Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dislike button posted:

I feel like I'm listening to music for the first time. Had to stick that giant rear end receiver under the desk

Those amps get hot, make sure there's some space above it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

Is this still a problem if one of the woofers is a passive radiator? It seems like it would matter less, given that they're out of phase.

Its more noticeable with higher frequencies, afaik.

If you can't hear the difference I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Is it a horrible idea to pair a trends ta 10.1 amp and two tannoy mx1 speakers with an SVS SB12-Plus using the high level inputs / high pass filter on the SVS?

In my mind it should work great, but if anyone have tried the high level inputs on the SVS I'd really like to hear some experiences...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Check out Craigslist for used receivers and bookshelf speakers?

Also remember that you generally get what you pay for, so if you can afford it, it might be worth putting some more money into something that'll last you more than a few years.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You might be better off connecting two pucks in paralell to each channel, if you want more power.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sub talk: I got a used SVS SB12-Plus after the mono amp I had for my DIY subs started to get cranky. Replacing the amp would have cost nearly as much as the SVS, so it was really a no-brainer.

The only regret I have is not getting the vented version :v:

Possibly unpopular opinion: Why not spend the money (if you have it) on the real deal right off the bat and then don't worry about having to replace it for the next 5-10 years?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Do they have one of those with an internal DAC and no fan? :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What he said.

Headphones can sound great, but there are no headphones in existence that can replace the thump a good subwoofer makes.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The sub is too big? :psyduck:

Just turn it down :cripes:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Not necessarily. I mentioned the Harman Soundsticks above, and JBL makes much smaller, more desktop friendly speakers. JBL monitors are extremely large and often don’t work for many use cases.

The 305's are hardly extremely large, though. Lets not give people the wrong impression here :v:

JBL 305P MkII size: 298 x 185 x 231 mm

They have 5" woofers, I would seriously considering picking up a subwoofer, but you don't HAVE to buy one right away.

(I might be biased, I'm running even larger bookshelf speakers on my desk - and still have an SVS SB12 to help the with the bottom end)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Taima posted:

Oh weird I'm probably showing my naivete here, and I do use and believe in speaker isolation pads, but we've never isolated our subwoofers. Does that depend on if you have certain kinds of flooring? I don't notice any issues in the same way that I do notice, like, a rattling speaker on a desk.

Way less acoustical coupling to the structure of your listening room and building in general. Generally results in happier neighbors and somewhat better sound quality.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Buy cheap, buy twice. Why skimp on something you're likely going to use a lot? Good quality gear lasts forever.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You can hardly go wrong with them, but it sounds like you haven't listened to them yet by that question :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Some cheap, used tannoys/dalis/whatever bookshelf speakers from your local online marketplace + some cheapo t-amp or similar would do the job nicely.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! I was looking at these https://www.reviewgeek.com/11115/edifier-r1280t-review-a-simple-excellent-desktop-speaker-upgrade/ - do I really need an amp? That'd add a lot onto the total cost.

Those are neat, and you don't need an amp for them either!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Good speakers last basically forever, so budget accordingly. At least that's how I view it. I bought a pretty expensive pair of tannoy dual concentric bookshelf speakers in 2006 and I don't really see myself replacing them ever. On my third amp, though :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I used a pair of cheap Akai 3-way speakers and a 2x25W JVC receiver from the late 1970s for a long time :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd go for something like this instead... https://audioengine.com/shop/subwoofers/s8-powered-subwoofer/