Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
:stare:

Holy crap. Are you sure this girl has no relation to the FF7 house? Surely there can't be that many crazy people in the world! Surely ...

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Peztopiary posted:

You know what's really interesting? This phenomena, this thing that people did (do?) where they are married to anime/videogame folks? That is a new thing. Probably a new thing that doesn't have a bunch of literature attached to it. Soulbonding, otherkin, all of that, it is a completely new thing. Nobody ever thought they were people from Titus Andronicus, Charlie Chaplin films, not even 80's stuff like G.I. Joe. This otherkin thing is 90's on up. What changed in the 90's that did this to people, that's the question I think is interesting.

The internet.

Seriously, teenagers have always come up with cocked-up ideas of original characters or imagining themselves as special somehow, it's as routine as little kids having imaginary friends. But nobody started telling them that they were their original characters and fiction existed in an alternate astral universe where they'd been reincarnated from (or whatever) until the internet came along.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Elite Einherjar posted:

Ignore the Spergers, OP. I like your style of writing and the pictures are hilarious.

Aside from honestly believing in an imaginary friend that you borrowed from a TV show, I've always been irked by the ones these crazies pick. I've seen Sephiroth a lot, I've seen Heero Yuy before. I've read about Heath Ledger's Joker and Rorschach. It's always creeped me out that these girls seem to gravitate towards bad guy/sociopathic personalities as their one true love. I don't get the appeal. Does it have something to do with being the only person an evil dude cares for and thus being extra super special?

Did Denise assign anime characters to your love life like the Hojo chick did? Or were you just the quirky, chaste, supporting best friend to her life drama?

I've mentioned this in the Fandom Secrets thread that spawned this one, but there's a few factors at work here.

One factor is "all he needs is somebody who understands." This gets applied to villains and the more sociopathic personalities. The most readily available example is Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter books and how fans perceive him. They often attribute imaginary wrongs to these people so that their behavior is justified -- Sephiroth was abused by Hojo, Draco had parents who never cared about him, etc. -- and then imagine that because they, with their high school problems, can totally understand the depth of the character's anguish, they're perfect together. Erik from Phantom of the Opera is also a great example because he has existing explanation for why he's crazy -- he's so sinfully ugly that no one can stand to look at him with his mask off, but fans go "well, I could! And I understand his pain!"

There's also a little bit of the special snowflake stuff going on.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah Man posted:

I dunno, it seems to me that even if you strip away her mental delusions and general insanity, Denise just seems like a selfish bitch who has to have the entire world revolve around her. Special sparkly animu guys follow her around because they're in love with her. She's a moon princess that can't allow anyone other than one or two friends into her little clique because that would "contaminate" her. She uses her friend's birthday party to get more attention towards herself. Honestly, I don't know what uglynoodles saw in Denise worth being friends with, much less within a 100 mile radius of her.

When you're a teenager you make a lot of dumb decisions. Who your friends are is one of these decisions. I didn't have any crazy moon princess girls as friends, but I sure had some lovely ones who had the same problems with always needing to be the center of attention.

I mean come on, uglynoodles was 13, 13-year-olds are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Really, I think that same multiverses thing is used by a lot of fantasy/sci-fi authors because it's a really easy concept to come up with. I've seen it before in a few different permutations, some of which are fairly recent pieces of media. It's probably an idea that she picked up from something and reused, but I'm sure it's been used a lot by a lot of things. Including by other teenage girls. I had friends who used to say stuff like "wouldn't it be funny if the universe was like this?" But none of us were crazy enough to believe it, so it was laughed off as a funny idea.

EDIT:

afterhours posted:

My friend and I have been reading through this thread and my friend pointed out that on a profile or something Sephiroth is suppose to be like 50 years old. Right? Mmmsexy. The senior citizen of my young girl girdled loin dreams.

This is actually Vincent who is loved nearly as much and in game math is something like 67. (BUT HE LOOKS 20 SO IT'S TOTALLY OKAY)

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 22, 2011

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

uglynoodles posted:

SEX AND GENDER

Oh. Oh, wow. Wow, this is really, really messed up.

I had some weird friends -- a little crazy, but none this crazy, and none who attempted to make out with me under the premise of being "possessed." Holy gently caress. This is seriously, seriously messed up. Denise is seriously messed up.

:stare:

My weird friend occasionally went through sexuality phases too where she declared herself bi or lesbian depending on what was the most popular. She never had any trans or genderqueer phases, but it was easy to tell she wasn't actually bi or lesbian, she was just doing it for attention. She never made out with me because I was still really convinced at the time that I was straight, but I always feel bad for the girl that she led on in a "relationship" until a boy who was interested in her came along.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Finisher1 posted:

What I'm wondering is why is it always Japan? You don't see many people coming to the United States because they base their entire lives around western comic books and the Cartoon Network and assume that they will be universally loved and accepted because of that.

Eh, you get a little of it for the UK, especially ever since Harry Potter got really big. You'll occasionally have the kids who romanticize the UK and dream of going there and inject random British English-isms into their American English speech (snogging, arse, etc.). They want to go to the UK based on their love of Harry Potter and Doctor Who.

I don't think you get as much of it as you do Japan, but it's still there a little bit.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Wandering Knitter posted:

Exactly. I've known people who can roleplay both genders perfectly fine. It's pretty much a needed skill if you ever want to run a game. Hell, I've had my share of male characters for the sake of trying something new.

I'm talking about the guy who, when he found out he couldn't play a female humanoid dragon instead rolled up a large chested elven princess with a pet tiny gold dragon. No armor of course, that'd just get in the way of his breasts.

It's actually kind of funny to watch some of this, especially online where guys are trying to pretend they're girls so they'll get less criticism on the female characters they write/RP/play in MMOs/etc. Guys, we can tell. Seriously. We can really tell. For one thing, no real life woman spends that much time talking about her boobs.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

uglynoodles posted:

Denise refused, electing to sulk instead as evidently she figured that would be much more productive, and to my knowledge did not post the letter.

All I can picture is Denise doing her very best to imitate Gob from Arrested Development by dramatically throwing the letter into the sea. I'm sorry. It's just the first thing that pops into my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Thuryl posted:

There seems to be a lot of sublimated sexuality going on with crazy soulbonder types in general. Look at this TVTropes thread by DarkLadyCelebrian, who I'm pretty sure has been mentioned before in this thread, describing what soulbonding feels like.

She seems to identify as asexual, but try and tell me there's nothing sexual about this:

Or this:

DarkLadyCelebrian's bizarre need to "get" characters so she can "fix" them is ridiculous. "I'm gonna get Morrigan and then I'm going to deal with her because I know how to deal with bitches." Really?

But you're right about the sublimated sexuality stuff. That said, I too find it more sad than anything else that Denise didn't know how to masturbate, and what other people have said about it is true -- it's depressingly common. And it's almost definitely that she was making up her rape fantasies and stuff to try and deal with it. It's still really messed up that she dealt with it in that way, but it's also really sad.

• Locked thread