Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I know a guy who seriously believes the following:
  • His sister was a lesbian stripper ninja who had previously been a lover to Jessica Alba
  • This sister had canines down to her chin as she was part-cat and worked as a body guard to celebrities
  • Apparently they could telepathically communicate with each other too
  • He claimed him and his friends took over a Navy SEAL base using only riot equipment
  • He had apparently done 20 years of martial arts training (except he never told me which Dojo he trained at, his story of which martial arts he did changed every now and again and he told me he'd attained a black belt at the age of 14 in Judo but couldn't name one move and my understanding of Judo is that to get a black belt you normally have to be over the age of 18)
  • Various lies about his training and education - he seemed to have this weird obsession with the military/police force and martial arts despite being a short fat guy with a ponytail and no personal hygiene. He'd make up stuff about apparently having an uncle who taught him how to disarm armed assailants, but considering all the other stuff he's said I'm not really inclined to believe him.
  • Stuff about 'anime isn't cartoons' and how anime is a superior form of animation
  • He legally had his name changed from [Regular Average Joe name] to [Special Snowflake Anime Name] allegedly to "get away from his abusive father", completely ignoring the logic of if you want to escape somebody you should probably change your name to another [Regular Average Joe name] considering his [Special Snowflake Anime Name] was apparently known to his abusive dad.
  • None of this stuff would have been too bad if he was twelve years old, but I heard most of this when he was about 24 (and should probably know that people don't like it when you constantly bullshit to them to a point where they don't know whether you're serious or not anymore) and I was about 17.
  • Pretty sure there was some stuff about 'hearing his ancestors speaking to him' and 'hearing great martial artists speaking to him' telepathically as well.
  • Katana obsession (need I say more?)

He's now engaged to a friend of mine (they've been dating since she was 16 and he was 23/24 :gonk: and for reference we're both 21 now) so I still have to deal with him as I'm bridesmaid at the wedding. :sigh:

Before anyone asks, yes I did voice my concerns to my friend, but all she can see is "look! A guy is INTERESTED in ME!" :swoon: and promptly ignores the constant dumb lies and various other things that indicate he's a shady character. My reasoning is that if she ever comes to her senses (or even if she doesn't) she's going to need all the friends she can get - dating a loser doesn't mean she herself is a bad person or a bad friend.

froglet fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well, that sounds like actual Munchausen Syndrome.

e: froglet, did he also go to Libya to fight in the revolution?

Is it bad that I knew who you were referring to when you said Libya?

But no, the guy isn't Caro.
Edit: I don't think I can really convey in words how flakey this guy was. There was just no substance or drive to him, I doubt he could even go to TAFE and get a qualification because he'd be too busy talking about how great he is. He is like a cardboard cutout "bogan" stereotype except with a massive hardon for Glorious Nippon and tabletop RPGs.
Caro, on the other hand went to loving Libya to fight in a revolution. :stare:

froglet fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 1, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It got lost in the whole Canada/America talk, but are Uglynoodles/mods/thread comfortable with me continuing stories of the India-obsessed girl in here? Interest doesn't seem to be significant enough to start a new thread, but I can do that if you all prefer me to.

Not sure about everyone else in the thread, but I want to hear all about Henriette (it makes me feel better that there's people worse than my friends fiance out there).

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Corbid Muriosity posted:

This reminds me, my best friends middle name is Lucifer. Yep. His mom is pretty nuts though, obviously. He is a very normal person though.

Which reminds me. The Special Snowflake who I mentioned earlier in this thread is marrying my friend (Sophie). I was talking to Sophie the other day and she said that once she gets married to Snowflake she wants to have children. Apparently if they have a daughter they want to name her after a character from Stargate. And no, they don't want to name their daughter Amanda. They want to name her Sha're, which Wikipedia tells me is the name for Daniel Jackson's wife in the Stargate film.

:stare:

I didn't voice my concern that the name "Sha're [Anime Surname]" might cause her daughter problems because people often make judgements about a persons ability based upon the stereotypes associated with certain types of name, but maybe I should.

froglet fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 4, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Vicas posted:

I find it kind of hard to fathom that there are that many people who would consider saddling their child with an obscure name from something they're a fan of. Like I'm sure a lot of people are kidding/not seriously considering having a kid but then you get the ones considering naming these kids these things while the couple is pregnant.

poo poo, if you really have to be a nerd name your kid Harry and tell them you named them after a wizard. Then wait until they're like 14 to explain it was Harry Dresden.

You have to remember that the types of people who think Astral-Skye-Moondance Smith is a great name for a child also think of a child as an extension of themselves with which they can make a statement by, not as somebody who has to grow up and ultimately live in a society whereby deviations like 'unique' names mark them as being 'strange'.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Another "weird anime person" story for the pile.
Note: I was not present for any of these events, this is just what a few people present told me and considering they all told me it independantly of each other, I'm inclined to believe it.

At a local anime club there was a lady who had her name legally changed by deed poll to the name of Harry's mum in the Harry Potter series. She named her son Severus. :stare:

She also accused some of the club members of raping her while she was passed out drunk (despite some of them having airtight alibis). I won't go into too much detail, but the police concluded no rape had occurred, then Lily took the accused to civil court where the judge promptly threw the case out.

I believe she got banned from the club soon after that, but not before a few members had horror stories about her and her son couchsurfing with them because she doesn't have her own house. I feel really sorry for that kid. :smith:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Milky Boy posted:

Do they happen to be Australian?

Funny enough, yes. :stare:

I think the weirdest thing is that she's not the first person I've heard of changing her name to Lily and naming her son Severus. :catstare:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Mongoose Face posted:

Holy hell. Lily is one of my friends on facebook and she nearly killed a very good friend of mine by making her ride an unbroken and abused horse.

I also like the story where she apparently got accepted into a university fashion design course, but quit because she was 'so advanced it was boring.' In reality, the teacher saw one of her cosplays, asked the hell how it was even held together and she quit from shame.

:stare:

I did not hear either of those stories - so of course now you're going to have to elaborate! :) (Though it's entirely possible we're talking about separate trainwrecks who both happen to be called Lily - are you in WA?)

Man, I thought my friends were unfairly villainising her and making her out to be far worse than she actually is, but now I'm not so sure.

froglet fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 17, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

TombsGrave posted:

At least you can pass off Serra as "Sarah, but my parents wanted to spell it weird."

People with unusually spelled "traditional" names tend to go either one of two ways.
  1. They rebel from their parents and rename themselves 'Sarah' or 'Jackson' rather than 'Serra' and 'Jaxxon'
  2. They get disproportionately upset every single time somebody spells or says their name incorrectly.
Unfortunately it tends to be the latter.

For those of you lucky enough to wonder if people like Denise really are out there and seriously believe 'I am married to a cartoon character' is a deviantart user whose username is, ironically enough, Dolphy. From what I gather she's from Germany and is in love with the character Jim Hawkins from the Disney film Treasure Planet. She has an entire fanart gallery of Jim Hawkins and her together.

I feel a little sorry for her, to be honest, because it appears to be evidence of deeper emotional problems. Though I believe she has admitted at some point that she prefers the fantasy of her and Jim because she doesn't want to get hurt out in the real world. :smith:

An example of this is "Not real..." by Dolphy:

Though I think there is a difference between her and Denise in that Denise has no self awareness and is too self centred/attention seeking to admit she made it all up, while Dolphy appears to at least acknowledge she's just drawing her fantasies and acting like it's real because she's lonely.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

Would making weeaboos watch those kinds of programs cause them to realize that's how they come across to people, and that they should clean up their act? Or would it just cause them to go into denial and/or ignore it?

I would imagine it's the same as creeps who watch To Catch A Predator yet still try to pick up underage girls on the internet. They don't have the self awareness to realise that they behave exactly like the people on the TV, or if they do, they think they're a ~*special unique snowflake*~ to whom social rules or laws don't apply.

froglet fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 19, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

A little while ago I mentioned a guy who changed his name from Something Perfectly Normal to Special Snowflake Anime Name.

I spoke to him the other day while visiting my friend. One thing that occurred to me - he seriously believes all the stupid crap he says. While he doesn't go out and say 'animes are real!', he skates pretty drat close to it. Previously I thought he just made this poo poo up because he's a compulsive liar.
Honestly I think the whole 'my twin sister is a stripper ninja with whom I can telepathically communicate' and 'my mum is a diplomat and died in a car crash last year because she was a target of terrorists' is a coping mechanism. He had lived in foster care between the ages of 5 and 18, so I guess he started making this stuff up to make himself feel better. That, and so he didn't have to deal with the unpleasant reality that his parents couldn't look after him properly.

I would feel sorry for him, but he's nearly 30 and obviously doesn't see the problem with seriously believing this stuff and refusing to realise it's all a fantasy designed to make him feel special.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 8, 2012

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

An update on my friend who was marrying a man who had a (probably imaginary) sister who was a 'lesbian stripper ninja':
The scales seem to have fallen from her eyes because she broke up with him then kicked him out of their house. It turns out for all he talks about his military/private security experience, he hasn't held a job in five years.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

Didn't something like that happen once before in this thread? Two goons realized they knew the same crazy?

In the case you might be thinking about it was more "these were the stories cobbled together from the social group that knew this woman", because she sounded a lot like Denise except a few years ahead. Then somebody showed up to corroborate a lot of it and more!

To be fair, in some nerd communities if you show up to events and things even casually you'll become acquainted with the organizers and regular attendees, and oddballs like Denise and Jordan stick out like a sore thumb. Perhaps its not as common in the US, particularly in the large cities, but here in Australia it is definitely a thing.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Holy poo poo. I can't believe she went that far. What is wrong with people?

Also - how do people find the time to do stuff like this? Don't people have better things to do with their time than nuture their unfounded hatred?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

fishmech posted:

I just wanted to say that I remember the old old time of SA of 2000-2001 and when people were looking up otherkin stuff then to make fun of, it was literally all vampires and fairies and elves. For some reason there was nobody calling themselves otherkin who was calling themselves any kind of animal with the one exception of dragons - the otherkin communities would yell at the animal people for being furries and kick them out.

I just think that's funny, since apparently everyone who's an otherkin now is some sort of animal and I guess the vampire and elf dudes just hosed off to some other name.

I remember around the same time there were people who called themselves 'lightwalkers' or 'darkwalkers'. They seriously believe they were agents of good or evil and they must do everything in their power to further their cause. Bizarre. Looking it up now, all I see is bad fantasy fiction and some stuff about video games.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Not to give away too much information, I have a 9 year old student who is really, sometimes violently, insistent that TV characters are her real-life family members, or otherwise connected to her in real life somehow. She'll act as though they are present in the room at wildly inappropriate moments, as well as interrupt people to tell elaborate stories about what she and her imaginary friends did.

I'm pretty concerned that she's going to end up like the people in this thread. What, if anything, can I do to gently guide her away from that fate?

Right now, I (and it turns out other teachers with whom I hadn't talked about this prior) have just been telling her that I don't want to hear about it right now, but if she wants to write about it, I'll gladly read it. I've also been contradicting her when she makes statements about her personal life that I know for sure are patently false.

What's her home life like? This reminds me of the Tracey Beaker books where the main character pretends her mum is actually a famous actress shooting on location, because its far better to think that than dealing with the unpleasant reality that your mum is self-absorbed and dumped you into foster care because being a mum was inconvenient.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

value-brand cereal posted:

Considering how much pedophilia and incest and abusive relationships portrayed as normal/healthy, I'd vote for keeping young kids away from fanfics until they're much older. You really don't want pedos grooming them, or them developing bad ideas about how any kind of relationship works, romantic, platonic, sexual and otherwise.

See also: that undertale Anna pedo using rp and fiction to groom and abuse minors in this very thread! Hell, this whole thread!

When you think about it, a lot of fantasy fiction has some really unhealthy relationship dynamics that are portrayed as acceptable, if not perfectly normal. I imagine there are loads of kids out there that take on books that might be at their reading level, but are certainly a not at their emotional level and getting some really messed up ideas.

Some examples off the top of my head:

Harry Potter - wtf is Hermione doing with Ron? Ron is lazy, jealous and petty and she herself admits he has the 'emotional range of a teaspoon'.
Wheel of Time series - Rand has like 3 love interests and while he has some cursory angst about it he decides to keep them all and all three of them are cool with this because well, he is the Dragon Reborn!
Game of Thrones - almost noone in those books has anything approximating a normal relationship with their friends, family or spouses.
Wildmage series by Tamora Pierce - in the final book of the series, the main character shacks up with her mentor, who she met when she was 13 and in the final book she's like 16 or 17.

I think if these weren't fantasy novels, people would be going 'ewwwwww' or 'what? What?! That makes no sense!'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Oh god, I'd forgotten about that.

• Locked thread