Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This thread sold me on A2's.

Now I just need to figure out a good soundcard solution to drive these.

I'd like to run these on the desktop and then also a second connection to a receiver/2.1 setup for a tv. Am I better off letting HDMI carry the audio channel from the GPU to the receiver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ShamrockShake posted:

Alright, I might be a crazy person or an idiot, but Im having trouble figuring out what you are going for and whether or not its feasible.

The are powered speakers, you dont need anything to "drive" them as they will handle their own amplification, your motherboards's sound chip will do fine with just a line-level output.

As to your second question, are you sure that plugging powered speakers into a high wattage receiver is a smart idea? If you do, perhaps use unamplified pre-outs (if you have them) to connect the receiver to the A2's.

And yes, if you have a good receiver, I'd think that letting its DAC's do the heavy lifting would be best, so go ahead and use the HDMI output from PC to receiver.

I think I confused you..

first off, maybe I shouldn't have used "drive" in the context of the active a2's..

Basically, the HTPC is the source for everything. It's running to a desktop monitor and the a2's, and then from there it'd also be running to an HDTV as a second monitor and receiver/3.0 setup with that TV..All in one room..So i'm wondering,

a) i'd like to get something that is a little better then the onboard dac on the PC, so is there a soundcard that I should be looking at?

b) is this feasible? i realize that the system will see 5 speakers total, but i have no idea if it's possible to assign them to displays i.e. anything playing on display two uses only speakers ABC as LF RF and C...I'm ok with only using one source at a time if that's a compromise needed...

edit: It seems like the best I can do for this setup is make the a2s the system default as output #1, then configure just XBMC/MCE to use only output #2 (the tv's 3.1)...so that just leaves the question of which sound card will be the best for this and what's the best way of connecting (analog vs digital output)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 10, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jigoku San posted:

You could use the receiver for output switching, run everything off the HTPC's HDMI connection and switch between the A2s and the 3.0.

Interesting. I think because of the setup though it might make more sense to control outputs via software. If the htpc were closer to the receiver I'd do it the way you're suggesting since I'd only be running cable one way back to the a2s, or using the AG wireless thingy and going that route...

However, the a2s are close to the HTPC, and the 3.0 system is close to the receiver, with an HDMI run to the receiver being really easy..(also, the TV using the 3.0 system will only ever run 2 programs, both of which will allow me to assign which output they use by default, so I'd never have to actively switch anything)

I think what I need is something like the Xonar where the card is the DAC that outputs to the a2, then HDMI out from the GPU carry the digital audio to the receiver where that would be the DAC for the 3.0 system. It seems like not needing 7.1 or other features means the price range for what I need is around 50 or under, so it's not a big deal to upgrade even if I'm not really doing anything mission critical..I figure if I've already spent enough on decent speakers why not do a simple cheap upgrade..

So the question is still which sound card would be the smartest move? I'm looking for a clean output to the a2s since their active and I don't need to amp amped speakers..A headphone amp and front/rear retasking are super optional for me since I don't own any decent headphones and don't consider them a must buy anytime soon.

There's about a million options in the xfi/xonar stuff that is in that range..what should I be looking for?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Tacier posted:

I'm also using a glass table and I have my A2s on top of a stack of books. You'll want to raise them off the surface for sure, but $29 is too much goddamn money for the stands imo.

use 2 dollar black rubber doorstops. same exact thing. or a stack of business cards to lift the front edge upward. or don't, it'll just be a little boomier reflecting off the table surface, no biggie.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 21, 2013