Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well like a lot of people, I've gone from using my stereo for audio, to generally listening\watching things on my PC.

So I figured I'd spend money on some good speakers for my PC so listening to music\watching stuff is now awesome and not muffly shite.

Today I went and checked out a set of Audioengine A5+s and I was pretty underwhelmed. I'm a BIT of an audio snob, but I'm not tragic. I wanted something that sounded as good as my stereo, but these things...well...didn't. This was with the subwoofer. It was muffled, indistinct and boomy. Sure, they were a fair bit better than my dodgy Logitechs, but pretty drat average overall. Especially considering the A5+s and the Subwoofer was going to set me back 700 bucks.

So I'm thinking I might need something better than PC speakers to make me happy. What's the easiest way of connecting a PC to regular stereo speakers? I dont really want to go the monitor route as these are a bit more general-purpose rather than for music only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Factory Factory posted:

Anything stopping you from just running the speaker output(s) to your stereo's receiver? You can get a stereo mini to RCA jack cable, use TOSLINK or S/PDIF, or use HDMI passthrough, and most computers are already equipped for at least two of those.

At the moment? Yes. The only place for my stereo is behind me. That's not going to work for games.

I'm looking for nice bookshelf speakers (albiet not too big) to sit on my desk.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I went and bought these instead:

http://worldwide.bose.com/axa/en_au/web/companion_5/page.html

And I'm a very happy man.

They're a tad trebley, but nothing tragic. The simulated surround sound is genuinely impressive. Sure, it's NOT actual surround sound, but it's respectable if you only have 2 speakers.

The subwoofer is loving awesome.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

ShamrockShake posted:

Tell us how much you paid. I want my e-penis to engorge further.

I got them on sale for $400. That's the same price as A5+s. Actually, if you want a subwoofer for the A5+s, then you're looking at a total of $700.

Whenever I mention these speakers, everybody scoffs and tells me that they'd be good, yet overpriced. I got these for less than the "best" PC speakers on the market and I find them to be a shitload better. Not that the A5s weren't good speakers, they were just not worth anything approaching $700 bucks.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey! Looking for a suggestion:

I'm looking for a desktop-sized receiver (Or hell, maybe a DAC?) that I can hook my PC and Nintendo Switch up to, that also has a headphone jack and supports a 2.1 system. My Google-Fu is failing as I can only find big-rear end receivers which work great in a lounge room, but are far too big for a desk. It doesn't need to be powerful because I'm gonna be sitting in front of the speakers while I use my PC for Music\Games\Movies (and obviously same for the Switch), so I don't need something that fires out globs of DB, but I'm a bit of a snob so something which is kind to the audio would be nice too.

Any suggestions? Or am I trying to find a beer which doesn't give you a hangover?