Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

powderific posted:

I really like the audioengine a2's for small computer speakers. Despite the teensy little woofers they have satisfying bass. They're also much nicer looking/feeling than MAudio's low end monitors.

The a2's were actually my replacement for a klipsch 5.1 promedia set that died. The promedias obviously destroyed the a2's in sheer desk shaking bass power, but the a2's overall sound is much nicer, especially for music.

edit: TenementFunster, AudioEngine's wireless dongle things work with any speaker, not just AudioEngine stuff. I love AudioEngine, but if you like something else better, just pick up the wireless set and use it with that instead.

I was just thinking about getting these. I'm tired of listening to music on my laptop's crappy built-in speakers, and my current desk has limited space on it, so the small form factor is attractive as well. I just want nice sound quality and don't need BIG BASS, so this sounds perfect. Are they worth dropping $200 on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

powderific posted:

I feel like they're well worth the $200 and I have quite a few different speakers. Besides the sound, which I think is quite fantastic, they feel like $200. They're heavy, the finish is beautiful, etc. I haven't personally seen/heard anything in the price range that has the same combo of sound quality + aesthetic pleasingness.

Only thing I'd suggest is that you might try to get them off the surface of the desk a bit. They can sound a little boomy from being on a big flat surface. This is true of any speaker, but you don't notice it with sub/sat systems where the low end is all coming from a sub on the floor. I just put mine on a couple little stacks of books. If your desk has a hutch that'd probably work to.

Also: search for coupons before you buy, they ALWAYS have 10% off somewhere.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice; I decided to pull the trigger on the A2s (and I had a gift card at Amazon I had to burn anyway). They sound great - lots of power behind these guys and it's amazing how much more detail I can hear versus my crappy laptop speaker.