Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

reading about all these issues with the Klipsch ProMedias kinda sucks. I have the ProMedia GMX 2.1s and the only problem is that they hiss even when the volume knob is clicked to off.

I like the vanilla ProMedias because they look a little less alien but they seem to be poorly built. These are definitely the best sound PC speakers Ive had, compared to my previous sets of generic chinese trapezium shaped speakers, logitech A530s, Z5500s and Z1s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am considering upgrading my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 GMX setup to some of the Audioengines, probably the A5+. I have a mid 2011 iMac and I am wondering if I should bother getting the 24-bit DAC as well?

Alternatively I was going to just upgrade the 2 satellites with P4s and keep the sub, but the 5+ are appealing as I can probably get away without the sub these days (or even just run a wire to my HT sub)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sweet, will grab the A5s :) Thanks!

now deciding on colour :negative:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

powderific posted:

Oh, also, they have a close out section with refurbished stuff that's in really good shape, though there isn't always everything in stock. There's also almost always 15% off coupons floating around.

Im in Australia so I go through the distributor here. pricing is identical so Im not fussed.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Carbonized bamboo, you donkus. Save white for when you inevitably buy a set of A2s to use as a bedroom/office/kitchen/whatever stereo.

Black is for chumps.

I dont like natural finishes and the premium price puts it out of my range. White more than likely. (they are going in my bedroom to start with anyway)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kcncuda71 posted:

I just wanted to mention that running the audioengine 2's with onboard sound created issues with low frequencies. So I bought their D1 DAC and that fixed all the issues. I also really like their DAC it's about 3" long, 2.5" wide, and 1" tall. Basically its really small and creates a really nice sound out of the speakers. Plus it doesn't require external power(just a class A usb cable) and has a headphone jack and composite audio inputs.

They are supposed to be releasing the A2+ (A2s with DAC built in) but its been months since it was leaked. Im surprised its taken so long.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They also sound pretty terrible.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Purchased some Audioengine A5+'s with the foam angled riser things. they sound good own their own but even better when I decided to add my Jamo 10" sub to the mix. Holy loving poo poo, gobs of bass.

The remote and sleep modes are nice additions too. highly recommend these speakers.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I was honestly surprised at how little bass the A5s produced. thankfully I had a spare sub laying around to hook up to fill that in.

Compared to my friends behringer monitors, at least, there is a lot less bass.

Maybe I have them too close to the wall though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They are angled at 45 degrees inwards from the corners of my desk on the official stands. The closest point of each speaker to the wall is about half an inch.

I don't know how much bass they are supposed to really have? My buddy has behringer monitors and they aren't very fantastic by monitor standards but have incredibly rich sound even at low volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Every time I have seen a Sonos system installed somewhere, the client never uses it because it seemingly never works.

Apple airport express do the same thing and work much better, then again I've never found a working Sonos install to test it against.