Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Update: I picked up some Klipsch promedia 2.1's thanks for all the recommendations.

So my ~6 year old Altec Lansing MX5021 2.1 speakers have finally given up the ghost I think. They've been cutting out intermittently for a while now and I have a feeling it's just some lose solder or something on the input jack since I used to be able to wiggle it and they'd come back on but now I can't get anything out of them.

I do most of my music listening in the living room with my home theater and I have some decent headphones so I'm not looking for anything extreme but I would appreciate having something decent for the times I'm watching videos at my PC or playing an FPS or what not.

I'm hoping someone can recommend me some decent 2.1 speakers or even just 2 channel if it's something like studio monitors that have decent bass response. Price range is $50-150. I'm also not opposed to just scouring craigslist if someone can recommend me some quality PC speaker brands I should keep an eye out for. I've owned Altec's for a while now and have been fairly happy with them but I think my loyalty is more to what the brand name used to be back when they made pro audio stuff so I'm open to whatever sounds best.

The one thing I liked about these is that they have a separate desktop volume knob and headphone and aux jack. I love having a headphone jack right next to my keyboard but not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance.

These are the Altec's I have, if anyone is in the Portland area and an electrician I'd be happy to give you a good deal on them ;)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Bunk Rogers posted:

M-Audio Studiophile AV40 Powered Monitor Speakers

These are awesome.

hmmm, come to think of it I probably don't want monitors because monitors would have a flat response. for games and video watching I'd want something with a little more bass emphasis. maybe I should just stick to PC speakers for now.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

_aaron posted:

Creative T20

I've got these (had them a couple months now), and I've been pretty happy with them. Bass is good for a 2.0 system, and they get pretty loud before distorting. There's no "remote" head-phone jack, but there is one on the right speaker, which is nice. And the price occasionally drops down to like $70.

awesome, I was definitely checking those out, and also the T40's... hopefully I can find a place to go listen to them in a store. so long as there's a headphone jack on the desktop I don't really care if it's on the speakers or on a satellite thing so much.

Goldmund posted:

PC speakers suck. I'd grab something like this Pyle amp and these Pioneer speakers

I've already got the home theater downstairs with some high end speakers and amp... really not looking to have a giant amp and giant bookshelf speakers sitting on my computer desk. Thanks though.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

qirex posted:

Nobody really makes 3-way monitors; which if you're at all concerned about size you shouldn't be looking at anyway, nobody bothers on any speaker with under 8" woofers.

yeah, I gave up on monitors as soon as I realized I don't want a flat response for watching videos and playing PC games. I'm thinking I just need a 2.0 or 2.1 system with moderate bass now, nothing terribly fancy just don't want to maximize the quality if I'm going to spend ~$100 on them.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
well I listened to the Klipsch's in a Best Buy and they sounded pretty great, unfortunately no Best Buy's in town actually have them in stock. Then I checked Amazon since I have Prime but it doesn't look like they have them in stock either... are these things being discontinued or something?

I'll keep looking for some online.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
just won a set of the Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media's on ebay for $80... will see how these sound. Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll look into monitors if/when I ever start doing music production.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

qirex posted:

I've been supremely unimpressed with the ProMedias, there's a gap between the satellites range and the sub and it's really boomy I think because of the small driver and maybe port noise. Plus they're noisy, I think they spend more money on the THX sticker than the amplifier.

something that would have been useful to know like 3 days ago :colbert:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

qirex posted:

Hey man plenty of people like them but I got converted to normal speakers + receiver in college and I've never looked back. If I was going to get powered stuff I'd save up and get something like the Audioengine A5+ or Kanto iPair but that's me.

There's lots of folks who like ProMedias as evidenced by this thread and I freely admit I'm way more picky than most.

yeah, I'm not too worried, they should be an upgrade at any rate... and yeah, I've got receiver + aperion audio bookshelf speakers + velodyne sub downstairs so I'm set for high fidelity when I'm in the living room, I don't usually watch movies at my computer, more for playing games and watching youtube or whatever.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
can anyone who owns the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's tell me why sometimes I'll go to turn the volume down on the speaker and turning it all the way to what should be off will still have sound at medium volume? it's like the speaker volume knob isn't calibrated correctly or something. really frustrating since I typically reach for the knob to turn the sound down quickly when I'm in a game or something and it's not very reliable. wondering if there's some setting I need to configure in sound panel.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Do any of you guys with passive speakers run tripath amps? I'm looking at this Dayton DTA-100a to power some speakers in my bedroom and just thought I should get some opinions.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Hob_Gadling posted:

As long as you have sensitive speakers and don't expect high volumes you're fine. What speakers do you have? Do you know their tech specs?

Although the main advantage of tripath amps is that they're cheap. Either consider getting a Lepai or take a look at Sherwood 4105/4109 amps. Is there a particular reason for this Dayton model?

Since you have an amp already passives (should) offer you way more bang for the buck. Good pair of used speakers should work nicely.

This is probably the wrong thread for this but since I started it I don't feel too bad about a mini-hijack.

no particular model, and it'd likely be a variety of speakers. the house I moved into has speakers wired up in almost every room of the house, living room, dining room, and kitchen have 2 speakers each all coming out of a panel in the living room where my entertainment center is. Upstairs has speakers in the master bedroom and the bathroom. The speakers I own which are in the living room in a 2.1 configuration are Aperion Intimus 5B's but they're powered by my Pioneer VSX-1020-K. The configuration of the speakers in the living room makes them worthless for using in any kind of surround sound setup but I was going to see if I could set the LR/DR/Kitchen speakers up as a 2nd zone for general music listening when we have people over... just not sure if it's possible to do 6 channel audio on the 2nd zone guessing not.

So my plan was to use the tripath in the upstairs for listening to music in the bedroom. The speakers are some old philips magnavox bookshelves and they're probably crappy but I don't need anything very loud, just thought it'd be nice to listen to spotify and books on tape and such in the bedroom on occasion.

I didn't have any particular reason for picking the dayton other than dayton stuff comes pretty well recommended and is really reasonably priced. Also the DTA-100A looks a lot better than the DTA-10. I thought maybe at some point if I ever move up to floorstanding speakers in my home theater I could use it to power my Aperion 5B's.

let me know if I'm heading down the right path or sound like an idiot.

this is what the philips' in the bedroom look like.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Factory Factory posted:

Well, you could get a small t-amp if you don't need too many Watts per channel. I don't have any recommendations because I went the self-powered monitor route, but that's what was recommended to me when I was considering bookshelf speakers.

I picked up a T-Amp from Part's Express recently that I'm pretty happy with. I got the DTA-100a and have been really happy with it but the DTA-1 is supposed to be pretty solid too and is like half the price.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Hob_Gadling posted:

T-amp route is the el cheapo route where you have ~$100 or less total, have a pair of old cheap speakers lying around and/or are strapped for space. Separate volume knob and headphone plug are handy.

The problem with DTA-100a is that you have to compare it to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX-4105-Stereo-Receiver-Black/dp/B0002EPWC0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332466973&sr=1-1

it'd be difficult convincing the girlfriend that a full-sized receiver deserved a place on our nightstand.

I ordered the T-Amp as much for it's compact footprint and portability as I did for anything. So far it's doing a great job at the job I picked it up for. I can't see someone wanting a full-sized receiver on their computer desk either but maybe that's just me.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
FWIW I've been really happy with my ProMedia 2.1's since buying them after starting this thread. They sound great, take up a small footprint on my desk, have volume knob on the front and a headphone jack on the side. They're the best "PC speakers" I've ever owned but who knows how long they'll last. I'm sure I could get better sound going with powered studio monitors and a receiver but I don't want something that big on my computer desk and don't have a place to put a receiver next to it.

The funny thing is I haven't really heard anyone recommending anything other than the AE A2's and the ProMedia 2.1's in this thread.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
SO I picked up some tower's to replace my bookshelf's I was using in my living room. eventually the bookshelf's will be rear satellite's but for now they're just sitting around unused.

I'm thinking about putting them on my desk for my computer but they're unpowered so I'd have to figure out some kind of amp... I suppose I could try a T-Amp but I'm thinking they may need a little more juice to be sufficiently powered.

These are the speakers if anyone has a recommendation on how to make them work efficiently w/ my PC:
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus-home-theater-speakers/intimus-5b-bookshelf-speaker

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

KingKapalone posted:

It seems like people are still getting non-surround speakers for gaming. Shouldn't surround speakers be pretty important for that?

the only type of gaming where surround sound gives you any kind of advantage is FPS, which while large, isn't the only type of PC gaming that's out there. I've never found surround speakers to be necessary personally. If I want a more immersive experience I've got my headphones for that. My PC speakers are primarily for watching videos and listening to music.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

is that $250 amp those guys sell just a T-amp in a shiny housing?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
okay, I've got some questions going in the general audio question thread AND have been reading the headphone thread but maybe I should consolidate here.

Initially I was looking to shop for a way to make my headphones sound better and I realized the way that I have my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's connected through my onboard audio is NOT ideal (same speakers that I started this thread about).

So the problems are:
  • My grado SR80's sound anemic plugged into my Klipsch speakers which are in-turn plugged into my onboard soundcard.
  • Adjusting the volume with the volume knob on my speakers is inconsistent and I can't actually turn them all the way down to mute.
  • Wearing my headphones if no sound is playing i can hear a ton of interference coming down the line, I can hear my mouse moving and everything else.

So what would be the best solution(s) if I wanted to:
  • get cleaner sound to my speakers (DAC of some sort?)
  • get more power to my headphones & speakers (Amp of some sort or powered speakers?)
  • have a desktop volume control/pot of some sort.
  • be able to switch between speakers and headphones easily without having to reach behind my computer.

I have a pair of Aperion 5B bookshelf speakers that are sitting unused, they might look a little too big sitting on a desk but if they would save me some money in the short term I could try to make them work.

So if the Audio Engine A2+'s have a built in DAC then I wouldn't need a breakout DAC or new soundcard for speakers, but there's no volume control on the speakers so I'd just need to retrain myself to change the volume w/ my keyboard... not a problem, just prefer having a volume knob.

But then I'd still need a Headphone DAC/amp because the A2+'s don't have a way to plug headphones in, so I could pick up an Audio Engine DAC which has a builtin headphone amp, or I could look at another brand's DAC... then I'd have a volume control for my headphones but not for my speakers.

Does that sound correct? I was also looking at the Kanto Yumi's but they're more comparable to the A5's and I dunno that I want to pay $400 on just speakers unless I'm getting some kind of all-in-one solve that also powers my headphones.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Should also ask if a simpler solution might be finding a soundcard w/ a built-in dac, or sticking with my Klipsch ProMedia's for the time being and just plugging them into a breakout DAC.

I have an X-Fi Xtreme Music soundcard that is in my PC but not currently being used too... I feel like I got just as much interference when I was using it as I do w/ my onboard audio.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Flipperwaldt posted:

AudInst HUD-mx1 seems like a pleasing DAC to combine with the regular A2s to me. Offers the right amount of control in a not too obtrusive package.

Works for three and a half out of four of these:

EDIT and works for this:

EDIT2 might need some rca to female 3.5mm adapter for that.

EDIT3 might be out of your price range, I remember this costing less at one point.

can't seem to find a price for it, looks to be discontinued maybe?

What would it have over say a Fiio E10 or an AudioEngine D1 DAC?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Flipperwaldt posted:

For the price, just click through to 'store' on the link I gave you. I'm seeing $179 there. I thought it was going to be something like $149 or something.

Differences are going to be fairly superficial. I like that you can choose whether to use a thick or thin headphone plug in there without an adapter. I think the simple switch between headphone and speakers on the front is pretty elegant and something I'd like to see adopted wider.

Other than that Fiio stuff is generally going to sound good and be a significant upgrade over onboard audio and at that price it's pretty hard to beat.

Whether you want to throw another $80-$90 on top of that for ergonomics, looks and maybe, possibly an extremely marginal upgrade in sound quality, is up to you and your amounts of disposable income.

The D1 seems to be in the same ballpark as the AudInst, I'd guess.

Ahh, I missed the switch, that would definitely be handy!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's nice but it's only got 10 WPC, which seems low for me. The N22 is twice as expensive and doesn't have a built-in DAC, but it's got 22 WPC RMS/40W Dynamic, which makes me more comfortable.

Although if he really wanted bang for his buck, he'd jump on Craigslist and look for a nice vintage stereo receiver in the 20-60 WPC range for $30-$100. But that's moving away from convenience and jumping straight into the morass of audio nerd territory. :v:

well see... I've also got this turntable over here that I need to power w/ something since I'll probably be splitting it up from my regular home theater receiver. I'll be casually looking for a pretty 70's receiver anyway most likely, but that's probably a discussion for another thread, I need to know which brands and criteria to keep an eye out for ;)

Also though if I find a receiver for my turntable then I won't have my bookshelves to use with it so THEN I HAVE TO GO FIND VINTAGE SPEAKERS FOR MY RECORDS.

slippery slope indeed.

So the N22 + a USB DAC seems like the way to go, if I were to pick up a DAC like the Modi first would I be able to use it to pass a cleaner signal to my current Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's to hold me over until I can get an N22 and put my overly large bookshelves on my desk?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
forgive me if this is a dumb question too but why do a decent amount of headphone amps come with remote controls:
http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Essence_III

if you're wearing headphones isn't it implied that you're sitting within arms reach of the thing the headphones are plugged into?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yes, but you'll probably need this. This works because the Modi has its output at line level and that's exactly the sort of thing powered speakers like the Klipsch Promedia (or other powered speakers, or amplifiers) expect. Despite the difference in connector.

mind explaining to me what the alternative to line level output would be? I take it you mean like I wouldn't want to plug the klipsch's into an amp as they have their own built-in amp in the subwoofer?

If I plugged my klipsch's into a DAC like the Modi and then plugged my Grado's into my Klipsch's I can't expect to get a better/richer sound from my Grado's, just less/no interference correct?

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can also connect powered speakers to them or an amplifier, in which case you wouldn't need to be within arm's reach all the time. For headphone amps that don't also provide a line level signal, a remote control would generally be pretty useless. Although some headphones might have pretty long cords, so who knows.

okay, I suppose that makes more sense... I didn't realize people plugged powered speakers into headphone amps but I guess if they have DAC's built in they get the benefit of that.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Alternative to line-level? What, you mean amplified? Your Klipsch PC speakers have an amp in them that powers them. Line-level is the standard signal strength that input devices (CD players/game consoles, turntable preamps, etc.) output at to an amplifier/receiver. The alternative is plugging into something like a headphone jack which outputs a signal that's already amplified. That can cause noise and excess gain and other issues which impact sound quality (and can damage expensive or particularly sensitive equipment) which is one of the reasons why a lot of us prefer to use a DAC as our output device for digital stuff.

If you plugged your Grados into your Klipschs, you'd probably see no benefit- or you might get worse sound and more interference. Unless your speakers have a dedicated, good headphone amp, then it's just like plugging stuff into the headphone out on your laptop. Often worse if the components are cheap or the connections are lovely.

As for the last part- I think he means powered speakers or an amplifier (unless the amp has line-level outs). Plugging powered speakers into an amp serves literally no purpose at best and at worst can lead to the double-amping issues I mentioned above which can gently caress up your sound quality and even fry your equipment.

It's all starting to make more sense, thanks for your patience ;) I literally have no idea how I've gone so long w/out knowing/caring about headphone amps or preamps. I've probably owned these SR80's for like 4 years, before that some ATH-M40's and I've also got a pair of HD25-1 ii's that I mostly keep at the office... I've never amped any of them :(

I have been plugging my grado's into my klipsch's ever since I got the klipsch's and have always thought the sound was poor, probably why my Grado's have been severely underused the past couple of years, the reason I did this was primarily because it was easier plugging my headphones in on my desk than it was trying to reach behind my computer to plug them in. and hey, the klipsch's have a headphone jack on them so why wouldn't you do that.

Flipperwaldt posted:

You linked an ASUS device that you refer to as a headphone amp. Except it's a DAC/preamp, exactly like the Modi with on top of that a headphone amp built in. This is the title of the page you linked: Essence III - Preamplifier, USB DAC and headphone amplifier.

People aren't (generally) plugging powered speakers into headphone amps, they're plugging them into the the appropriate line level outputs a DAC/preamp/headphone amp combo provides.

With a combo device like that, a remote control makes some sense. If we were talking purely headphone amps, it wouldn't. If we were talking strictly DAC/headphone amp combos, it wouldn't.

DAC - converts a digital audio signal into an analog one
preamp - brings a signal to line level
headphone amp - brings a line level signal to something suitable for headphones
amplifier - brings a line level signal to something suitable for unpowered speakers
powered speakers - unpowered speakers with a built in amplifier

There are preamps in lots of things, but generally if their presence is mentioned, it implies that there will be user accessible line level outs.

Hope that clears up some things and/or is not too patronising either -it's getting pretty late here.

Gotcha, all super helpful, not patronizing at all. I had figured out most of those already but just never understood the interplay between DAC's/headphone amps/pre-amps until now. I always sort of assumed headphone amps were primarily intended for audiophile spergs and my soundcard was good enough.

So now I'm wondering... if I want to use my klipsch's for another 6 months or so until I'm prepared to purchase something like the n22 and move my large-ish bookshelf speakers onto my desk. I'd probably be better served picking up a headphone amp like the AE D1 that has a level knob rather than a straight DAC like the Modi. That or I get the Magni + Modi and then sell/repurpose the Magni when I pick up an N22.

Does that make sense?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so A2+ paired with D1, the D1 line level knob will control the A2's if the A2's are run through it right? or does that not make any sense at that point? better to go for A2's + D1?

still deciding if I want to try to use my bookshelves as PC speakers or if I just put them in another room and go for powered speakers + dac/headphone amp

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
well this is certainly interesting... the locally designed (if you're in the Portland area) direct-sale speaker company. Aperion Audio seems to be entering the powered bookshelf market. It looks like this could be a compelling competitor to the AudioEngine 5's.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/aperion-audios-allaire-bluetooth-speakers-nail-every-feature-sound-spectacular/

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

powderific posted:

Really like the combination of inputs there. Bluetooth isn't amazing for quality but it's really convenient. For certain things, like watching a youtube or listening to a podcast, the quality is more than good enough.

Yeah, I have a bose soundlink bluetooth speaker that I use as a portable around the house radio for spotify & audible books on tape... bluetooth w/ apple airplay is just super convenient, to have it built into bookshelf speakers is just a big added bonus.

Bluetooth is also great for f'ing around with music apps on iPad from across the room. It looks like these speakers support a pretty good bluetooth codec as well, don't know that I have any devices that use the codec though.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 23, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm not sure if this thread or the headphone thread is the best place to post this but I'll try here first...

I picked up the Audioengine D1 last week and have been really enjoying it once I finally figured out it wasn't going to work with the USB extension cable I had and just plugged it in using the provided 2' long USB cable.

In the hopes of getting the DAC/volume knob over to the other side of my desk I went ahead and purchased a 6' USB cable on Amazon (probably only need a 4' but the 6' was cheapest).

Apparently this thing is really finicky about the length of cable or something because using that cable I get a "USB device not recognized" error.

Is using a longer USB cable just completely out of the question or am I just missing something? It's kind of frustrating to think that I could be limited to only using a 2' cable.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've had things not work properly with usb extension cables when the total power draw (pulled through a passive hub at the end of the extension) was bordering on too high. Shouldn't happen with only one device per port, but then not all usb ports are 100% up to spec, especially if we're talking about a laptop(?).

It's a desktop, not sure exactly how bus power works but I am using every USB port on the back of my mobo at the moment so if it has something to do with load balancing maybe that's a contributor.

I'll try to pick up a powered hub and give that a try, that would even allow me to just use the provided cable, should I look for a usb3 hub?

Thanks for the suggestions!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

powderific posted:

Actually, before buying anything it'd probably be worth sending an email to AudioEngine support. They've been very good in the past when I've had to have stuff in for service and they might have a better answer.

smart.

I emailed audioengine support and will let you guys know what they have to say.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

smart.

I emailed audioengine support and will let you guys know what they have to say.

audioengine support posted:

Thanks for emailing and for supporting Audioengine. Different computers act differently to bus powered devices. With that said, check your power settings in the control panel and make sure that they are set for high performance. Many times this can up the power USB ports provide. You can also go into the bios on some machines and it will give you the option to enable high performance USB power (while off or on). Ultimately, with bus powered devices, the shorter the USB cable the better the connection. A USB hub would also be a viable option. I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Well,

I'm tempted to go pick up those aperion allaire's from their shop so I can audition them. I just wish I could find a review or two comparing them to the audioengine A5+ before I decide. Doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon though.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
You want to be able to sync them all? Would it mainly be for listening to music? I'm thinking you want something along the lines of a series Sonos 1 speakers if you want to keep things simple and not have to mess with/pay for installation.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Anyone have any experience with Dayton Audio's DTA-120 T-Amp?

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-digital-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

My old receiver stopped being able to player stereo, and I need something cheap that can power bookshelf speakers and has a headphone jack.

Not sure if you already pulled the trigger on something but I may have one of these for sale that has been sitting unused. It did a good job for what I needed it for but after I moved into a place with speakers in less rooms I haven't been making good use of it.

Need to confirm I don't have a use for it when I get home but I think in probably good to let it go

Edit: mine is a DTA-100a, but I only bought it 1.5 years ago so it's one of the later ones.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 29, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

vaginal cramps posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade from my Logitech Z-2300 to a quality 5.1 setup for games and music.

My price range is up to $500

I have looked at some Klipsch sets but I'm not sure if any of their lower end setups are a good value.

Let me be the first to say...

$300 for desktop stereo speakers + $200 for headphones

I don't know anyone that games in 5.1 anymore. If you want immersion put some good headphones on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

vaginal cramps posted:

I have some Beyerdynamic DT990s so I'm good on headphones. And I have a decent soundcard in the Xonar STX.

I would like to take advantage of better positional sound in games, and generally have a more robust speaker setup. I often have guests over hanging out and playing games on my other computers so headphones aren't usually an option.

So if you're playing say an FPS with friends and you have 5.1, and they're sitting in the same room but you guys are looking different directions in the game... how does that work for positioning? I would think it'd be best to have a spare set of headphones or two for when friends come over... or tell them to bring their own? Unless you're not playing FPS at all...