Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Love this thread.

I have a story for this thread. It's a bit surreal and a bit depressing. I'd like to note that, yes, I'm also kind of crazy.

I once belonged to a yoshi forum. That's right, I belonged to a forum about the dinosaur guy from Mario. I used to be all about it when I was 14. I met some interesting characters there, like the guy who had a fetish for being made into a sandwich. I stopped going for a few years, then decided to return out of boredom in the summer when I was 18. There I met a new member named Jahn. It turned out we had a lot in common and we hit it off instantly. He was there to troll the yoshi community, and I thought that was just wild. I introduced him to my friends (via the internet), including my ex, Eric. Eventually, after about two weeks, he started talking about meeting up. That raised a few red flags to me, but I rolled with it, desperate to hang out with someone. So he greyhound bussed his way over to my house. My dad and I went to pick him up. Instantly, I could tell something was off about the guy. My dad could too I guess, because later after we got back to my house he'd ask me if I was disappointed. He got to my house, and from there a few interesting things happened.

My little sisters and cousin were there hanging out for the summer holiday. My little sister came up to me and basically shanked me with a stick. While I was laying there in pain, Jahn attempted to get my sister to shank him. He really begged her. My sister would not comply.

We wandered off to hang out alone together, and as soon as we did he gives me a gift and asked me if I saw us having a future together. I politely told him that I saw him as a great friend but didn't see him like that. He started crying and called his mother. So he goes outside and starts sobbing to his mother, which my mother noticed.

My mother is crazy, and I know it. I didn't know it at the time of this story, however. So when she yelled at me and told me I was a disgraceful, terrible, evil person for rejecting such a CuUuUtE boy who came all the way from another state to see me, I cried a lot and believed it. After calming down, I went and told Jahn I was giving him a second chance, per my mother's orders.

I called my friend Andy and told him the situation, how I was uncomfortable around Jahn and really needed someone. Andy came and picked us up and we actually had a decent time for a while. We got Pizza Hut, I basically cold shouldered Jahn (which was a dick move on my part), we play around in the Rutherford B. Hayes official park, and then go to my friend Andy's house.

Jahn would drop a condom casually in front of me and try to gauge my reaction. My friend Andy cracked up, ruining Jahn's clever innuendo.

I ended up sleeping next to Jahn, and he begged me to kiss him. I kept telling him I wasn't comfortable with that, but he eventually wore me down and I quickly kissed him.

Sometime during the evening, I guess my tonsil exploded because I could taste blood in the back of my mouth and had a spontaneous rager of a sore throat. I was not having a good time.

Jahn took pictures of literally everything. Barns. Corn fields. Another barn and cornfield. Soybean field. My pizza. There was one picture of a human being for every ten pictures of cornfields.

We drove back to my place. I left Andy and Jahn alone for a second to talk to my parents. Jahn starts playing his piano compositions for Andy. I tell my mom and dad that I really don't feel comfortable around Jahn. My mother explodes, tells me once again how terrible of a human being I am and a whole bunch of other stuff. It was literally fifteen minutes of just pure hatred directed at me. It deeply upset me.

Meanwhile, Jahn and Andy are listening to piano music in my living room.

I make a scene and run out to the garage, where I loudly threaten to commit suicide.

My dad has to talk me down from hanging myself.

I return after calming down to find Andy and Jahn still listening to piano music. They had no idea anything just happened.

Not much else happened after that. We ate at Wendy's. Andy left after that. I showed Jahn my room and while we were up there he wouldn't let me leave my room until I kissed him again. I made up a bunch of excuses, told him I was uncomfortable, but nothing got through to him. I eventually kissed him to get out of my room. Not long after that, he got back on the bus and left. He was literally on a bus for longer than he was at my house.

I didn't talk to Jahn much after that. He went on to date my ex Eric, transition to female, and become a hipster. I hear she's (now named Foebe) doing well now. Her version of this visit is hilarious, she always says that she met all of my friends and that they were really seedy. Wish I could remember more details from her version of the story.

Fluorescent fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
Wow, I'm surprised by the responses. I always thought I was the one that looked bad and crazy from the story. :v: I no longer have regular contact with my mother, we talk very infrequently ever since I called her out on a lot of stuff that she did to me growing up. :toot: Thanks for the concern. I really appreciate it. I'm doing really well now. I feel validated seeing that my mother, in the whole couple sentences she appears, comes across as horrible. I always second guess myself and tell myself "it wasn't really that bad."

@Corridor: I think you're right, because Jahn was trying to go home after I turned his offer to be my boyfriend down.

Sorry for posting a :smith: story.

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
I think a lot of it is interrelated. Environment can massively impact someone health-wise; growing up in a traumatizing environment, for instance, really ups your chance of developing a wide array of chronic illnesses. Growing up in a traumatizing environment or in an environment that otherwise isn't supportive can impair the development of appropriate social skills. It's also a lot easier to interact on the internet if you have a disabling illness; going out and meeting people can be a huge energy drain for someone with a chronic illness. In all my years as an internet person ( :corsair: ), I believe I saw a correlation between the people that were rather, ah, extreme and childhood trauma. It wasn't always there, but I saw/heard about it enough to notice a pattern. It's just sad. I don't understand what prompts some people to break out of their destructive habits when they grow up while others don't.

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
Hey, I have a hosed up story I randomly realized the horror of. Names vaguely changed.

So when I was 12 (about 13 years ago now), I joined this Digimon forum. It was.. okay, as far as forums go. The website for it had odd pages that had been taken down that said things like "DON'T ASK ABOUT DIGITALKATIE!" and the admin ran a separate site where he published his awful fanfic role plays with another member.

So I join, all is good. I get involved with the other members of the board that are my age, and I ignore the admin who was named Ken for the most part - I had a blind hatred of him for no reason, though in hindsight I think that was because I subconsciously picked up on his creepiness (I grew up around a lot of pedophiles; this Ken tried to be nicey-nice to me at first and it triggered what I thought at the time was an irrational outburst of anger where I was almost banned.)

At this point, we all think of Ken, the admin, as an 18 year old man who for some reason loves doing sexual role plays (often about Final Fantasy) with this group of girls, who were my age at the time (12ish.) He started sexually role playing with them about three years before I joined the forum, so when they were around ~10. So that's gross. He begins dating one of my friends on the board, which entailed to a lot of sexting and my friend sending him naked pictures. They flirt all over the board, but he's like a huge dick to her constantly - telling her that her fanfics are stupid, when she shows him a link he's like "I'm not reading this just give me a summary," you know, just generically being an rear end. I'm not sure what was being said privately, but apparently it was quite brutal and led to my friend leaving the forum and not returning (we met up on the 'net later on.) He kind of made crappy comments to everyone and was sort of instigating fights (which is easy to do when you're the only adult on a board of entirely preteens.)

Anyway, we all hate Ken at this point even though we are unaware of the significance of the pedophilia in our naive youth. He ends up leaving and making someone else an admin.

Fast forward a few months later. That underage girl he wrote a bunch of sexy stories and roleplays with came back and doxxed the poo poo out of the guy. It turned out Ken was a Quebecois woman in her mid-twenties or so (I do sometimes wonder if this was a cover identity though,) who has a daughter, who has multiple profiles in multiple fandoms where she picks up underage girls. It turns out Digitalkatie was their old alias that wasn't useable anymore because people realized she was a pedophile and tried to oust her from the Digimon community. The idea that she's still out there doing this kind of haunts me, I'll be honest. People might not think making young kids sexually role play is sexual abuse, but it happened to me (elsewhere) and it was traumatizing for me. And I say this as a person who spent half their life being trafficked. Online sexual abuse is a real trauma. (Just adding this because some people I told this story to were like who cares, it's not like they met in real life.)

Aside from the pedophilia, there was some "hacker" guy who kept getting Ken's boards deleted with random TOS violations. I think one was because they had a foreign language forum; don't remember why Invision deleted the second board, but if I had to guess it might have had to do with the pedophilia. Ken made us all hate this hacker and we kind of were bonded together in our struggle against this guy, but in retrospect I wonder if he was trying to protect the vulnerable underage members.

There was also another pedophile in the Digimon community that was obsessed with Patamon and used to run a Patomon/Gatomon Kari/TK sex hell of a forum, which emphasized the underage nature of the characters from the show Digimon. Most exciting story I knew from him personally was him getting banned from a different Digimon forum's chat for trying to pick up a 12 year old member.

Fluorescent fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 12, 2016

• Locked thread