Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

me your dad posted:

My new Lepai Amp + Dayton Speaker combo. I'm incredibly pleased for $60.

I seriously doubt you could do much better for $60 unless you shopped around for 2nd hand speakers.

n0n0 posted:

I'm looking to spend about 50 or 60 bucks for some small desktop speakers. At the moment, I'm looking at these Creative T20s but they're a leeeetle bit more than I was hoping to spend.

I'll just be using them for casual gaming. I'm tired of wearing headphones all the time. My ears get too hot.

I'd strongly suggest going with the previous poster's Tripath amp + Dayton speakers combo. If you're using onboard sound then buying a cheap USB DAC might also be a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

powderific posted:

Unless your onboard audio is incredibly noisy or something, what sort of gain do you expect to get from plopping a USB dac on that system?

All I know is that my desktop motherboard audio sounds horrible compared to my external USB DAC+headphone amp combo. I paid $180 for mine (Audinst MX2) but I'm sure you could get a decent DAC for much less. I think they start at around $30 these days.