Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Sorry for being a dick posting this in the Harley thread when I have nothing useful ever to contribute to the Harley thread, but when was the last time HD made a bike as light as 500lb? Wouldn't that have been like the 50s/60s 750s?

My '83 XLS weighs 520 dry and that's with the big tank and twin discs up front. I'd imagine the peanut-tank bikes of the era were under 500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I've recently noticed a little more valvetrain noise than normal in my '83 XLS. Heads are stock, and it had a valve job around 5000 miles ago. I pulled the pushrod covers off today and none of the pushrods had excess play. I haven't noticed any new oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets. What else could I check?

I first noticed it after I converted the bike to an alternator, instead of the factory generator. The alternator is considerably quieter. Could it be that the valves have always sounded this way? The bike runs just as good as it always has.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

R models had double front discs, XL883R/XL1200R.

Not recent, but the XLS did in the 80s as well. Which was strange.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

After an obscenely busy year I've gotten time to get my bike started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIdYZXAeOs

She still needs some work, but runs well considering the lack of anything over the last couple years.

• Locked thread