Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Balanced cables can help mitigate some ground loop problems. Common practice is that the shield covers the entire cable, but is only attached at the source end of the cable.

It may or may not help, that's why a lot of pro gear also has ground lift switches. It's a bit of a trial and error thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm using a JDS Atom + a Topping D30, and I can highly recommend this combo, especially if you don't want to bother making a case for a Tone Board.

It's not just an endgame setup for the budget minded, it's an endgame setup, period. You're not going to find much gear with meaningfully better specs, no matter the price.

Literally the only minor "issue" is that the knob feel of the Atom could be better, but you can fit a nice heavy aluminum knob from eBay and fix that right up.

The D10 is really nice too, I'd you only need USB.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 25, 2019

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not related to subs at all, but I just got the Dell AX510 soundbar that fits on my U2713HM monitor (and a bunch of other Dell monitors/all-in-one PCs). The monitor has a 12V output and 3.5mm jack specifically for that purpose. I mostly just needed some speakers for Youtube videos and such for when I don't want to put on headphones, and they should be as compact as possible.

For $25 I wasn't expecting anything crazy, but I was genuinely impressed. There's a nice heft to it and it seems well built, it clips solidly to the monitor and the knob feel is outstanding. I'm not a fan of the bright power LED right in the middle, but a thin strip of tape took care of that.

Sound quality-wise the quoted frequency response is 135-20.000Hz and the "woofers" are 1,25" drivers, so there's not much bass to be had. It's still leagues ahead of any laptop speakers or PC monitor built-in speakers I've heard, there's great voice clarity and they go surprisingly loud without breaking up, certainly more than loud enough when I'm sitting at the desk. Even with the volume at 100% there doesn't seem to be any noticeable noise.

For $25 I am very pleased. If you're in the US, Amazon have a few in stock for ~$12 right now.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 22, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jamming together two signals with a Y-cable is something that is very much advised against, it can create all kinds of noise issues and worst-case damage equipment.

What you're looking for is... A mixer :v:

So yes, I would recommend upgrading to larger mixer with more stereo inputs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was gonna say that it can't pan the channels, so it'll be in mono, but it has a mono/stereo switch right there :doh:

Yeah, just use channels 1 and 2 and make sure that button is in stereo mode.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Uh no, just plug monitor 2 into line 1 (left) and line 2 (right), and make sure the mono/stereo switch is set to stereo. Then you adjust the volume for monitor 2 on line 1 and line 2.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 31, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'd probably just recommend a good set of powered speakers. Whatever fits your budget from Kali Audio, the JBL 305/6/8P mkII or even the Vanatoo Transparent One if you can afford it. Those can all dig pretty low for their size(like 50-60hz).

Seconding this.

And get a Focusrite Scarlett Solo or 2i2 as a sound card. They're USB, but are literally used by professionals to record and master music, so the quality is solid in every way.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Serviceable, according to ASR.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fletcher posted:

Those both look like great options that fit the criteria. Do the iLoud Micros have a slight edge in terms of sound quality?

They're really good and have unbelievably good bass that feels like it shouldn't be possible in speakers of that size. The catch is that they will only play so loud before the blinking red light tells you to turn it down. They're using a bunch of DSP tricks after all, and there's only so much amp power available.

As PC speakers they go loud enough, but I wouldn't use them as living room speakers.

I have mine mounted on some desk mic stands (the speakers have standard mic mount threaded holes) to get them to ear height, I would highly recommend that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

I thought you had some Adam speakers. Did you replace them?

Yeah, that was a while back. My girlfriend moved in and we decided to have a proper setup for movies. Before I just watched everything on my PC, but that doesn't work for two people who want to sit on a comfy couch.

I couldn't integrate the active speakers with a receiver in a good way without spending way too much money, so I sold them and used the money to buy a set of Monitor Audio Bronze 2s, a TV and a second hand receiver. Later I replaced the Dali subs with an SVS SB1000, that thing is a beast for how compact it is.

I could have used the Adams as PC speakers still, but they were just too big.