Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShamrockShake
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MMD3 posted:

can anyone who owns the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's tell me why sometimes I'll go to turn the volume down on the speaker and turning it all the way to what should be off will still have sound at medium volume? it's like the speaker volume knob isn't calibrated correctly or something. really frustrating since I typically reach for the knob to turn the sound down quickly when I'm in a game or something and it's not very reliable. wondering if there's some setting I need to configure in sound panel.

I dont own them, but I've spent the last hour reading up on them in advance of buying the set. What I've found is an awful lot of complaints about build quality. I'd imagine Klipsch has farmed out the partial manufactuer or assembly to a 3rd party and they are cutting every corner possible. When I see ebay repair services for very specific issues with the Promedia 2.1's, such as this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/REPAIR-ONLY-...=item19cb14b66f

I usually presume that to be the kiss of death for a product, like a dell inspiron laptop whose power connector breaks off inside the laptop, every time. So my non-owner very inexpert opinion is that your control pod is in the early stages of breaking, but there is hope for you when it breaks all the way. I'm sorrry to tell you this, I was really hoping to buy these, my current PC speakers are a $10 pair of absolute poo poo Altec Lansing VS-2120's so I have nothing to gloat about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShamrockShake
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A2's seem like the best choice if you arent a bass freak that can't do without a giant sub. I looked at the M5's as well, but cant stand the look of the offset tweeters and the blue/grey moulding around the speakers. Also, since I'm not in the USA, I have no way to get the 3 year warranty, and I wouldnt buy powered speakers without that additional 2 years you lose by buying at retail, rather than direct from AE.

I think for my purposes where space and cost arent a huge issue I'm best off with an AV receiver and a pair of passive towers. Farewell PC speaker thread.

ShamrockShake
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

zer0spunk posted:

This thread sold me on A2's.

Now I just need to figure out a good soundcard solution to drive these.

I'd like to run these on the desktop and then also a second connection to a receiver/2.1 setup for a tv. Am I better off letting HDMI carry the audio channel from the GPU to the receiver?

Alright, I might be a crazy person or an idiot, but Im having trouble figuring out what you are going for and whether or not its feasible.

The are powered speakers, you dont need anything to "drive" them as they will handle their own amplification, your motherboards's sound chip will do fine with just a line-level output.

As to your second question, are you sure that plugging powered speakers into a high wattage receiver is a smart idea? If you do, perhaps use unamplified pre-outs (if you have them) to connect the receiver to the A2's.

And yes, if you have a good receiver, I'd think that letting its DAC's do the heavy lifting would be best, so go ahead and use the HDMI output from PC to receiver.

ShamrockShake
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm a BIT of an audio snob, but I'm not tragic.

Hammer Floyd posted:

So I went and bought these instead:

http://worldwide.bose.com/axa/en_au/web/companion_5/page.html

And I'm a very happy man.

Tell us how much you paid. I want my e-penis to engorge further.

I bought a pair of these:

http://www.geniusnet.com/wSite/ct?xItem=16696&ctNode=148

From goddamn Genius-KYE corporation, you remember Genius? The company you bought your first 10/100 ethernet card from for college that had all sorts of driver issues? Well they are back, really never having gone away, but they now have added speakers to their repetoire. The insides are likely full of lead solder, lacquered toilet rolls acting as bass ports and use recycled chinese newspapers for baffling, but at just $50 for 50 watts of power, I am enjoying their rugged good looks, grilleless living-on-the-edge design and features like a fully integreated off/volume knob.

But dont take my word for it, feel free to lookup the SP-HF1800A on youtube and get reviews from several dozen Romanian dudes blasting lovely Romanian club music to make the lowest of the three way speakers reach its full centimeter of bass excursion.

Here is a non-broken aspect ratio picture of them with a keyboard shown for scale at the Taiwan Excellence Fair 2010. Presumably they won every award in their category.

For real though, these are decent bargin speakers, so long as they dont catch on fire and kill me in my sleep.

ShamrockShake fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 13, 2012

ShamrockShake
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
But if you are buying a budget sub $200 receiver and running the output from your PC through it, to your monitor be very weary and readup on HDMI handshaking and passthrough on standbuy issues.

Look here specifically regarding the Denon 1312 reccomended above me.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334369#L12

Those issues with receivers and PC's can be resolved usually with spending another $90 on an HDMI Detective at amazon. But they can still be a nightmare as they reveal the inconsistent and corrupt soul of the HDMI standard. Its what scared me away from an AVR in the first place.

I'd reccomend instead buying a new montior with some speakers built in for what, $89 US these days, and connecting the speakerless monitor as a wonderful second desktop monitor. But, this solution will sound like complete poo poo, using those $2/2 Watt LCD speakers, but you were going to get bad audio anyway if your first plan worked out.

If you really dont want to disturb your fiancee, get a monitor that has a headphone jack for audio-out and get better audio with zero disruption.

ShamrockShake fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 21, 2012