Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

For powered speakers, Kali Audio IN-5 Studio Monitors are supposed to be really good, but I haven't heard them personally.

For passive speakers, the Kef Q150s are pretty amazing for their price(300 USD on sale) especially for nearfield usage.

Either of those can basically be your endgame for desktop nearfield usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

single-mode fiber posted:

I've recently been doing some research into candidates to replace my existing computer speakers, a 2.1 setup from some no-name brand that was probably $50-100 10+ years ago. I'd be willing to spend a few hundred for something that would give really good performance (I'm sure most everything in that price range would be at least somewhat better). I live in an apartment, and this is only ever going to be computer speakers, so I don't think I need something with incredible volume output, I just want it to have a lot of clarity (?) across as much of the music range as possible.

The big constraining factor here is that the primary use case for this setup is for rhythm games. It's acceptable for a small amount (a couple tens of milliseconds) of latency to be introduced, but only if it's completely consistent, i.e. must not introduce any jitter at all. Similarly, it can't have like a modal dispersion where one set of frequencies gets output faster or slower than another. It should probably also be assumed, as kind of a lowest common denominator of definite compatibility, that the source is just the line out straight off the motherboard.

That last part is one of the main things I wonder about. Most people who are very Serious about audio quality naturally point to the onboard DAC as being inadequate for their tastes. I don't want to spend $600 if the way that I would use the system means that a $300 setup is going to be the limit where you can actually differentiate quality.

I haven't really heard anyone worry about jitter for a while, so I assume the rhythm game people are just absolutely insane(even more than regular audiophiles). What I'm saying is that it's probably not a real concern in any recent DAC, but I'm open to new info.

If you want full range, you are going to need a sub. That sub costs more. I'd probably just recommend a good set of powered speakers. Whatever fits your budget from Kali Audio, the JBL 305/6/8P mkII or even the Vanatoo Transparent One if you can afford it. Those can all dig pretty low for their size(like 50-60hz).
I've heard that the JBLs have a slight hissing noise when idle but that depends on how sensitive your ears are, the noise floor of your room and how close you are to the speakers themselves. The Kali and Vanatoos are silent.

The onboard DAC in your PC is good enough. The built in DACs for those powered speakers are even better. If you still want an external dac, you don't need to spend more than 100-200 USD to get one.

e: or get a pair of headphones.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 11, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jinnigan posted:

trying to stay under $200 so i guess my only resort is used subs. what do you guys think will be the least waste of my money? "good enough for heavy metal, for a year or two until my budget comes back around" is where i'm aiming for

For a few more options: The Polk Audio PSW10 is good, but it's 250USD. Monoprice has decent stuff too at all sorts of pricepoints.

e: Wait for a sale on the Polks

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 8, 2024

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Geek Icon posted:

What would you all recommend?

Give the Vanatoo Transparent Zero+ a look(if they are available on your local amazon). Both of the Vanatoo powered speakers are very good.