Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I posted this in the PC parts picking thread in SH/SC but someone suggested I might get better responses in here. From a glance at the thread so far, looks as though Audioengine A2's may be the go for me? Or is there a better pair of passives I can get for my price range since I already have an amp I can use? Copy & paste below:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I am after a pair of bookshelf style speakers for my PC. In the past, I was using crappy Logitech 5.1 type surround speakers, but lately I have been using headphones instead. I bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD400s powered through a little USB amp (can't remember exactly what it is but I want to say it's a µDac?).

After using decent headphones, it sounds so crappy going back to the Logitechs when I want to use speakers. Anyway, I have a Yamaha amp sitting around (can't remember the model, but paid around $400 for it about 4 years ago for my home theatre and have since upgraded) I can use to power passive speakers if they're better within my price range. This is for music (mainly metal) and games and I'm looking for quality over power output/volume. I want to spend around $200, but don't mind spending an extra $50 or even $100 if it's a huge step up in quality.

Ninja edit: Should mention I am in Australia if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU