Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Jinnigan posted:

Edifier stuff

I've had the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and Edifier R1700BT and I liked the Edifier better for sound quality. I would just buy the highest Edifier model that fits your budget, no need for a subwoofer, they have enough base.

e: Just saw you are considering that $450 sound bar. "Klipsch THE FIVES" are $550 (you might be able to find them cheaper) and are suppose to be higher end powered speakers. Something to consider.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Always turn things off before plugging them in

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

ExecuDork posted:

Am I wrong to think that it's the bigger, higher-power amp & speakers that's making the speech more clear, or is it more to do with the design constraints of a tiny phone speaker vs. something intended to fill a living room with pop music?

Its more about the quality of the speaker. The size of the speaker doesn't matter (much). Most speakers will only draw 1 watt maybe 6 watts at peak at normal listening volumes.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Totally agree, I didn't mean that cell phone and hi-fi speaker size doesn't matter. What I meant by that is, once you get to the size of a typical hi-fi system, once you have a shoe-box size speaker box, going bigger doesn't matter.

Once you have a speaker with a dedicated tweeter and a mid/woofer >4", the quality of those components become more important than going from a bookshelf to a tower sized speaker, for example, when listening to voices on a podcast.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Jinnigan posted:

trying to stay under $200 so i guess my only resort is used subs. what do you guys think will be the least waste of my money? "good enough for heavy metal, for a year or two until my budget comes back around" is where i'm aiming for

Klipsch SW-450 for $140
JBL Sub ES150P for $150
Bose Companion 3 Series 2 for $20

ok this is pretty out of my price range but i just saw this guy selling an SVS SB 2000 for $450. im going to email him and offer $300 and see what happens. jesus christ

That Bose is a complete POS, not even worth $20.

The other two look more or less equal and fine for PC speaker subwoofer.