Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
:suspense:
There are no words. Can't wait for more; stories and drawings both; they fit together perfectly. I suppose it's meaningless at this point but I may as well cast my vote for chronological order as well, the descent into madness has its appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

The Worst Unicorn posted:

What if he were not an anime.

What I would pay to see the look on Denise's face were she to see this!

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Absolute Lithops posted:

So it kind of makes sense that this would show up in other cultures, too. Except it sounds like it's done a lot more consciously in Japan.

I'm sure Uglynoodles will confirm/deny this for me when she comes back since she's said she has a working grasp of the language but I believe that Japanese is one of many languages that actually use intonation to change what you mean, so it would stand to reason that someone who's trying to "pour it on" so to speak, would get all squeaky.

The cultural obession thing is by no means unique to the US. Hell, so many Japanese people visiting Paris have nervous breakdowns when they discover that it's just another big city and not at all like what they see on TV that there is a documented psychiatric disorder called "Paris Syndrome". It does happen to people other than Japanese, and even for other cities/countries.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Clockroach posted:

When you talk about anime, you have to remember you're not really talking about a genre, but large section of an entire country's entertainment industry. Most western assume that cartoons=children, (except Belgium, maybe France?) but the Japanese found it was a pretty cost effective way for them to produce their own movies and television shows. So there's lots of target audiences all over the board.
This. The anime I find entertaining is telling me the same type of stories I enjoy in my books, my movies, and my video games. They aren't intrinsically better or worse because a Japanese drew them or wrote them, that just makes them Japanese, which, I guess, is enough on its own for some people.

Someone mentioned the Humper Monkey stories; I was under the impression that those were fabrications; they certainly made my bullshit meter jump a bit more than the usual. Are they generally held to be true?

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

RalAegidius posted:

My personal belief is that this social construct is partially responsible for the attraction many young women have to pseudo-occult practices such as ritual sex (as far as I know there are no legitimate religions or esoteric practices that make use of this), where sex is made sacred, or actual naturist religions where nudity during ritual is considered a sign of respect (but is not sexual at all). Problem is, for the latter, you need to already be well-grounded in who you are as a sexual being.

There are a few religions that do the ritual sex thing; there's a big problem in India with the women who do it end up getting VD and then spreading it (or at least there was a few years ago when the BBC did a piece on it). Otherwise what you said is a pretty fair analysis.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

:words:

Seeing as I have an otherwise useless Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, I can say with authority that it is staggeringly rare for amnesia cases to present in the fashion we see them in film, on TV, and in the case of Henriette. It does happen, but it's very rare. Someone might lose some specific memories of arbitrary things, or more commonly (as in the case of the trauma-induced amnesia Henriette was trying to fake) lose memory of events immediately following the trauma. "Who am I? Where Am I? Who are all these people?" amnesia, as near as makes no difference, doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Oh god I don't know if I can live in a world where I know this exists. Why did I look?

That's not disgusting, it's hysterical. I may be a poor judge of this since back when goatse.cx was a thing when I actually steeled myself and visited the site my reaction was basically "Huh, is that what all the fuss is about? Just some random dude's clean, healthy, (albeit very stretchy) bunghole? The average page in a textbook showing the presentation of venereal diseases is worse than that!" I'm sure there are truly disquieting images of the Muppets characters out there, but that ain't it.

• Locked thread