Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Boosting chronological order again; it'll be like reading "The Rats in the Walls" or "The Telltale Heart" all over again, the slow descent from what sounds like uneasy sanity to completely unbound madness, leaving witnesses swimming in phantasmagorical abysses of nether-horror and :nyoron:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Arthur Crackpot posted:

This is exactly the vibe I always get from threads/stories like this...20% mild amusement, 70% embarrassment and horror, 10% utter gratitude that although I like anime/games/etc, I never caught the crazy.

I used to be there and hung out with kiddos that were even worse. I got over it, and largely hate anime now. I have to put up with it in my games now and again, though. HIGH SCHOOL OTAKU-FAGGOTRY AHOY! :pirate:

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Just what exactly is it about anime that attracts the most horribly broken people ever? It's really fascinating. Someone needs to do a scientific study about this poo poo.

(this thread is amazing)

I suspect it's the simplistic melodrama and the juxtaposition posed by the perceived emotional intensity of anime vs. American animation. G.I. Joe never featured character depth or death until the movie happened (same for Transformers). I think it grabs onto teenagers with a kung-fu grip at a vulnerable time.

[e]: depth=/=death, derp.

Zotwoz posted:

A lot of anime fans have problems in real life and retreat into these fantasy worlds where everything is black-and-white, the protagonist wins no matter the odds, everyone can be broken down into a one-dimensional stereotype without any depth of personality whatsoever, etc. You can see a lot of this with Japanese otaku and the folks at TV Tropes.

They begin neglecting their real-life responsibilities, get worse, and subsequently become even more obsessed with anime; it's a positive feedback loop that ends with people like the OP's friend.

Also, this.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 22, 2011

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Adus posted:

Nah he's like in his mid 20s.

The same reason a girl might obsess over any anime guy. Sephiroth is a long, silver haired prettyboy, wears black leather, very mysterious and "misunderstood", etc. Why he's more popular than most? Probably because the game he's from is popular. So just out of the sheer volume of fans of the game there's going to be more crazies to get too into it.

You pretty well cover the "I can change the bad boy" attraction, and the popularity makes sense--but (prepare for some Freud) the major act that Sephiroth performs is using a ridiculously long sword, like 7-8 ft, to stab a female love interest of the main character. He jumps from an enormous height to INSERT his STEEL-HARD, CURVED, RAZOR-SHARP PHALLUS into her TORSO.

I don't know what the timeframe on this is, but I think she may have been victimized by this movie made by cultists. Many Universes Theory really needs some very careful explaining, not exploiting for personal fulfillment at age stupid-teen.

I wonder what would have become of her if she had run into Lovecraft's writing before anime and geeked out over that. Would she be schlicking it to shoggoth-rape or would Tsothaggua be waiting in the nether blacknesses of un-ness to eat all reality but plant his ur-dimensional fuckseed into her snowflake-cervix? :cthulhu:

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 23, 2011

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Canyons of Static posted:

Despite coming out as a lesbian, she did have an obese internet boyfriend from another country who she eventually married and now lives with. The one time I met him he literally smelled like he had poo poo his pants.

I had a buddy in MS-HS that shat his pants regularly "because of his medicine" and eventually went balls-out bonkers. I shudder to imagine the horror of a world that hosts two of him. One of him was like six too many.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

"Snowflake-cervix" is an excellent and useful word and I am going to add it to my lexicon.

You just justified my liberal arts education, then.

And yeah, noodles, keep this fun-tastic train a-comin'. Much appreciated.

For those who feel such regret for these people, just remember that you can't help someone who doesn't need it. I quit trying to solve all the world's problems one person at a time a long while back, and I'm better for it.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Sir Prancelot posted:

I keep expecting the next post to be a photo of Denise wearing the OP's skin as a bloody headdress :ohdear:

;-* :unsmigghh: "You wanna gently caress me? Heero Yuy'd gently caress me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Hedera Helix posted:

Don't jinx it, don't jinx it, don't jinx it... :ohdear:

I keep trying to think of an anime that might be awesome enough to make her become a better person; I then realize that such a thing does not exist.

Gurren Lagann was amazing because of the Nietzchean "YOU CAN loving DO IT! YOU CAN DO ANYTHING BECAUSE HUMANS ARE THE MOTHERFUCKING PRESIDENTS OF BADASSERY!" element; it's very transcendentalist (minus the naturalism). Unfortunately, it was made for sane people or people who are pumped to be here or tired of being down. Denise is such a loathsome, colossal human train-cluster-fuckwreck, it wouldn't do her any good.

To the two of you ladies, stand tall and shake the heavens. There's no revenge like success!

• Locked thread