Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

uglynoodles posted:

x. Denise retcons Heero Yuy into Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7. Astral babies ensue.

I vote for this one, right off the bat. Gotta hear this crazy. I'm glad you made this thread, maybe later I'll share my own stories about a kid in middle school who insisted he was secretly a Saiyan/Pokemon and martial arts master.

edit: Reading the list again, holy poo poo I think we're the same age. You had your pretty pretty demon princess Heero friend at the same time I had my crazy Saiyan/Pokeman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

sarsbar posted:

Oh my God, you went to school with Chris-Chan?

I don't think so, no. I'd have to see some picture of Chris-Chan, but last time I saw the guy I was talking about he was fifteen and still only about 4'8" tall and thin as a rail. Even back then I had limbs twice his size.

I still blame the little bastard for my inability to throw a proper punch.

uglynoodles posted:

I'm 23 as of a few days ago. :3:

My math was off, because I'm retarded. I just turned 24 in September, and 2001 was ten years ago. :downs: Still, it's the same general time frame!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

tbp posted:

Because making fun of mentally ill people is weird an creepy? What does my "rap sheet" have to do with it?

No, it can be funny as hell. Especially when there's even odds on the people in question just being attention whores.

One of my friends is schizophrenic. She has very similar symptoms as the girl in the OP and several other people noted. However, she also suffers for her illness. She is, and has always, been well aware that something is wrong.

On the other hand, I've known a number of people (men and women both) who have prattled on about being an Anime or Dragon or Fairy or whatever because it made them a special snowflake. Was it often a sign of coping with a lovely situation? Sure. Was it any less stupid? No. Is it any less hilarious to make fun of them? gently caress no.

In short, if it ain't funny to mock crazy anime-wives it ain't funny to mock furries and doll-fuckers. And if that poo poo ain't funny, SA's been on the wrong road too long to turn back now.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

tbp posted:

That can all be funny if written in a funny and interesting way, otherwise it's just sad and boring. Why is everyone cool with making fun of a mentally ill girl who can't respond, but if your posts are made fun of you report it or flip out?

Because we'd be cool with it even if she could respond? Haven't accounts been purchased for people that were mocked in other threads, just so the people can be mocked to their "face"?

I mean, by all means guy, go ahead and white knight the crazy chick who isn't here. Stick with the thread and do it to the end, if that's what you want. But if you don't think it's funny, if you don't think it's cool, then there's an infinite number of things you can go do on the internet that isn't read this thread.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

tbp posted:

Would it be okay of we started mocking the op in a different thread? Cuz she sounds like kind of a loser too

Edit: gently caress it guess I'm wrong and all the grey people avs are right, I'll just leave

As far as I care? Go for it. poo poo, we'll make you your own thread too. We'll call it "The First Annual White Knight Mock Megathread" and we'll have cake, and blackjack, and hookers, and booze! It'll be fantastic.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

VidaGrey posted:

I think I may be one of them :ohdear:

Yep. It was you. All you. You terrible, terrible person.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Brick Shipment posted:

Why are people mocking the OP's writing style? No one goes off and gets a creative writing degree just to write a post on the goddamn internet.

It's okay, me and my buddy Grey, we scared off the bad people. Now we just need the OP to come back and entertain us further with stories about crazy people.

Edit: Holy poo poo, I just got it. He was calling the people bitching about him trolls! The grey people in the avatars are trolls, right?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Clockroach posted:

I'm the same age as the OP, and this is what led my high-school boyfriend to start believing that Digimon were real. It didn't help that his mom was very strongly Wiccan, and liked to reinforce everything that would rationalize something like this being possible. It wasn't a romantic thing (well, I hope not) It was still a "I am their hero" bit.

Oh man, this just reminded me of a guy I used to know. Thankfully only over the internet, but drat if he wasn't crazy. He had, in his head, Kari from Digimon. And very pointedly, the little girl version from the first season not her (slightly) older self from the second.

And they were functionally married. And would "sleep" together, on a regular basis. He'd go on and on about how she was his guardian angel and she was a little girl to reflect his own childlike innocence (dude was older than me) and so forth and so on. His family made him get a five hour a week job and he did nothing but bitch about how hard it was and how the only reason he didn't off himself was his little make-believe Digimon girlfriend.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Vicas posted:

I don't think it's so much that they never talk about it as it is that they don't bring it up to absolutely everyone, since they have more than a singular obsession that rules both their lives and their potential conversation topics. Unlike crazy people.

Yeah, this is basically it. Decently balanced people can generally read how interested someone would be in a subject and find something they can both relate on rather than forcing a singular topic down the other person's throat.

Even when I've found other anime fans, at work or elsewhere, I rarely bring the topic up unless I really think there's something of value there for both of us.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Viola the Mad posted:

Why do these crazy fans always hate bathing? I can understand people eating junk food and not exercising because they like the taste and it's harder to put the effort into staying in shape. But why would they hate feeling clean? It's not that difficult to get up and go take a shower. On the few occasions where I've had to go without bathing for two or three days, I feel terrible and disgusting and won't feel until I take a shower. Why would anyone put up with feeling dirty all the time? Ugh!

My skin actually dries out really fast, if I get anywhere close to 24 hours without a shower my skin gets flaky and will start to crack and hurt. I can never totally grasp how someone could go days and days on end without showering. Even with my problems, I've had depression issues kick my rear end for a day and I just can't bring myself to shower, or I wake up to some emergency that takes my attention all day and don't end up making the time, but days and weeks in a row?

It really does have to be a mixture of depression and "well, The Animu Guys loves me so why bother?!"

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Since we got permission, I guess I'll tell my story.

The Super Saiyan Pokemon!

Back in middle school I had a friend, we'll call him N, who was just a little...Special. He was short for both his age and the area, probably only around 4' in sixth grade. I wasn't exactly tall (I was a year younger than everyone, and hadn't started growing yet) but I was still a big kid, probably at least a foot taller than him. Still, we got on well and he just kind of came as a package deal with a bunch of other people. After a while, he learned I liked Dragon Ball Z and so most of our conversations were about the recent episode and how great it was.

Eventually, he saw fit to tell me that he was actually a Saiyan himself. Totally for reals. And Freiza, the big bad at the time, they said his name wrong. It had more of an Italian or Spanish accent, and he was a real guy who was hiding in Mexico running the drug cartels. His dad was training him to go beat him up and arrest him.

I remember giving him a "what the gently caress?" stare at that, but letting it go because whatever. Then, a few months later, he decided to let me in on another secret.

He was a Pokemon. Well, half-Pokemon. I forget which half came from which parent, but they were both aliens and he'd grown up on the Pokemon planet and so could see if other people were Pokemon who had forgotten their true faces or some such. I was always a pretty imaginative kid, but I wasn't so stupid as not to detect crazy when I saw it.

Still, I humored him. He decided I was secretly a Pokemon too, and after a week's deliberation decided I was a Nidoking. Which pissed me off at the time because I totally didn't want to be purple and that wasn't my favorite goddamnit! But I let it go pretty quickly, mostly because of the one redeeming trait the kid had.

Being a Saiyan/Pokemon, he was obviously born to fight. His dad was even a martial arts legend (you wouldn't know the style though guys, serious) and trained him every day! As I have always absolutely loved fighting myself, I was never shy about sparring with him.

Yep, I put up with crazy bullshit so I could punch a short kid. One of the first times we "fought", I sent him flying (keep in mind, he was tiny) and got chewed out by him and another friend of ours. Cue training montage where I had to learn to punch REALLY REALLY FAST like they do in the animes, pulling every last one of them so as not to hurt anyone. I learned my lesson drat well too, to the point where I still find it really hard to let loose and throw a solid, heavy punch at anything.

Anyway, we'd fight all the time. Before class, whenever. Kids'd gather around and watch, marveling at how fast we moved. Which I always liked, honestly, because I was/am a big dude and thought it was cool to be praised for something people never expect from someone my size. Eventually we just sort of drifted apart, he seemed to get more withdrawn and spent a lot of time with crappy anime drawing.

My last real memory with the kid was eighth grade, I'd finally shot up to close to six foot and he was still only around four-eight or so. He'd dyed his hair blond and spiked it, telling people he had gone Super Saiyan, and I gave him poo poo about it. He seemed to let it go, until one morning when he came right up to me and punched me square in the face. Ended up with my first black eye. Man, the look on his face when he realized what he'd done was priceless.

Also, holy poo poo. Way longer than I thought it would be. Sorry, uglynoodles!

Edit: And while I typed all that poo poo, magic happened. Goddamn, the hairy man-ime is priceless.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Grashlok posted:

So, did you beat his rear end or what?

Obligatory Toast posted:

If your answer is "no" Ryuujin, the next question I have to ask is, why in the gently caress not.

The answer actually is no. I was twice his size, easy, and by that point a better fighter. I could have dropped him if I did the same right back.

Instead I just opened the eye that wasn't trying to swell shut on me, looked down at him, and said "You didn't mean to do that, did you." Flat statement.

Little bastard looked like he poo poo himself, shook his head, and braced for an asswhoopin'. So I just patted him on the head hard enough that he drat near fell on his rear end, said "Didn't think so." And walked off. Didn't really talk to him again after that, but he spent a couple weeks running like poo poo every time he saw him.

It was enough for me that he knew I could have taken him, I didn't see any reason to go through with it.

Edit: Writing all that up, and reflecting, the kid was a lot more hosed up than I remember. There was a lot more about his alien heritage, galactic empires, all that. I just eventually stopped caring, so long as I got to trade blows with someone. Like I said, I've always loved a good fight. Really need to get around to joining a boxing gym.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 28, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Yeah Man posted:

Good on you. :golfclap:

Thanks. I might have crushed him, but I was just drained. Between health problems of my own, and my grandfather dying of cancer, I just didn't have it in me to fight some little poo poo who thought he was big for a second and already realized his mistake.

Monolith. posted:

I suppose I'll add one of mine as well.

I was (past tense as we don't keep in contact anymore) friends with five other guys back in 5th through the end of 9th grade. Now my friend M had a bunch of video game consoles back when they were new; i.e. N64, PS1, etc. One day he invited me over to his house because we were bros and such and he showed me this new fighting game! We got addicted to Super Smash Bros on the N64 and it sort of branched out into recess at school since our group was really into it. A (another friend, not the letter) would be the leader of these ideas and we'd either adopt the characters from the game and have these mock battles or we'd adopt another character from a different game. It was kind of like an advanced form of tag.

I always felt kind of weird doing this as the other kids would stare at us while we did it. I'm glad I grew out of that after 5th grade. We never really got into "anime" or anything as I never even heard of that until high school. We did watch a shitload of DBZ though and my friend would often pretend to be Goku or something.

This reminds me of 6th grade. Two mutual friends of mine had a huge argument, and got their groups of friends to have full-on warfare on the grounds at recess for months. Most of us didn't care, we just had fun wrestling and messing around for our "generals". Then we found out that they were fighting over Pokemon cards. Even though that was big at the time, we still all got pissed. The look on their faces as a group of twenty kids surrounded them was hilarious.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Stottie Kyek posted:

Hehe, aye, the local foodstuff is called a "stottie cake", but pronounced "sto'ie kyek" in Geordie/Mackem/Smoggie/Durhamite etc.

I had to look up what the hell a "stottie cake" is.

It actually sounds kinda good. Better than most of the British food we Americans hear about, anyway.

Also, yes, crazy India stories would be fantastic. It's always nice to hear about people obsessed with countries other than Japan.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Stottie Kyek posted:

wild boar sausage etc.

I'm sorry, I just kind of drifted off into a drooling mess about here. That sounds positively fantastic.

My mother always spoke highly of the food she had when she visited the UK, but never really went into detail on anything. I certainly wouldn't mind paying a visit myself some day, for more than just the food.

Now if Top Gear can stay a thing long enough for me to get famous, I can kill two birds with one stone.

Edit:

Lance Streetman posted:

Oh boy! Now I have a new person I want to punch out!

Seriously, take a look at this:

:downs: "I'm an American in Japan, I shouldn't have to follow Japanese customs or rules!"

Holy poo poo, look at this.

"Japan itself is just one big contradiction. It makes no sense to me. Anime and manga portray this free reality of no boundaries but Japan is so restricted and constrained."

It's like he(?) doesn't understand the concept of escapist media. The entire most recent post seems to be about how Japan isn't at all like the animes he used to escape from his lovely life when he was a kid and he doesn't know why.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 30, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Tasty and Delicious posted:

How the hell did you guys miss:

Yeah, I went back and read through another page or two of his posts and...Goddamn, son. Goddamn. Somebody needs a serious beating.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Stottie Kyek posted:

Now you mention it, I've noticed women (myself included) do have a slightly higher voice when talking to people they don't know in a friendly way to be inoffensive, but deepen their voices when they're in a formal or business setting. IIRC amongst others, Margaret Thatcher, while not a good person to emulate in other respects, used to have elocution lessons to sound deeper so that other world leaders would take her seriously, and my female teachers at school would always talk deeper when they wanted to make it abundantly clear we'd been little shits.

This isn't entirely unique to women, either. Having worked a lot of customer service, I've noticed myself and the men I work with will tend to speak in a higher voice when dealing with customers. It's not always as easy to pick up on, depending on the man, in my experience.

I used to get a kick out of listening to my grandma and her receptionist friend whenever they'd answer phones, when I was a kid. One second they were speaking in their usual smoker-growls, cursing and grumbling, and then they'd be cheery and peppy as a little girl.

Edit: I never really saw the deeper-equals-mannish quality of a "commanding" tone to be the case. Male or female, the voice deepens with age so I always saw it as a "making your voice deeper makes you sound older and thus more important" deal. I may, in fact, be an idiot though.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 31, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

I think there's only one thing that could be done to fix this dude for the better, at this point.

It always boggles my mind how many people seem to just give up on relationships and dating because a handful of bad experiences. Yeah, that girl you had a crush on laughed at you instead of falling for you. So what? Life doesn't always go to your scripting, that's what makes it exciting. It might hurt, but you pick yourself back up and try again and again until you find someone that works with you. Closing yourself up and fawning after cartoon children is so far in the wrong direction that you're not even using the same map anymore.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Haraksha posted:

At what point do you watch enough DBZ that you actually believe you can fight? Where is that programmed into our brains?

It's like play-acting. When I was little, it was Power Rangers. You saw them do martial arts on the TV box, and then you pretended to do the same things. Some people just take it a step further and assume that pretending to do the same things long enough means you're doing the same things. Even if that thing is firing giant death lasers from your dick.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sir Prancelot posted:

Come to think of it, I have a lot of Chris stories...

I think you know what you need to do now.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Viola the Mad posted:

Masamune is the name of Sephiroth's sword. Presumably this is why Chris thought that katanas are 10 feet long, since in the publicity pictures his sword is usually drawn that large.

Back when I was ten, I discovered an AD&D 2e handbook on my brother's bookshelf and fell in love. Right around this time I was watching this anime, and I was nuts about this dark elf character in it, so naturally the very first character I ever created was a dark elf runaway princess. I never found a gaming group and abandoned table-top games until I went to college, so it took me a long time to realize that I had stumbled into the ranks of the hundreds (thousands?) of obnoxious players who were inspired by Drizzt Do'Urden to build idiot drow Mary Sue characters.

These days the nostalgic part of me wants to play a drow character, one that isn't all ANNNGST :emo: (complete with the two scimitars), but I'm terribly afraid that any DM I talk to will laugh me out of the room if I float the idea by him/her.

Both DMs/friends I have would totally be cool with that. Last game I was in, we had a couple Drow none of which were really angsty or emo.

More on-topic, I have a friend who named her son after Drizzt's father, Zakinefian(or something like that). I've yet to let her live down being such a dork.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

King of Solomon posted:

...They're going to register him as "Zack" at school, right? Right? :ohdear:

He's pretty much always referred to as Zak, so I imagine.

I'm actually surprised that my crazy anime obsessed friend, who has multiple internet boyfriends in Japan even, didn't name her daughter anything that nerdy.

Then again, a part of me still suspects she went with Julia after the character from Cowboy Bebop, so...

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Viola the Mad posted:

That is a horrible thing to do to a child.

I defend nothing.

I've been trying to think of some more stories of crazy friends I've had, but even my crazy-obsessed friend is a pretty functional woman outside of watching lots of anime.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Corbid Muriosity posted:

This reminds me, my best friends middle name is Lucifer. Yep. His mom is pretty nuts though, obviously. He is a very normal person though.

I've often half-joked about naming my first son Lucifer. First name.

I'd call him Luci, and he'd grow up to hate me so much.

I forget what the end goal to the plan is.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

He will call himself Fer and become a furry just to spite you.

Yeah, but then I'd be legally justified in beating him.

Also, I had a manager once who named his kid Zidane. After the FFIX character. He later found out that it's a semi-common name from his wife's homeland and can bullshit it as such to his in-laws.

As for anime addiction, what I find really funny is that there are actually genres of anime directly intended for adults...And a lot of the anime fans like Denise just don't seem to give a poo poo for it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Lote posted:

That kid will at some point begin telling people, "I was named after Zinedane Zidane."

Unless he takes after his dad, in which case he will one day name his child Cloud Sephiroth.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Farecoal posted:

That name is from Greek mythology? Woah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia

It seems it was more of a nickname for Artemis.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

That invites all sorts of family trouble even if there is no death involved :stare:

Just think of the future E/N thread! Or hell, even an Ask/Tell.

"Ask me about naming my son Oedipus!"

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SexyBlindfold posted:

i just marathoned through this thread. what i am not quite sure of, though, is why

A deep, deep self-loathing.

Seriously though, this thread has been good fun for the most part.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

uglynoodles posted:

I'm so sorry.
I'm sure you're well beyond all that now, but if you ever need someone to listen to, I'm a pro at being a non-judgmental pair of ears.

I'll second this. That kinda poo poo is hosed to high hell. I've got a bit of experience playing shrink, so consider me backup for Noodles if you ever need an ear or four.

uglynoodles posted:

As for what the other poster said regarding lots of socially underdeveloped girls going through "boy" phases, I'm certainly one of them. I was always a tomboy but because of many reasons I've already identified and gone through I went through a stage where I had serious problems with my gender and sex identity.

So it's a thing and, apparently, others have gone through it too. That's really nice to know because it was a really difficult thing for me and to know I'm not the only person in the world that's happened to is comforting somehow.

This isn't entirely unique to women, though it seems more common. Most of the women I've known actually went through a "boy" phase, including my sister, but I've also known a handful of men who had stretches where they leaned more towards identifying as girls. I think when you're a shy, awkward youth you can get a "the grass is greener" feeling about the opposite gender as you struggle with your own. Maybe a "it doesn't seem as bad for them" or "they seem to have their poo poo down better" thing.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Turpentine Caz posted:

I did sometimes get the sense, and please feel free to laugh, that I was a dinosaur. Walking like one, vocalising like one, generally pretending to be one. Dinosaurs and other animals from their reign were another obsession of mine, before even Lord of the Rings. This was long enough ago that it was probably just a tiny child messing around, though. I don't want to wonder about it so hard that I conjure memories out of whole cloth of being a raptor otherkin or whatever the hell.

I totally did this as a kid too. I loved dinosaur everything. Knew a fuckton about a wide range of species, wanted to study the poo poo out of some dinosaurs when I grew up, everything. And, for at least a while, insisted I was a dinosaur. I remember having an "egg-hatching" ritual in the morning, things like that. Apparently I even demanded to be tested to prove it, which my grandma agreed to until my mom shut her down. I think I'd grown out of it all by eight or nine, tops, though. I'm not sure how deeply I ever really believed it and, of course, I was mostly a little kid.

Turpentine Caz posted:

Sometimes when I got into a screaming match with mum or was really hideously upset I'd get the sense of me telling me to shut up and stop being an idiot, if that makes any sense. As in there were two of me, and one was above it all and thought the other was an idiot for getting caught up in all this emotional stuff. Sometimes when I wanted to break something out of frustration I'd stop and not do it because I told myself not to. I still don't know how normal this is. Can anyone chime in with comment as to whether they've experienced it?

Oddly enough, I can also go along with this too. In my mid-teens it was more as you said, like there was two (or more) people present. It still happens, but now it's more a case of an inner-dialogue I knowingly have with myself to work through a situation. If I've been depressed, I'll give myself a pep talk. If I'm angry, I'll tell myself to shut up and figure out why I'm angry in the first place, and so on. I've got a few ideas on why I do it, but anymore I don't see it as something negatively impacting my life. And, truthfully, that's the biggest difference between a mental "quirk" and an illness.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Turpentine Caz posted:

You are awesome. I used to walk to school like a Utahraptor when I was a tiny child. (They were my favourite of the raptors because they had the coolest colour scheme on Walking With Dinosaurs.) I was convinced I was going to be an archaeologist. And the swimming pool was not for swimming; it was for acting out dino hunting scenes.

I don't remember what I favored anymore, but it was awesome. The last time I remember anything along those lines, though, was in fifth grade. At the end of the year my teacher, who had become a good friend as well, complimented me on how well I'd come out of my shell over the year and hoped I'd continue to expand and grow as a person.

My response was to ask him to help me find the pieces, 'cause I was going to need my shell again come sixth grade. First year of Middle School for me, and all.

As for the "Inner Voices" thing, I don't know about famous or fictional people. I've long joked that I keep "backups" up my closest friends in my head, though. I used to have such long conversations with my best friend, in my head, that I'd forget I hadn't told him any of it when we'd talk later. Then again, 90% of his responses are always one-word so...

I'll be a nerd and say, though, that when I'm really depressed I give myself a Kamina Speech. Not, like, the character so much as the style of motivational speech. Really, just a mental punch to the face and a "Who the hell do you think you are!?" to help me see I need to keep going. :kamina:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Wandering Knitter posted:

I do that too. :ohdear: If I need to figure something out I have a mental conversation with my best friend from High School. I haven't spoke to him in about four years now and haven't really been friends with him in about eight, but he's still my mental "okay Knitter let's sit down and talk this out" voice.

Wonder what he would think of that. :v:

Haha, that's a bit more strange than mine. My best friend and I have been close for a while now, and still are. Though with both of us having cells now, I'm as prone to just up and text him as I am to have a mental conversation.

My pet theory for why I've always leaned on "Inner Voices", to the point where it was a big issue when I was a boy, is that I've always believed that I'm the only person I can count on 100% of the time.

Granted I'm usually counting on myself to gently caress up, but still. Reliability is reliability.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

GenericOverusedName posted:

Internalizing your thoughts and thinking things through is good, but if you spend so much time doing that that it ends up affecting your life in the real world, that's a problem.

This is pretty much the modern definition of mental illness, right here. It's generally accepted that everybody be crazy. Look at how many of us all did the same things as kids, still do the same things now, that could be considered symptoms of a problem. Deeper than that, most people have some "quirk" that's basically a low-level form of a proper mental illness.

But, until it starts to have a negative impact on your life, it's not considered a mental illness.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Wandering Knitter posted:

I'd move this to E/N. It's interesting, but not really in line with thousand dollar dolls and bolliwood movies.

I gotta side with Knitter here. It's interesting, but not really in the same vein as everything else at this point. By all means, make a thread (either in E/N for "advice" or in Ask/Tell for discussion) and link it here. I'm sure at least a few of us will trek over to keep you company.

Edit: Just want to say, as well, Dabbo I've had several friends go through at least vaguely similar poo poo and it never gets easier to hear about. It's a big part of why I want to go into psychology. Totally give you a hug if I could, for the good it'd do.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rorac posted:

This is an excellent question, one that really gets a lot of dragonkin. Personally, I do not believe I was from Earth at any point in time but instead an earth-like planet *somewhere* out there in space, probably one with less gravity and a thicker atmosphere, because I don't think anything but very small bird-sized dragons would even work on Earth. I'm not going to try to pinpoint a star or anything because I have no idea where it would be and even if somehow I ended up being correct it amounts to jack and poo poo due to the distances involved.

This is literally the first time in the entire thread where I've read something that caused my head to instantly seek out my desk. And this is with my having a handle that involves Japanese AND dragons in the same word.

I almost want to call troll on this, with the build-up about how you're not as bad or crazy as most otherkin and then..."Oh yeah I'm a space-dragon". I mean, poo poo. You couldn't even just be a Komodo Dragon? Those are badass, and even give an excuse for having bad breath.

I have to second some other questions, if this is legit, how is this not escapism? You're claiming to be a space-dragon, it's kind of hard to escape much harder then that.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Rorac, what personality traits or feelings do you have that point inescapably to your having been a dragon specifically (and not something else)? How or why do those traits do not fall into the range of traits that can be held by "normal" humans?

Like, what I'm trying to get at is do you think that the range of human feeling does not encompass sometimes feeling primal, or alienated, or strong, or whatever?

I've found dragons and bears share a lot of traits. Strong, loner, protective, wise, etc. I mostly mention this because I've had a few spiritualist friends who would identify me with the bear, including an ex who insisted I was of a bear totem or something. I guess bears and wolves don't get along, or something? But I've also seen the same things said of dragons, from my more youthful days of "dragons are fuckin' :black101: as hell!"

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rorac posted:

I would also like to ask a question as well, to anybody. You've read the things I said, how I've said it, heard what otherkin is to me and what it isn't. I want to know: do you think I'm really, truely insane? If yes, do you think I'm capable or incapable of functioning in the world in parity with any of you? And if yes to that, I would like to know that given that, does it ultimately matter? If I am wrong or even insane, do I or did I not at least try to approach it in a healthy manner?

I'm not a psychologist (yet), but no you do not appear to be what would be considered mentally ill. Do you have problems? Yes. But, as I've mentioned in the past, it is only considered a proper mental illness when it negatively impacts your life. However, I once had a professor point out that by that definition you could be a paranoid schizophrenic and be considered "healthy" if you were able to twist your condition to your daily benefit. I suppose that goes somewhat in line with sociopaths tending to be more successful in business, due to a lack of empathy with others.

So, in short, you be crazy but not insane.

Edit: VVVVVVVVVV This is the right thing to do.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

No it's pretty weird for anyone over the age of like, 12 to have crushes on imaginary people that were designed by people who have crushes on imaginary people. Besides, I've heard the crazier fangirls say the exact same thing. 'Oh it's totally harmless and everyone does it and and and..."

Well, that's because it is totally harmless if it's just a silly little crush and not a full-blown obsession. Most of the people in this thread, like Denise and Summer, have skyrocketed past "crush" and well into the obsession range.

Going, "Hey that character possesses personality traits I find attractive" and even wishing you could find someone similar isn't exactly terrible, or even unnatural, so long as you keep the firm line in the sand between "liking certain traits" and "HOLY poo poo SHE'S MY WAIFU!"

• Locked thread