Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
People who believe they are dragons or wolves or angels or whatever flavor-of-the-week special creature have been with us forever. It's just that, before the Internet, you rarely heard about them unless there was some spectacular crime involved. "Woman who killed husband thought she was a dragon", that sort of thing. But now they have an echo chamber, one that reinforces their perceptions, and so we are all more aware or their insanity.

Another vote for Chronological Order here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Apollodorus, I've never heard of the Brontės keeping those 'role-playing journals,' what's a good resource about that?

Oh, gosh, there's been a ton of research into this. The girls were infatuated with Wellington, for example. They drew and painted, creating a fantasy world with a little king in a high-necked Beau Brummel coat.

You might start with any of the books that discuss their artwork. There's quite a bit out there.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Swillkitsch posted:

Reading this entire thread has been a surreal experience. Kudos to both of you guys for coming out of it well-adjusted in any fashion. I have immense pity for the girl's father.

I can definitely see how this kind of extreme escapism might feel necessary; kids will go through a lot not to feel lonely. Still, I'm pretty appalled at the idea of somebody watching dozens of shows that presumably have even a meter of depth and coming away from it all with the idea that "rape is love" fantasies mean...you know...rape is love. Err. And then to inflict those fantasies on other people--?

"Rape is Love" is an old, old, old theme that never seems to crawl away and die. Hell, in some cultures it's the basis for marriage: He raped me so now he has to marry me. Bu he did it because he really loves me, you see. That's why we're married.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Viola the Mad posted:

Why do these crazy fans always hate bathing? I can understand people eating junk food and not exercising because they like the taste and it's harder to put the effort into staying in shape. But why would they hate feeling clean? It's not that difficult to get up and go take a shower. On the few occasions where I've had to go without bathing for two or three days, I feel terrible and disgusting and won't feel until I take a shower. Why would anyone put up with feeling dirty all the time? Ugh!

It's been said before, but: Mental illnesses. Depression, yes, but also schizophrenic disorders will manifest as general inability to care for oneself.

Notice I said 'inability' rather than 'unwillingness'. They can't bring themselves to do it, no matter the rationale they give. They just can't do it.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Katsudon posted:

Edit: vvvv

The bigger ones do. And I mean the SUPER big ones which are called the Dollfie Dream, especially if it's a limited edition one and/or based off a popular franchise. There's one on the website that's both of those things and is 72,450 yen which would have been around $800 a year or so ago (but would now probably be a grand or something since the yen has inflated a lot this past year). Add in outfits and alternate parts and yeah you're spending an obscene amount of money. Plus, Denise strikes me as dumb enough to fall for buying this stuff on ebay, where they really inflate the prices.

Also, male dollfies do in fact exist. They are extremely effeminate though.

Man I remember at one point I entertained the idea of owning a dollfie since I've always been really into dolls and collecting things (I have a decent-ish porcelain doll collection for instance and have moved onto cheaper, smaller things like nendoroids and other types of figures) but the price is just so ridiculous that the thought's been wiped clear from my head.

$800 is the base price. That gets you a doll blank from a mold, possibly with no face. It will have no hair, eyes, or any kind of painting. It will even still have the mold lines from the manufacturing of it.

So you have to choose a face ($25 & up), eyes ($20 & up), hair ($25 & up). You either have to sand/dremel the mold lines smooth or pay someone to do it for you. As for the face painting (eyebrows, lips, cheeks) you must do it yourself or have someone at the factory do it for you ($45 & up).

By the time you are done you are out a grand, and all you have to show for it is a naked doll.

My Aunt & Sister collect dolls. My sister has a Dollfie($1300) and a Jace($2K). Jace is made by a Korean company, Soom, I believe. He is big--24" or thereabouts.

They are striking when done up, dressed, and displayed, but drat are they expensive.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Pick posted:

Wow, this thread gets crazier and crazier. Thanks for keeping us updated so promptly!

It really depends on the company. Bobobie is like $180 for a full-size doll; Soom/Volks/Iplehouse will be up to about $900 or so.

Jace is by Unidoll, and he doesn't run nearly $2K (although he's now discontinued for being kind of ugly). Base Jace was like $600. The most expensive dolls I know are some of the limited Sooms. I had a Euclase I re-sold for I think $1,800 when I left the hobby about three or four years back. (Well, almost left--I still have one Iplehouse Kamau.)

I'm going by the prices my sister quoted me. She had Jace done up as a pirate, with a sword & gun, so that may be where the big cost was. I agree that he isn't a pretty doll--he has a long, beaky nose.

I was flipping through one of her doll magazines to see something called a Soom Sook(sp?). The damned thing was huge--it was the size of a kid, 30" tall or so. It had poseable hands, which means that the fingers move individually. It was posed holding cigarettes and other things. There was also some company that made things like mermaid tails, wings, or hooves for the dolls so they could be different creatures.

Denise really needs a Reborn doll. Those are life-sized baby dolls that you paint and customize. My sister made hers into a baby demon, with little horns and fangs.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Sir Prancelot posted:

His simmering hate cauldron didn't tip over until Lisa started playing Yugioh with her younger sister and getting poo poo for that.

Now I want a simmering hate cauldron of my very own. :swoon:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

RalAegidius posted:

That wiki description is a serious :catstare:

"The story was a bestseller of its time and was very widely read, even though it also received criticism for its perceived licentiousness."

Oh, so it was criticized not because it depicts a story of a girl who is kidnapped, locked in a cage, and raped repeatedly who yet falls in love with her captor and lives happily ever after, but because it's ribald.

Okay.

I don't think we read the same "Pamela".

She isn't raped in the book. Nor is she locked in a cage. She is kept against her will at an estate, but again she is not raped. Squire B tries his best to seduce her, but she refuses him. He offers her money, estates for her poverty-stricken parents, and she still turns him down as to become his mistress is to be a prostitute. She holds out until he finally marries her.

Now, there are loads of 18th C novels full of rape & sexual violence, but "Pamela" isn't one of them. It's still sexy as hell, with implied lesbian scenes, nudity, and so on, but next to something like "Fanny Hill" it's pretty tame.

Is there anything that really links over to the behavior of Denise? In its time there were loads of "Pamela" fanfics, fan art, and so on. They're called 'derivative works' but that's all fan work is anyway.

Scary to think that there must have been 18th C versions of Denise around, although instead of being married to various digimon it would be satyrs and such from classical antiquity.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
This will sound like it's down the rabbit hole & out into Neverland, but here we go.

Writers are highly aware of a phenomena known as 'living characters'. When writing, characters will 'come to life' and when they do they completely take over the work. They have their own voices, personalities, and preferences, and fighting them makes for a very difficult task. Some refer to is as 'automatic writing' others 'seat of the pants writing' and still others as 'batshit insane'. Writers learn to let them have their way and then go back and carefully edit the manuscript.

Readers can pick up on living characters rather easily. Not all books have them. Some writers hate them to the point of reworking everything to avoid them.

How can you tell if a character is alive? Well, the most famous living character is probably Sherlock Holmes. Thackery acknowledged that Becky Sharpe of "Vanity Fair" had a mind of her own; this is one of the earliest references to the phenomena.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Corridor posted:

I didn't know there was a name for it but I've always known the phenomenon. Man when one of my characters doesn't develop into a 'living' one I get really disappointed. Often I'll scrap them and create another from scratch in attempts to make it happen. I can't imagine hating a living character. They're a lot of fun but tend to hog the narrative like egocentric actors trying to out-ham each other. In fact I often think of them as actors that I script and direct but which have their own demands and needs that I have to work around.

I remember one I wrote about a while ago decided he was gay. It was loving weird because his sexuality had nothing to do with anything in the story. I resisted and rewrote for a long time, then finally figured that if he wanted to come out that badly then it would be a shame to deny him. But after that he didn't really work well in the role anymore so I wrote him out entirely. And then I felt weirdly prejudiced, like I fired an employee unfairly or something. :psyduck:

fake e: I also heard that when Schulz originally wrote Lucy in his Peanuts comic, she was a very sweet little girl.

real e: I can see the living character thing happening a lot in Vanity Fair, actually. The story gets taken in some wildly different directions at times, and Becky in particular... at the beginning you're very sympathetic to her as a clever and independent woman making a bunch of idiots dance for her, and at the end you still sort of like her but she's such a callous sociopath that her downfall comes as a relief. She's like an old buddy who used to be awesome and then got progressively more manipulative, and you try to keep liking her for the person she used to be but you finally just admit she's too far gone.

It's startling when they come alive, isn't it? Yes, you want them to do so, but when they do it's always a thrill. If you let them do all the heavy lifting for you, writing moves quickly. Sure, you have to go back and fix things, but letting them have their way is a fun ride. You never know where you're going to end up.

But there are people who can't lose that control. They want things to move in a set way and follow a strict outline. Sometimes the characters will live and spite them; at other times they have only a pile of inert words to show for it.

You'd be surprised at the number of books whose characters are just inert lumps. Most of them, really. One of the things that make stories immortal are the live characters. Amazingly, it is not discussed in writing and literature classes as often as you would expect. It's probably too uncomfortably close to schizophrenia for non-writers to truly comprehend. Not that writers aren't crazy, you understand; it's just that we prefer to keep it to ourselves. :cheers:

Khazar-khum fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 2, 2011

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Awesome Animals posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised that people would look at 'living characters' as crazy. I'm not much of a writer, but it seems like a perfectly reasonable phenomena. I look at it similar to the way method actors work. I feel that they act that way because the character becomes part of them or real to them.

This is definitely a concept I'm going to explore. Fascinating.

I have always been amazed that it has not been further explored by psychological interests. I would think there's a PhD waiting to happen with it.

Until very recently the University of Iowa's outstanding creative writing program neither discussed nor acknowledged the living character. Those who brought it up were greeted with polite silence. This may have changed in the past few years, however. I have a niece who just started in the program. I'll have to ask her.

The big difference between living characters and method actors is that the actor seeks to become another, while the writer is fractured into many distinct personalities.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Corridor posted:

When you say 'doll hobby', do you mean spending money on dolls or actually making the loving things? Because if it's the latter I'd love to get in on that.

e: Not Dollfie brand obviously, but those strange ball-jointed things that resemble them, they look fun even if resin is a oval office.

My Aunt & Sister have always been doll people in that they collect & dress the dolls. We've (me & spouse)always enjoy creating things, love to costume things, and modifying or repainting less expensive dolls is something we started to look into. Not to make money, just for relaxation & fun.

You can buy kits, molds & such off of Ebay & others. Stringing them is apparently a real bitch (the one I have came pre-strung). You buy their eyes, wigs & such separately so you can do an incredible amount of customizing on even the kit ones & unfinished ones. The people in this thread that are really into them can probably tell you which kits are best for starters.

Personally I want to get decent at repainting & redoing hair on the Tonner dolls. They are 18" and look more human than the BJDs.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Not sure how I missed this but this is generally definitely not a thing. There are lolitas who are infantalists or ageplayers but that isn't why most lolitas are into it.

There are also non-lolitas who carry the dolls everywhere. This isn't really a new thing--in the 1920's many of the flappers carried large dolls with them to the speakeasies.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Ant's endless Tandy stories are pure bullshit. He has an insanely hot wife who doesn't care if he goes off to sleep with this insanely hot former soldier, who in turn does three-ways with him and his friend. Sure. Uh-huh. He's psychotic, too, which allows him to survive brutality that would kill a lesser man.

The biggest difference between Ant and someone like Denise is that he hides behind a veneer of decent writing on the Internet.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Corridor posted:

I'm not sure that's a theory so much as it is totally obvious.

50 Foot Ant's stories are quite good but he never makes his own goddamn threads, he always has to hijack other people's and dominate them. His custom title used to be something like "Watch me invalidate your personal experiences with this TOTAL FABRICATION", which I found extremely fitting. People would post about poo poo that ostensibly happened to them, sometimes quite traumatic, and then Ant would barge in with one of his goddamn stories.

Good writer, no loving sense of propriety.

Yeah, there's pretty much nothing new or interesting posted once he settles in. The whole thread becomes a constant lovefest for him, and you know he eats that up.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

purple_sammich posted:

God, Supernatural fans are seriously the worst. I was never really in the midst of the fandom until I joined tumblr and I spend a lot of time wishing I could punch them all in the throat. Still, they're pretty fascinating. My favorite thing is when they threaten to murder the writers because the writers either don't understand the characters like the fandom does or they are going out of their way to ruin certain characters on purpose.

I don't know how common this behavior and way of thinking is but goddamn is it prevalent in the Supernatural fandom.

Just look at how people have reacted to the way Lucas treated Darth Vader in the prequels.

You would be hard-pressed to say he hadn't ruined the character.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
The big D&D story brought back so many memories...

I was 19, your typical dumb college freshman from the sticks. I had played D&D at my sister's house a couple of years earlier & had a blast, so when I found a gaming club at school it was a natural fit. The club was a reasonably positive experience; I made some lifelong friends and generally enjoyed myself. So when someone suggested meeting up at Cat, Pete & Liz' place for a game, it sounded OK.

Pete was your classic nerd/neckbeard, with bad skin, an unearned air of superiority, and a severe allergy to anything that looked like work. He'd been an OK student until D&D took over his life. He eventually dropped out to play constantly.

Cat had been in an accident as a child, and as a result she suffered from brain damage. She was a gentle person, and had she found the right people she might have been more or less OK. Cat sincerely believed she was a cat trapped in a human body. So while sitting around she would lick herself, meow, purr or hiss. They all lived off of her Section 8, food stamps and disability.

Liz believed that everyone that ever met her fell instantly in love with her. Not due to outer beauty, mind you, but because her real form--which alternated between a woman who commanded cats and Tiamut the dragon--was irresistible to all. When talking she changed voices as she shifted between forms.

Liz was fired from her job at Wendy's, which apparently caused her to suffer from PTSD. She told everyone that her dead father's spirit caused her to show up in dirty uniforms, to drop food on the floor, to not be able to give change, and so on. Why he would do that was never explained. It meant that she burst into tears when asked if she was looking for a job or going to school.

There were many others, but the one I recall best, Dave, had gotten Liz pregnant while they were both in dragon form. Unfortunately when she shifted back to human form she stayed pregnant. After a fight with Pete she had an abortion, telling him afterwards that she killed his baby because it was evil. Or a black dragon, or because she had seen his true form and he had to be stopped. In any event she never told Pete the baby wasn't his.

The apartment was dirty, but not too far gone. Cat would clean while Liz sat around, writing in a notebook, because her cat mistress wanted her story told. When she was writing she had to read out loud, so that we could hear the true story as it unfolded. If anyone talked, or did anything that might pull attention away from Liz, she'd signal Cat to hiss and growl until we returned our rapturous gaze upon her.

There's more, including the night both Liz and Cat were in their true forms while in heat.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Rexides posted:

Wait, was this a real pregnancy, or an "astral pregnancy"? You really need to be specific in this thread.

A very real pregnancy. TTBOMK Pete still believes he was the father.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

kimbo305 posted:

Was Dave another person, or an accidental misname? I had trouble following that part.

Sorry for the confusion--I was up very late and dain bread. This should help. All names are changed.

The Cast of Characters:

Liz: AKA Tiamut, Queen of the Cats. She was the center of everything, and I mean everything. She claimed to have slept with everyone in the group. Believed she controlled everyone and forced them to worship and love her.

Pete: Nerdy guy who was Liz' lover. He ran the games.

Cat: Shy woman in her 30s who had suffered brain trauma in an accident. Sincerely believed she was a cat. Liz used her as a combination domestic slave/enforcer.

Dave: Creepy bastard who hung around Liz and Cat. He fathered a child with Liz, which she subsequently aborted.

Bill: The man they all wanted/wanted to be. He had sex with Liz once and she always hounded him for more.

Liz' pregnancy was all too real. She claimed that she had gotten pregnant as a dragon on the astral plane, and somehow it continued on this plane too. She convinced Pete it was his baby, even though Dave and she openly bragged that Dave was the father. After a vicious fight she had an abortion, claiming that she was ridding the world of evil. TTBOMK Pete still believes he was the father.

I spent as little time as possible around these people. For one thing, unlike the rest of them I actually attended the classes I was paying for. For another, they had all known each other since high school, so I was a perennial outsider. And finally, Liz hated my guts because I refused to have sex with her.

Bill and I had several classes together, so whenever he bothered to show up I got to hear about the status quo. And it was all Liz, all the time. Not in a good way, either. Everything was one-upsmanship. A woman was raped near the campus. Within a week Liz was gang-raped near the apartments. Someone was turned down for a job. Liz was denied a job because she was overqualified. I wanted to be a writer. Liz had books on submission at every major publisher, plus had been told she was brilliant by Alan Dean Foster.

I mentioned to Bill that I thought it was convenient for things to happen to her after they happened to someone else. He didn't believe she would make anything up. Why, yes, every time she called Pete to tell him one of her rapists was at the AM/PM where she worked was legit--the guy just happened to leave before Pete got there. Of course DAW books was going to publish the cat queen books; any day now she was getting the contracts. AM/PM only hired her to teach everyone else how to work.

Bill also said that Cat's grandmother tried to force her to come home, because she thought Liz was a bad influence. Cat, though, was over 30, and while she had the mind of a 12 year old she was a legal adult and there was nothing that could be done. It didn't help my standing within the group that I agreed with the grandmother.

One afternoon Bill offered to take me gaming at Pete, Liz & Cat's. Against my better judgement I agreed. When we got there Bill was greeted like royalty. He was going to be a film maker, and everyone wanted to be in his movies. He was going to be a great writer. He was a brilliant psychic. He knew Real Magick. Like one of my friends said, they all thought the sun shone out Bill's rear end. I like the guy, but I also know what he really is: A great bullshitter.

Everyone was in a good mood except for Liz. She hadn't been warned I was coming, so she sulked on the sofa, writing her cat story and making Cat meow or hiss on command. After a short while, she said these golden words:

"Cat, you're in heat. I can smell it."

I wanted out, gone, now. Unfortunately my ride was Bill, and he wasn't going anywhere.

Cat knelt next to Liz. She began butting her head against Liz', meowing and purring. Liz meowed back and started rubbing Cat's head. Cat purred and licked Liz, while Liz took off her shirt.

I know what you're thinking. Two chicks making out on the sofa=HOT. Well, no. For one thing, neither was under 200 pounds. For another, Cat was somewhat hygiene deficient. Not too gross, but bad enough. To take this to the next level of nastiness, this was an old, worn, stained sofa in a cheap, run-down apartment with a carpet that smelled of stale beer and cigarettes.

Liz ordered Cat to lick her breasts. Cat kept saying "Yes, mother queen" while fondling Liz. Liz ordered her to undress and Cat did so.

They started rolling around and over each other, meowing and purring. Liz finally got undressed. Once they were both naked they began to howl, screeching like animals in heat. They squirmed across the floor, with Liz on top, thrusting away. Poor Cat could only meow and scream.

When they were finished, they lay sprawled across the floor. Finally Pete said something to Liz, and they both got dressed. They wanted to continue the game, although Cat kept rubbing on Liz and moaning "thank you, mother queen".

I left and never went back.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Were you guys just staring at them in shock as they did that... er, performance, or was this in the middle of the gaming session? How the hell did Bill not want to leave at that point?

Shock. Absolute shock. For me, anyway. Typically D&D games do not dissolve into live sex shows.

This happened about two hours into the game. Liz had been sullen and sulking. Cat was too busy hissing at us for not paying attention to Liz' cat story that I suspect that she was unaware that there was a game going on.

Bill didn't realize I'd gone until someone asked where I was. He caught up to me in the apartment complex parking lot and agreed to take me home. On the way back to my house he apologized for their behavior. I think he was utterly shocked as well.

Considering the way Pete and Dave were acting, I would not be surprised if there was an orgy after we left.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

SuperBot posted:

:negative: How did you play a game with that...spectacle going on? I literally can't conceive of a situation in which a tabletop game can be played, by anybody, with THAT happening.

It stopped. Everything stopped dead, while all the writhing took over the sofa and floor.

Not too much had been going on, game-wise, before; we were supposed to listen to Liz' cat lady story during interludes in play.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

OldMemes posted:

This is the most depressing part. Did no one call Liz out on the fact that she was taking advantage of a mentally handicapped person? Surely this counts as abuse?

This whole story is :smith: Do you know if Cat ever left and went home?

Cat's story is not a good one.

Through a mutual friend I tried to keep tabs on her. My folks had a guest house on the property and were open to her perhaps staying there, as she loved cats. Since people were always dumping animals near our place, my mom thought it would be nice to have someone to help her out with feeding the various critters and so forth.

Cat refused to come because Liz said I was an evil presence. Since Cat had known her for years she naturally trusted Liz. Even when they were all evicted she would not come. They were evicted because neither Liz nor Pete were supposed to be there. But since it was a cheap place covered by Section 8, the landlord only cared when the sex and fighting got loud enough for the neighbors to complain.

For a while Pete & Liz lived with Bill's family, so Cat had to go home to grandma. Good, right? Grandma made her stay clean, go to some adult ed classes, and keep away from Liz. This worked until Liz got a car. She and Pete literally abducted her from the adult ed class. They had an apartment and wanted her to stay, so that they could live off of her again.

They stayed there for a couple of years until Cat got extremely ill and needed medical care. Liz called an ambulance for her and she went to the hospital, where they contacted her grandmother. She took Cat home with her.

From my perspective that was the best thing to do. To the rest of them grandma was a horrible person for keeping Cat 'locked up'. Grandma let her go to cons and renfaires, but only with certain people and under the condition she would have no contact with Liz. She ran into a batch from one of the faires who proceeded to take every thing she had. She'd go with them for the weekend and pay for everything for the bunch. And--surprise!--Liz was friends with them, too.

No one wanted to tell me what happened after that, because I sided with Grandma. However, it seems they talked her into donating some money to the renfaire, which probably means that she paid for all their crap. She apparently follows the faire circuit, which you can do for most of the year if you really want to. At the faires she apparently stays in the encampments, cleaning for whoever is currently taking advantage of her. I have seen her a couple of times, but since I think Grandma is the only one who truly cares about her I'm not a good person and she doesn't want to talk to me.

I don't want to think about what will happen when Grandma dies.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Spitball Trough posted:

I would love to hear more about this guy. If only because hearing about anybody but the alpha male of the group would probably break my brain even more....

Bill.

He is a very personable and charismatic man. Compared to the rest of the guys he is Adonis.

Bill was the kid we all knew (or were) in high school. Smart, talented, funny, mature-ish, seemed to have his act together. Like a lot of kids in the gifted programs, he'd learned how to get high grades without working, sailing unimpeded through a school system that's so irredeemably broken that it can't even begin to handle him. His SATs were high enough he could have gone anywhere, but he chose to go the university nearby so he could stay at home & save money.

I knew him from the gifted program because we were in the same district. That meant whenever they took us somewhere to be enriched we were all herded onto the same bus. So I saw him at Superior Court(we went there a lot), various museums, shows and so on.

He easily commands all the attention in a room, probably because he is a good actor and raconteur. If he had played his cards right he might have had an acting career. At one time he and Pete wanted to make movies. If they had actually tried they might have succeeded. Instead they spent all their time yakking, planning, and holding court over people who were in awe of them, because they had Dreams and they were going to Make It Big. It never occurred to them to shut up and get to work.

Like a lot of people he is creative, and creative in the same way as everyone else. He wants to write fantasy, epic scifi(self-insert) and horror. And like a lot of people he doesn't understand that there's a lot of work involved with writing, that there's more to it than a trip to TV Tropes and a round of NaNoWriMo. Not that it matters, because he will never get around to it anyway. But someday he might, and when he does it will be amazing.

We were the same major in college, so we had a lot of the same classes. Somewhere around Finals he discovered D&D. He was overwhelmed by the finals, and like a lot of people unused to being challenged by school he was lost and needed an escape. Take a guy who tends to be the center of attention anyway, add in his natural acting ability, give it a touch of storytelling, and you have the recipe for Bill.

First week of classes, he attended them all. Then he started to slide. He'd show up maybe once a week. That turned into no times a week and calling me for homework. You can get away with that in some classes--hell, for a lot of them all you have to do is pass a couple of tests. But you can't do that with all of them, and not if you want to stay on the Dean's List.

Pretty soon it went from asking me about assignments to asking to see my notes. From there it was a step to borrowing my books, because he'd sold his back to buy D&D books and crap. I'm anal about my books, so I told him if he wanted to use mine we'd either meet in the library or at my house. We'd meet up, but instead of reading the chapters he'd talk about his characters' exploits.

By Spring break he was in serious trouble because of gaming. He wasn't the only one--Pete dropped out because of gaming, and Liz and her various cohorts had all left school to spend time playing. He lost his fast food job because he kept taking off to game. And just when he was getting so lost in gaming, he discovered hard drugs.

A few of us watched the death spiral. There was no way to stop it--he had to hit bottom all by himself. Which he eventually did, sleeping in a derelict old car with his cheap girlfriend, a hooker he was going to 'save'. By then he had lost school, home, his family and probably his mind. Yet there were people who still thought he had it made, who believed he'd make movies and be a huge success.

Pete picked him up and the two moved away. The hooker was sent back after Pete caught her stealing. Bill got into rehab, and while it took forever he finally got clean. He is now married. And every weekend he holds court over a bunch of gaming losers who are sure that one day he's going to rock the world.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Thuryl posted:

After your previous story, I was wondering if Bill was hanging around all those weirdos because he got off on the idea of being the biggest fish in a very small pond. Sounds like I wasn't too far off.

Pretty much. I love the guy like a brother, but drat I want to kick his rear end sometimes.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Rexides posted:

Those poor, poor people. I can't even begin to imagine suddenly having to live with these weirdos. How long is "a while" anyway? After reading these stories, even a weekend with them would feel like eternity.

Several months. Liz was one of the few people who didn't hate their daughter, so that helped. The daughter was a major druggie and had aggression issues. Anyone who could handle her in any way was always welcome. Liz did so by dragging her into her cat queen world, where she was now a princess. She was probably better off on drugs.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

the kawaiiest posted:

Nah it's all right, I understand. I assure you I would never tell someone to just copy some books and not draw from life.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain was designed to help beginner artists learn how to see things and put them on paper. It's not really a "how to draw" book as much as it's a "how to see" book, and it's really helpful for life drawing.

To be honest with you I'm not very fond of conceptart myself -- I left them after one of the mods there posted a step by step "tutorial" which consisted of literally just him tracing a photograph and talking about his "amazing master skills" and how much work it was to trace poo poo and everyone praised him for the "great artwork", which was some stiff, overrendered Photoshopped fartbarf with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It was really quite sad.

Ooohhh! I just learned a new favorite word--"fartbarf"!

Sadly, there are no small children nearby to learn it.

Anyway, I think one of the reasons you don't get real criticism away from specialty boards is that people really don't want to hear it. I am approaching this as a writer rather than an artist, but the response is the same. They want to hear that maybe there's some spelling errors, or the tense in a sentence on page 47 is wrong. They don't want to hear that their epic magnum opus about Snape and James Potter as 12 year old lovers just might not be a good idea, or that maybe they might want to do some research and find out if there really is surfing off of Manhattan.

No, it's all "my ideas are as valid as anyone else's" all the time, and "you aren't qualified to judge me because I was published once" as a refrain. The end result is that those who seek to improve are frustrated, while the hugbox and cuddlepuddle soldiers on.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Nuzzybear posted:

This thread needs to be archived in to a best-selling novel. The thought of some of these people(denise) possibly reproducing worries me beyond belief.

Are you ever in luck!:dance:

Liz, the Cat Queen/Tiamut charmer, has at least one child. I heard about it after the fact from Bill, who was relieved the kid wasn't his.

Oh, she was a fanfic writer, too. She was into the Phantom of the Opera and Star Trek, so she wrote endless crossover slash/torture porn epics. Which she then submitted, to actual publications. She couldn't figure out why they were never accepted. Somehow she convinced herself, Cat, Pete & Dave that it was because she was a girl and they never publish anything by girls. :byodame:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Corbid Muriosity posted:

How do people purr? Does she just make some kind of slight gurgling noise with her mouth?

Like an idiot, I once asked Cat how she did that. There were two ways, apparently. One was saying 'brrrrruuuuttttt' with rolling Rs. The other was based in your throat, kind of like gargling but softer and drier.

The 'brrrruuttt' noise was used when asking for affection, and the other was for after sex.

God why did I ask...:suicide:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

the kawaiiest posted:

Here, :nws: :nms: I've got a gift for you.

You're welcome! :shobon:

You know how I can tell the Internet has killed my soul?

I looked at that and thought, "That was an expensive modification."

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
My sister called me today. She was at Furcon in San Jose over the weekend.

She has always loved and collected dolls and stuffed animals. A few years ago she went into business, making some anthro animals such as Egyptian gods. She also made some highly realistic critters as well. Since she's gotten ill she no longer makes animals, but does sell some from other manufacturers.

She's not into fursuits, but she does wear cat ears with certain costumes.

I asked her about the fursuit people. You know, for science. :science:

She said that the mascot-type are popular because they are the easiest to make. They can be made out of cheaper fur and still be OK. The high-end, realistic ones are much more expensive in terms of fur and time.

She also said she hates the idiots who do the yiffing crap and never bother to get the suit cleaned. :barf:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Well Manicured Man posted:

Is this something that really happens? Those things can't be very well ventilated, especially the mascot costume variety (as anyone who's had a job as a mascot can testify), and too much physical activity or exercise (such as sex) in one of those things could kill you from heat exhaustion.

As far as deaths go, that's probably more embarrassing than death by autoerotic asphyxiation.

She says she's seen some strange things, but never in public; it was usually at a private party in a hotel room. One guy tried to talk her into it as a way of 'bringing out her true feline self'.

She's married, BTW.

There are cooling vests you can wear and you can build in some ventilation. Even so, they're still hot as hell when it's warm out.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Domus posted:

I've been inside a cat-in-the-hat and a mama bear, and gently caress if I could see a drat thing in them. I had to have a helper to lead me around, and I think most mascots at disney and so forth have helpers. Ok, I guess that the brain is the biggest sex organ, and all that, but what's the point of doing it if you can't even see what you're doing?

I guess it's the thought that counts?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

nanomachines posted:

At a convention last year, M hung around my sales table to tell me at length about how her doll was dressed as her character cosplaying as Jareth from Labyrinth.

Wazzup, dealer's room goon!

You meet cool people and make great friends. And then--there's Them.

At the scifi, renfairs & comiccons I am grateful to have a nice, safe table between me & Them.

You know Them. Pignose, fanboys covered in Axe and grime, greasy-haired half-ton weeabos--Them.

The worst--the absolute worst--was a stinking threesome who wandered up to my booth. Two male, one female. All wearing filthy clothes that barely covered their genitals. No underwear, naturally. None of it had been washed in years. The smaller man fingerbanged the woman while the big man talked endlessly about his adventures with swords and elves.

Yeah. At my innocent booth. They stayed for what seemed like hours, the woman moaning and the little man banging away.

It's been something like 20 years, and my brain still bleeds.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

CaladSigilon posted:

And you didn't call the police to have them arrested for... god, I can't even think of how many things?

Come on man, do it for the rest of us. :effort:

I did tell con security. They found them hanging around the hospitality suite, scoring free food.

Why yes, I've never been able to eat at a hospitality suite. How did you guess?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

CuddleChunks posted:

Ugh, Picasso was such a hack. Check out his lovely drawing technique right here:

Where's the dynamic background? Where are the sweatdrops and other emotes that we need in order to understand her emotions? Where are the thought or speech balloons to let us know what she's saying/thinking? Oh and nice pose, it just looks like she's sitting there with her hands folder. Pfft, real classy. :rolleyes:

I can hear it now: "Her face is totaly off to and she has one sdie biger than the other and its like manga only notas good as japaneese Im an OTAKU so I kniow what I',m doing and I'm even better than this cause I can fail on my own"

ANIME

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

the kawaiiest posted:

It's not uncommon for women with severe self-esteem problems to get involved with abusive/crazy men. There are several reasons for this but one of them is that they have very little, if any, sense of self-worth and feel that they need someone to "put them in their place".

That's not as common as the next part.

quote:

It's not about her taking pleasure in the relationship -- she's just glad he's willing to put up with her. In her head, she's a worthless piece of poo poo and he's a saint for even giving her the time of day, and she would be crazy to disagree with him.

Not saying that she doesn't have other issues, she might, but low self-esteem most certainly has something to do with it.

That's it in the proverbial nutshell. She thinks she's worthless, he'll tolerate her presence, and that makes him a god among men.

Funny thing is, if you talk to someone like her she'll sound condescending and superior to everyone around you. She might bring up how edumacated she is. She'll try to make you feel lousy, to build herself up. There's a lot of women like this, and if they are very lucky they find someone who genuinely cares for them and wants to help. If not, well, I'll bet Deboss is single.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Lonk posted:

Alice forced Pat to sleep on the floor when he was visiting after making Pat watch while she gave that drug dealer guy a hand job and sleeping with him afterward. She later pissed on Pat's little sister's favorite blanket which happened to be in Pat's car at the time, simply to spite him.

Holy poo poo. This beings back ugly memories.

Bill had a girlfriend he was trying to rescue, which basically meant she was a cheap hooker. He found her while walking his dog in a vacant lot. She had a little camping tent set up in the brush, where she would 'work' for Pepsi & cigarettes. Bill, bless his heart, thought she was worth saving, so he brought her over to see Liz.

They discovered that first night that Missy wasn't housebroken. She literally did not know how to use a modern toilet, TP, sink or soap. If she had to go she did so right where she was sitting. Clean up? Why? It's not going to hurt anyone!

Missy was in her 20s, born and raised in California, yet never used an actual bathroom because 'it wasn't natural'. Yes--she was really a fox, and foxes, you see, neither live in houses nor use toilets. She had a set of fox ears she wore when she was in her tent or walking along the road.

She fit right in; that group had an eagle, a bear, a wolf (Bill) and of course Liz and Cat.

Cat and Liz decided to train her, and they more or less succeeded. After all, she only pissed on one chair at my house. We threw it out.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Antivehicular posted:

What? How does this happen? "Not give a poo poo where she excretes" I can almost understand, on the hosed-up-human-being level, but... literally not know? Are you sure she wasn't raised by wolves?

Wolves have a social system and manners. Missy had neither.

She ran away from home when she was very young, or so she said. I don't think she could read. In any event, she neither knew nor cared about the most basic hygiene. Cat and Liz sort of succeeded with her, probably because they were cats and not people, whom she hated.

I never met anyone from her family (unlike Bill, who had a wonderful family), so I have no idea what happened or when. I do know that there are some people who are just plain feral. I have a distant cousin who would rather live in a vacant lot under a shelter made of pallets and tarps, eating out of dumpsters, than with her family because they have too many 'rules'. You know, like not having sex in the front yard, unreasonable things like that. You can't help them; all you can do is watch the disaster from a nice, safe distance.

The last time I saw Missy she was panhandling outside a Dairy Queen, filthy fox ears in place. I kept going.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Nessa posted:

I...don't understand. And I don't think I want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Colon V posted:

I'm probably a little late for the discussion on muses, but as a writer (or, more accurately, a roleplayer :v:), I've always found it useful to... 'reconstruct' characters in my head, perhaps create a scenario, and let my imagination go. It's a useful way of overcoming writer's block, and mostly harmless.

I'm now worried if I ever talk about it, I'll be confused with these people.

The phenomenon is called 'living characters'. When you are writing, your characters will 'come alive' and take over, essentially doing the heavy lifting for you. They write their own dialog, have their own, distinctive voices, and very much know what they want to do.

A good example of a living character is Sherlock Holmes. Doyle reached the point where he actively hated Holmes for being hard to control. Tolkien eventually came to hate Frodo for being too passive. Forester squashed characters who came to life, because he would not relinquish control.

So no, you are not crazy; the characters are just doing what they should be doing.

• Locked thread