happily riding a 49cc bike for 3 years I'd be immune to the "get a bigger bike" stuff, huh?

EDIT: I've taken the MSF and have my class M license. I'm not going back to the states (going to Misawa, Japan), so I'm going to have limited people I can borrow from and ride around. I'm also not sure how many places there will be nearby for test rides, and such.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 13, 2012

• Locked thread