Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
My Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 have served me well for 20+ years but I think they are ready to be retired. Sounds like something is wrong with the sub and all the connections are pretty shoddy from wear and tear. Size is an important factor and I want to stay around the same size as the current ones (8.5 x 4.2 x 5.7"). I'd be connecting them to an ADI-2 DAC. Mainly to be used for listening to music when I'm tired of wearing headphones all day. Not too sure on the budget yet, ideally something that laststhe next 20 years. Bonus points if it doesn't have a volume knob or any inputs on it, since they won't be needed anyways. Also if it doesn't have any big holes in it that will collect cat hair. Most of the active monitors I'm seeing are a bit too big for my desk. The Genelec 8010A & 7040A seems like a high end option that meets all the criteria, not exactly easy to pull the trigger on at that price point though. What are some others to look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Those both look like great options that fit the criteria. Do the iLoud Micros have a slight edge in terms of sound quality? The hole at the bottom being slightly larger seems easier to clean cat hair out of compared to the Audioengine A2+. The S8 sub seems to be the right one to pair with the A2+. What sub for the iLoud Micros RCA connectors though?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Ended up getting the iLoud Micros to replace my aging 20+ year old Klipsch Promedia 2.1s. They sound good, but a little underwhelming - I'd say a noticeable but pretty slight improvement over the Klipsch.

The thing that might be the deciding factor for returning them is their little feet - they are quite wobbly and with cats roaming my desk on occasion I think they are just going to be too unstable and get knocked off easily.

I am interesting in trying something that may be a more noticeable difference in fidelity but also more stable. I want to try the Genelec 8010's but a return to B&H is not as painless as Amazon. Maybe the Neumann KH80 ? Both are probably more than I'd be willing to part with though. Maybe some middle ground in a different option?