Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I just hooked up a pair of Audioengine A2s I bought on the strength of the recommendations in this post. At first I was incredibly disappointed with the sound. It was muddy and boomy and just sounded awful compared to my old Klipsch promedias. I was seriously ready to pack them up and send them back, but after fiddling with the EQ for a while and putting them on books to get them off my desk they're actually beginning to sound pretty good. I'm still not sure if I prefer them to the Klipsch, but assuming they continue to improve while breaking in I'll most likely be keeping them.

Moral of the story: EQ your A2s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Yeah, getting them off the desk made a much bigger difference than I thought it would. They also seem to sound better the louder I play them, which is a bit counter-intuitive for such a small speaker.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Mang Tomas posted:

About to buy a set of A2 audioengine speakers. Just wondering if the stands (Audioengine DS1 Desktop Stand Pair) matter at all for sound quality? I'm placing it on a glass table with my monitor if that helps.

I'm also using a glass table and I have my A2s on top of a stack of books. You'll want to raise them off the surface for sure, but $29 is too much goddamn money for the stands imo.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

use 2 dollar black rubber doorstops. same exact thing. or a stack of business cards to lift the front edge upward. or don't, it'll just be a little boomier reflecting off the table surface, no biggie.

Hadn't thought of this. Thanks.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

I assume this has sort of turned into the PC speaker mega thread so I thought I could probably ask here:

I have some Klipsch Promedia 4.1s that I got in literally 1999 that still work great but now the sound is only coming out of the right speaker. I'm pretty sure it's just one of the cables, but I don't really know which one. Is there an easy way to just replace all the cables for it? They have sort of weird cabling in that I think the cables that go to the computer from the control pod are hardwired in so I'm not really sure how to replace them. As far as like generic cables from the sub to the speakers, I could probably replace those without too much trouble but I'm worried those aren't what's wrong with it.

Those old Klipsch systems were great but the amp in the subwoofer had a design flaw that caused it to invariably fail after several years of use. There's a good chance your cables are not the problem.