Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Brick Shipment posted:

Why are people mocking the OP's writing style? No one goes off and gets a creative writing degree just to write a post on the goddamn internet.

Because shitposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I read the free sample of that book, because I had to, and it brings up more questions than it answers.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

sweeperbravo posted:

This is making me really want to start a thread for "PYF stupid poo poo from your teenage diary."

Because I had some dumb madeup poo poo I wrote about, except it was *real people* I went to school with. I didn't think any boys I liked were secret anime vampires on the astral plane, I just was convinced that if I won my next game of solitaire it meant that one of them had a crush on me back.

Tangentially related, in middle school I'd play Team Deathmatch with NPCs in Unreal Tournament, and I named all the NPCs after my classmates and friends. I always had my current crush programmed to "Cover me!" and swooned whenever he avenged my death. :allears:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

bringmyfishback posted:

just like Bella Swan is totally Stephenie Meyer.

While Bella Swan is an obvious author self-insert, it should be noted that the protagonist of Stephenie Meyer's other novel, "The Host," is named Melanie Stryder. Very subtle, Ms. Meyer. Well played. :thumbsup:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I wouldn't mind saddling the kid with Paladin, simply because it be a unique enough name and I can always go "Hey Pal what's up?" Until he grows to resent me forever.

Everyone would just assume you're a WoW addict.

Also for a moment I thought I'd misclicked on the 'PYF terrible names' thread, and this probably goes there rather than here, but my best friend in elementary school was named Cinnamin [sic] Joy. Maybe her parents were astrally married to candy bars? :confuoot:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I'm really sorry you went through that scary experience and felt you couldn't report it at the time. I think it has nothing to do with intelligence. Most teens understandably are still learning about handling ackward social situations in a healthy way. For girls in particular I think it's more of a cultural socialization to be polite, meek, and silent in social situations - loudly raising objection is 'being hysterical' and dismissed as unfeminine. I'm speaking from an American perceptive; I'm also speaking from my own experiences as a woman who since early childhood was constantly scolded for having a big mouth, something never directed toward male family or peers.

I absolutely agree with this. As an early adolescent I ended up in a very bad situation with some very bad people many years older than me and I was afraid to ask for help from my parents or authorities -- it didn't help that my family was deeply religious and that turned what was happening, in my mind, into something that I deserved and made sense in God's Ineffable Plan. Eventually I asked my parents for help and it was translated as me lying and acting out for attention (in my parents' defense, my younger sister was in the hospital due to colon cancer so it wasn't entirely unreasonable to think that).

Ten years later we're still dealing with the repercussions: me in my everyday life, them in plainly expressed guilt, and us in trying to repair our relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

This sounds like it'll be a good one. :allears:

(also welcome to SA!)

• Locked thread