Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Oh Hell No posted:

Schizotypal personality disorder would be nearly spot-on.

It seems like there should be a name for the specific "I'm possessed by <character /> and we're all really important in this other world where all these fictional things really exist" delusion that Denise and so many other mentioned people seem to exhibit.

Like "schizotypal personality disorder, soulbonding type" or some such - the specifics of the disorder seem just too congruent among so many cases to not have (or at least deserve) a common term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

:suicide:

And the people involved in this are all full-on law students? Like, they plan to become lawyers, not even just paralegals? In the UK?!

In the US, law students have a rep for being a bit douchebaggy if not outright sociopathic. This kind of batshittery is pretty far from the norm if for no other reason than the typical law school workload. (First-year law students aren't even allowed to work while enrolled by most good schools, from what I gather. Not a law student myself, just have friends who went trough that meat-grinder.)

Also, from a US perspective, "faculty" usually refers to the professors and lecturers, not the students. So every so often your stories seem even more WTF as one imagines tweedy tenured professors getting involved with an improv musical involving terrible legal argument...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Of DesertRain's saga:

Barry Foster posted:

Well that's all basically child abuse.

Not really. Lots of religions teach about a pre-existence, and lots of parents teach their kids their religion. While this one sounds New Age, it could easily have been Mormon or Hindu.

The hitting and attempted strangling? That's abuse, holy poo poo, strangling your own kid?!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

I did kind of wonder why the girl couldn't wear more sensible clothes for something like shopping for furniture, seeing as how the boyfriend couldn't move the stuff by himself and her shoes rendered her helpless...

How dare you judge her?! She's just being herself, a beautiful and unique snowflake! Everybody should accept that, at all times, even when it's entirely inappropriate! Hugbox!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Champignon posted:

If there’s any interest, I have more Brian stories:

Please folks, don't ask this every time, just assume there is and keep them coming!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

DeepFriedKitten posted:

Speaking of ages, how old is Denise now?

Whatever the number, "way too old for this poo poo" is the first thing that comes to mind.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Konstantin posted:

Any sufficiently motivated student should be able to learn the basics, either on their own or taking courses at a community college. You shouldn't be admitted to an engineering program if you don't know high school algebra, art programs should be the same way.

No engineering program I've ever heard of requires students to have Differntial Equations under their belt before applying though.

I attended one of the best Computer Science programs in the US, and maybe half of my classmates had never programmed before. We also obviously didn't have anything like a portfolio requirement.

That said, the CS program certainly was a magnet for odd ducks... One guy bought a mall-katana and promptly named it and gave it an Important History. Yeah, a mall sword is historical, uh huh...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Star Trek generally extols positive lessons and ideas.

There's also the underlying theme of pursing science in Star Trek and some other sci-fi. It's almost like a built-in escape hatch: It practically shouts "Want this to be real? Make it so!" (If you'll pardon the expression.)

quote:

Apologies if this isn't accurate, but what I've seen of a lot of anime suggests a distinctly less healthy view of the world.

Some anime & manga is just a medium for telling stories like any other. Some (too much) is just pandering to an unhealthy world view. Some both panders to and makes fun of that unhealthy world view. And some straight up lays bare the problems with it all. (Aku no Hana, "The Flowers of Evil," if you're interested and can handle the rotoscoping.)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I am The Fury posted:

I may have just originally gone with it because I was so loving lonely and she was the gateway to all the friends I have now. Now, of those friends, she is only really closer with one, maybe two of them than I am, so it isn't like severing with her will end all social possibilities like the situation used to be.

You should ask these friends what they think about her "multiple personalities." I bet hilarity will ensue—you can be sure at least a couple of them, especially if she's anywhere near the sex addict she claims, have had the opportunity to "meet" her headmates.

I am The Fury posted:

As for all the Shingle discussion, Martha has had Shingles for over a year and a half and counting now, so she's gotten pretty good at coping with the day-to-day pain. She's prescribed several different painkillers for it and it's what she was given her MMJ card for. Speaking of medications, she has tried every antidepressant, anti-psychotic, and anti-crazybitch medication she apparently can, and they all turned out badly for her. Painkillers and weed have less negative effects, but she still prefers sobriety to being on either of those in most cases.

Are these things you have some evidence of, or are you relying on her word? Because you should be aware by now her word is poo poo.

eschaton fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 31, 2013

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

uglynoodles posted:

The Anime Tumblr trio in my class were talking about headmates the other day in a hushed voice. I hope they grow out of it but given my experience with HEADM8S ANIMU BOYFRANDOs I'm guessing not.

Why not preemptively offer to introduce them to Denise online, before they're too far gone? "This could be you!"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

You know what you have to do. This thread will become your liveblog of her descent into madness. Or try to find her the appropriate help.

One of these is more fun, but the other makes you a good person.

Tell her about this great thread you found on an online forum so you can both laugh at people with astral anime harems together.

Make sure she understands she can't skip ahead without missing comedy gold so by the time she gets to her own entry all she can do is cringe and thank you.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It helps that a large number of cute animals are actually horrifying in reality. Ignorance is bliss in that case.

See: Ducks, dolphins, cats, etc.

Despite having cleaned their litter boxes and dealt with peeing on the bed and puking everywhere, my fluffy little serial killers are still quite cute. :colbert:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Captain Candyblood posted:

When I was between 10 and 13, I would have been a prime candidate for this thread.

I think I pointed this out before, but when it happens at that age it's actually a sort of developmental stage. (There's even an anime about it because evidently it's A Thing in Japan and even has a name: chūnibyō.) It's when it outlives (or develops) beyond age 13 or so that it's a more serious disorder.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Is shaking when you're also telling the stories also a symptom? Because I've joked I got PTSD from all this before, but I've never given it any actual thought.

You should talk to your psychologist or therapist about it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Or on the ~*=*~ astral plane ~*=*~ ?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

The value of making her quake in her boots aside, it certainly couldn't hurt to see if you could secure a permanent injunction from posting anything at all about you anywhere on the internet.

There's also the possibility of trying to bring criminal charges, especially in conjunction with others she's libeled/slandered/defamed. Not to hurt her, but to ensure she finally gets the help she needs, even if it's involuntary.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Unless you realistically think you can enjoin her from bad behavior as a result of losing a suit. Which you might be able to for yourself and anyone else party to it, but it wouldn't result in, say, her being committed.

Though losing the suit (or settling) and then violating an injunction imposed by the loss (or settlement) could result in a contempt charge, for which a judge could order just about anything…

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'd talk to the police involved if it's possible to press criminal charges. Civic is all well and good, but really doesn't actually stop anyone from doing poo poo like this.

Yeah, there was a literal binder full of 911 call logs. Maybe they just need a little nudge in order to prosecute.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

OWLS! posted:

This post isn't getting nearly enough love.

It's too spork monkey cheese to be believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Vorgen posted:

Yes. All of the crazy stories in this thread developed because of a deficiency of enough mockery in these people's lives. If they had only been more connected to other people around them, those other people could call them out on the crazy poo poo they were trying to pull/say/believe and prevented it.

Or perhaps at least helped prevent other people from getting caught up in it too.

A few weeks into my freshman year, my RA came to me to ask just what I knew about some of the people my roommate was hanging out with. She was worried because a couple were known to be all about Crowley, "Magick," etc. and she worried about people being sucked into that.

Being able to vouch for my roommate's sanity versus his impressionability really put her mind at ease, and also really cemented my respect for her. (Of course, it also helped that at our school, RAs were "resources," not "cops," and the school treated adult students like adults.)

• Locked thread