Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

surf rock posted:

Has anyone used the Logitech Z323 speakers? I've been using this Logitech Z205 clip-on speaker for my laptop for a few years now and it's OK, but I just got a larger desk and I have room for a couple of small speakers, so I was hoping to upgrade.

My budget is <$150. I mostly listen to music (indie rock, nothing with super-heavy bass or whatever) and watch Netflix shows with my computer, so I don't think my use case needs anything too special.

Also, I've never had a subwoofer before. I realize this is a stupid question, but does that go on the desk or the floor?

Subwoofers go on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Is there any significant choice to be made about speakers in the <$50 range?

I am buying something to listen to while at work so small form and low price really are the most valuable factors, for me.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

whats up folks. it's finally time to upgrade from my logitech x-530 2.1 system i found in a thrift store one and a half decades ago. i know it's on the cheap end but i generally don't have a problem with the sound, which is fine. i would prefer something straightforward in wiring, that just plugs right into the computer. i would like something that looks a little nicer, maybe plausibly "mid-century modern" (don't roll your eyes at me!!) or at least isn't just a big black box sitting on my desk. i would prefer something under $300 but maybe stretch up to $400 if you think it's really worth the money. any suggestions?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Here's what I've seen that's interesting to me. Any particular recommendation among these?

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1: seems straightforward enough. couple small speakers on the side and a subwoofer down below. $110. Subwoofer and volume control right on top, which is nice. Looks "fine." Not particularly nerdy/gamer-y, not particularly nice either. it's Fine.

Edifier stuff: there's a bunch of products and I can't really tell the difference between them.
R1280DBs: for $160 I get a couple moderate sized (9.5inch high) bookshelf speakers with bluetooth connection and a subwoofer out. Looks great, very modern.
R1280Ts: For $100 I get the same as above, but with no bluetooth connection. $aving$!!
MR4: $130 for a pair of white speakers, same size. no sub out i guess. is this just a slightly cheaper version of the above? is it more tuned for audio production? what's the difference

Would I be able to use my old subwoofer?? How would I connect them?
Other subwoofer options: $90 monoprice 60-watt 8 inch subwoofer
or just get the Official Edifier one for like $150?

A tiny soundbar:
Polk MagniFi Mini AX Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer: for $450 i get a wireless soundbar and wireless subwoofer. i bet this sounds the worst of the above but not having any wires to manage is a nice plus. Looks great, very small and compact.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 3, 2023

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I've had the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and Edifier R1700BT and I liked the Edifier better for sound quality. I would just buy the highest Edifier model that fits your budget, no need for a subwoofer, they have enough base.

e: Just saw you are considering that $450 sound bar. "Klipsch THE FIVES" are $550 (you might be able to find them cheaper) and are suppose to be higher end powered speakers. Something to consider.

ok word, i'll probably going with the R1700BT then. if i don't need a sub that does put the R1850DBs within my price range but it's like an inch bigger in every direction and i think i literally won't have the space to fit it in, unfortunately. my deskspace is very packed. and additionally it is an ugly all-black box instead of nice wood paneling. same with Klipsch's The Fives, i could stretch conceivable stretch up to that price i suppose but i literally haven't got the space. rip

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Audioengine A2, A2+, or I guess A1 or HD3

I like Audioengine a lot more than I like Edifier, but maybe that’s unfair of me. Idk.

I was going to say the A2+ and HD3 both look great, however I seem to be losing my mind when it comes to dimensions

the official product pages lists the dimensions as 15"x10.5"x14" but that can't possibly be right given the pictures and videos of the product???

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

powderific posted:

I dunno where you’re finding that — I’m seeing like 4x6x5.25 for the A2+

https://audioengine.com/shop/wirelessspeakers/hd3-wireless-speakers/ their website lists the dimensions as huge, but maybe that's just for the box or for both speakers combined. anyways i'm probably going to end up with the HD3s. much smaller than any of the edifiers and it fits the look i want. i lived with a crummy logitech setup for a decade, i'm sure this will be Fine audiowise

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

I finally plugged in my Audioengine HD3s. Verdict: these are definitely way better than the logitech whatevers I was using. However, I do find myself missing out on the bass a subwoofer could give me, since I listen to a lot of heavy metal. Any suggestions for a nice subwoofer to match? I guess I could try and re-use the subwoofer I had before. hmm

edit: here's an imgur album of the back of the HD3s and the logitech bass I have. There's not any way I can hook up the HD3 or my PC to output to the sub, I assume? IIRC the Logitech was set up with PC plugs that went into that... VGA-looking connector, and then the others are actually outs.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 6, 2024

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

trying to stay under $200 so i guess my only resort is used subs. what do you guys think will be the least waste of my money? "good enough for heavy metal, for a year or two until my budget comes back around" is where i'm aiming for

Klipsch SW-450 for $140
JBL Sub ES150P for $150
Bose Companion 3 Series 2 for $20

ok this is pretty out of my price range but i just saw this guy selling an SVS SB 2000 for $450. im going to email him and offer $300 and see what happens. jesus christ

edit: "I won't do anything less than $400 as I've already been offered that." well, fair enough. i took some measurements and this is way too much sub for under my little computer desk though. rip

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Pulled the trigger on a refurbished/used Audioengine S8, sold by ebay seller "audioengine-factory-outlet," for ~$180 shipped. It probably performs similarly to the JBL ES150P being sold on facebook, but the smaller size matters to me and it should be an easy hookup with speakers.

I'm sure as long as it actually works, anything will sound miles better than my old hunk of junk. drat.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 9, 2024