Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit n/m

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

codo27 posted:

I'm moving out and getting a proper office, so my receiver will be going out in the living room with everything else. I still really want surround though. I'm looking at a used surround system, proper amp and 5.1 speakers, but it only has RCA and optical. Will I really notice that much difference coming from HDMI going to optical connection? Should I just go pick up one of those Logitech systems? Or will that be even worse again?
HDMI and optical are both digital connections so no, there won't be a difference.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Harik posted:

I'd like to move to optical-out, since I pick up a lot of electronic noise from my cheap on-board DAC. Looking for 5.1, with a way to plug in my headphones (1/4 jack preferred) that mutes the speakers - front panel audio is poo poo.

What's not awful in that space? I'm looking at around $100 - I've got a good 5.1 system in my livingroom for movies. I don't want to push a whole lot of watts, as again, loud movies in the livingroom, so this is just for me to FPS/watch movies the family wouldn't enjoy.
5.1 with optical input and 1/4" headphone jack? Doesn't exist unless you've got a dedicated receiver. Even with a 1/8" jack, it absolutely doesn't exist around $100.

I think some older Logitechs entry level 5.1 took coax, but the current Z506 only takes analog.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 27, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Harik posted:

Digital coax would work as well, the only reason I was thinking optical is so I can completely isolate the audio from the electronic noise. (No ground-hum, etc)
I'm not sure optical would prevent ground noise since it would be converted from an analog electrical signal that contains noise.

quote:

BTW, did logitech reuse the Z-5500 name? It's now a $1500 surround system, and two pages ago someone was talking about it like low-end computer speakers.
Logitech does not and has never made a $1500 anything. The Z-5500 was their premium 5.1 system a long time ago, so what you're seeing is someone listing it for that much on Amazon hoping some schmuck will pay up, but it never sold for more than $400.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 27, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dark Knight posted:

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but it seemed about as close as I could get.

I'm planning on putting my desktop in my living room at my new apartment, with a monitor for working on a desk and a TV for entertainment next to the desk. The TV will just be running HDMI content from my pc.

I have a Logitech 5.1 speaker set that I've been using just at my desk, and I'd like to use it to provide sound for both displays with the new setup. Is there any way (natively through Windows or with software or whatever) to essentially provide 2.1 sound for both screens, using a left and right speaker around each monitor? So if I'm watching a movie on the TV the sound will from the 2 speakers flanking that screen (along with subwoofer or whatever), and samesies with 2 speakers and the other screen.

Anyone done anything like this before?
The simplest thing is to manually swap the monitor and TV speakers' connection to your subwoofer depending on use. For a slightly more convenient setup, you could run an extensions from the subwoofer for left/right, the plug of which you could attach to a convenient location on your desk, then plug into the extensions the set of speakers that being used.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It would be a good choice, as long as it works.
Is there any reason to not go with a 5.1 receiver if it's cheap?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why is receiver + bookshelf speakers generally recommended over a 2.1 system in the $100-150 range?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

unpurposed posted:

I have M-Audio AV-40s and while I love them, I want to upgrade to something nicer. What's a good step up from these?

I listen to a variety of music, nothing in particular, but one thing I do want is a slightly larger soundstage and better lows.
If you want better lows, you'll probably want a 2.1 system, in which case the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 is still among the best.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Something on my Klipsch iFi 2.1 system is broken, but I'm pretty sure the RSX-3 speakers still work.

So, do I buy a receiver + powered subwoofer or do I just buy a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system for $110?

FYI, I have Sennheiser HD 650 headphones so I don't need the speakers to be amazing, just good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The subwoofer on my Klipsch iFi 2.1 died a while back, and I bought a ProMedia subwoofer to replace it since I knew it would pair correctly with the satellites.

The ProMedia sub seems to be able to handle all my audio needs, whether that's music or movies. My question is, should I bother trying to repair the iFi sub? I tried fixing it originally but the fault was more complicated than just a blown cap or resistor. It is undeniably a higher quality sub, 8" compared to 6.5", but the ProMedia isn't exactly a slouch either.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have HD 650's and comparing these songs in FLAC, I couldn't tell a different between my iPhone and the headphone output on my home theater receiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu9MDqGhIak&t=229s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4dxvguQDk

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That doesn’t mean much, unless you’ve got a particularly expensive and unique home theater receiver. HT receivers are generally way under-built per channel vs something like a stereo hi-fi receiver or amp and they usually don’t include fancy components or discrete amplification pathways in their headphone outputs.

In fact, depending on when your receiver was built, it may have a very similar off-the-shelf chip to the amplifier in your iphone behind the headphone jack. 99% of surround receivers live in entertainment cabinets under HDTVs so the headphone output’s an afterthought for most buyers/manufacturers.
I've also tested them on my friend's Xonar DX which has an unassailable powered headphone output and didn't find a difference.

Yes, there's a difference electrically. But an audible difference? I don't think it's really there, like 320kbps MP3 vs FLAC.

My position is that if your source is more than loud enough at 50% volume, you won't really see a benefit from additional amplification.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 19, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

Picked up the 305s at 125/ea. So far the sound great, but I'm going to have to see if I can salvage the sub from the z2300. Pinouts of the control port are readily available online but I've never hosed around with circuitry before so wish me luck.
That’s always my concern with 2.0 monitors or mini bookshelf speakers, that the bass will be weak.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Hello thread. I just picked up a new set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers, as my previous 14 year old set of the same model was falling apart.

The new speakers have an issue my previous set did not. Every now and then, I can hear some low static that lasts for a few seconds. They happen maybe a few times a day and it seems like they happen a little more often while gaming.

I see you guys were discussing preamps earlier. This new set comes with a built in preamp. I'm guessing that might be picking up some errant signals?
How do you know they have a preamp? I’m not seeing anything about that on the spec sheet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What’s my best option for speakers under $100? Normally I would gravitate toward a 2.1 setup since the subwoofer makes a huge difference for movies and electronic music, but since getting a 65” TV for the living room, most of my media consumption happens there now. I suppose I could go up to $150 if that opens up something significantly better.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

qirex posted:

You’re not going to do much better than your TV buying new for under $150 IMO. At the bare minimum maybe a pair of Micca MB42s and a cheap tripath amp around $100?
Are the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 still decent? The Klipsch website sells them for $120.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

got yoga blocks under my 305s
Aren’t yoga blocks a bit too firm compared to traditional foam isolation pads? I’m very interested in the idea since I need to raise my speakers by a few inches and a cheap DIY isolation block could pull double duty.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 24, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Djarum posted:

I have used the yoga block method for years and have had some fancy isolation stands. The difference is undetectable.

The fact that I have been to professional studios using yoga blocks as isolation solutions should confirm the fact.
My HT fronts are 16” deep and 8” wide while most yoga blocks are 9”x6”. Would it be enough just putting one block under each speaker or do I need “full coverage” from 2 blocks per speaker?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I forgot that my speakers actually came with isolation pads:

How should I install them? The round isolation feet that SVS sells screw into the very edges of their subwoofers which would indicate either 1/3/5. They'll be going on a media console.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 27, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I agree that 8” woofers are a bit of a waste but SVS, REL, RSL, and Hsu make 10” woofers that are more than enough for an apartment living room.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

powderific posted:

I had the promedia 5.1 set 17 years ago when they were like the cats meow and I feel like every 2.0 system I’ve had since is better if you’re not just looking for output. I have the original A2, and have been eyeing the micro monitors.
Yeah I've had the ProMedia 2.1 and they're fine as babby's first system and the subwoofer is nice, but for audio quality they're basically the bare minimum.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

functional posted:

This thread seemed like the best to post in of all the speaker/pc/tv related threads...

I have a bargain tv whose speakers are so bad we can't always hear voices when the mix is bad. (maybe this isn't a speaker problem and modern tv shows are still low quality)

My experience is limited to computer speakers of yore, and i always found pretty much whatever external speaker set to be far more than I needed.

I am looking for a couple speaker recommendations to go better than my tv's built-in

One would be comedy option cheapest possible external speakers ($20 - $30?) that are going to be superior to what's built in to the tv

Another would be a budget option (more expensive up to sweet spot in the curve) that's going to sound good and is nice and worth keeping for when we get a better tv.

I am not an audiophile though i know how to adjust bass and treble levels. I don't know what plugs speakers use these days i'm assuming the red and white ones like in old times.

Extra points for no LEDs, no weird controls or on/off issues. I don't want to touch or think about these things ever. I'm hoping speakers aren't bluetooth but I don't know how bad things have gotten
My understanding is that you can get a passable soundbar for $100 but $200 is a noticeable improvement, and Vizio is actually a good option here.

Have you tried the HDTV thread? I think they've had good soundbar discussions in the past: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A friend of mine got the iLoud Micros while I was visiting last month and from what I could tell of testing with my usual suite of songs, they’re solid for a smaller pair of desktop speakers (though not small). I think the standard use case wouldn’t pair them with a sub.