Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Chronological order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Sir Prancelot posted:

Would this place be at all appropriate for sharing tales of my college anime club and how it went irreparably insane over the course of a single semester? It went from being a very laid back club for generic nerd interests to a coven of crazed 18 year old girls who believed they were a wolf pack in less than two months. It's got stalkers and monsters and all kinds of madness.

I'd be interested in reading about this, definitely. Whether it's here, or if it gets its own thread, we must hear about the crazypants people taking over.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Redeadagain posted:

The whole multiple worlds thing sounds somewhat like that one soulbonder person...darkladycelebrian or something?

It does.

(Note: TV Tropes no longer allows links from SA to go through; you'll have to copy and paste the url in a different tab.)

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Question. What, in this many-worlds schema, makes our world so special that it is our fiction and our belief that creates all other worlds, rather than one of the other worlds creating ours, or mutual creation or whatever?

Asking questions like that doesn't get any coherent answers, it just makes them more and more agitated until Lightning or Yuna or Samus comes to calm them down and remind them that they're a good person who's perfectly okay exactly the way they are, and how everyone else is just a jealous hater.

And then they go on about the new FFXIII screenshots or whatever and how it's going to be the best thing since penicillin, and how Square Enix should keep making those games until the heat death of the universe.

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 22, 2011

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Clockroach posted:

I'm the same age as the OP, and this is what led my high-school boyfriend to start believing that Digimon were real. It didn't help that his mom was very strongly Wiccan, and liked to reinforce everything that would rationalize something like this being possible. It wasn't a romantic thing (well, I hope not) It was still a "I am their hero" bit.

More recently, I got to go to an academic lecture about fandom. The conference was about Communication Studies, and the lecturer had spent gotten his PhD (I think) studying how music fans have acted throughout the years, starting way back in the gay nineties with opera singers. At first the music itself was causing wild reactions, and diaries of the "fanatics" ended up talking more about the singers personal lives ("I bet we'd be friends!") rather than ability. The literature academics in the audience said the same happened with several classic authours, and then, yes, people started admitting to liking the characters more.

Walking out of the lecture, my now boyfriend tells me it rang some bells because he's taking a class about Christian mysticism- basically, people who have done this with saintly or biblical figures. Saint Teresa of Ávila comes to mind.

It's all over, it's everywhere, and it seems like a good psychologist could spend some time on it.

I'd be interested in reading more about this. Does anybody know of any books, or documentaries, or what have you on the subject?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Hammer Backspace posted:

Not in my case! In my case the weird friend was made by my brothers. Believed she was a vampire despite being 300 pounds easy, reacted violently to... basically everything. Thank God that any time I asked her about what Frankenstein's Monster was up to these days or about the ongoing vampire war with the werewolves, she thought I was being serious.

But then my cool normal friends spent an inordinate amount of time talking behind each others back and forming petty grudges over nothing and doing stupid poo poo they regretted later and basically being massive loving headaches, while my brothers' weird friends have also included an aspiring stage magician, various martial arts geniuses and a six foot six actor/breakdancer. So I guess I'm the idiot here.

Hmm... come to think of it, there aren't that many fat vampires in fiction. Possibly because it would get in the way of all the wish fulfillment fantasies?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

You just justified my liberal arts education, then.

And yeah, noodles, keep this fun-tastic train a-comin'. Much appreciated.

For those who feel such regret for these people, just remember that you can't help someone who doesn't need it. I quit trying to solve all the world's problems one person at a time a long while back, and I'm better for it.

I thought that it was "you can't help someone who doesn't want it", not "need"?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

WebDog posted:

It's clear that Denise's fantasies are her projections of what she wishes her life was, easily fulfilled and exciting with direct and logical meaning as she views everyone else life as being so.

It has to be this, it's the only way that any of this makes sense.

I've been trying to figure out just why Denise, and DLC, and others just like them would do this. It seems like they take the emotional response garnered by music and anime a lot farther than normal people do, right into crazy town. For example, the story of Denise dancing along to Castle In The Sky; it's like there's a chain, going from "This song talks about castles in the sky", to "Castles in the sky are meant to look cool", to "Having a castle in the sky would be awesome, even if it is flatly impossible", to "I want to have a castle in the sky", and finally to "I actually have a castle in the sky".

How do you make that leap? Is this what schizotypy is? I can't tell, since the wikipedia page on it is kind of hard for me to understand.

Stew Man Chew posted:

You think there's a logical reason for animu-things?

After a while it's tautological. Anime is anime.

:catdrugs:

The reason for animu-things is to sell merchandise to children. And to people with the emotional capacity of children.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Pancakes McGee posted:

Hetalia? That's bad enough, but god help us all if she gets into Homestuck. That poo poo is crazy.

Don't jinx it, don't jinx it, don't jinx it... :ohdear:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Spitball Trough posted:

This this this a thousand times this. I really shudder to think what would have become of me if I had had regular internet access as an adolescent. The thing about crime, drugs and rock and roll is that you sink too far into your idiot fantasy world, there's always a skinhead or a cop or something to bop you on the head and bring you back to reality.

Except that there are those who would take that as validation of their world view, and that it proves they're hardcore or something.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

la_fausse_tortue posted:

Fairly weeaboo. She was tagged in a picture of Vocaloid or wtf it is with the long blue hair.

Why can't all the crazy people like things that I don't like? Why must they all cluster around things that I do like? Or at least, would like more, if it weren't for them? :cry:

Please tell me that she isn't also a Touhou fan. I don't think I could bear it if she was.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Konstantin posted:

I don't think female Touhou fans exist. While many Touhou fans are crazy, there is a difference between crazy male fans and crazy female fans, and most of the time a particular property attracts one or the other. I don't think Denise would be a fan of Touhou considering it has an all female cast, so she can't have a spirit husband or whatever, plus the games are rather difficult.

Hm... I don't suppose that somewhere, out there in the farthest reaches of the internet, is a chart that can predict whether or not a franchise will acquire a large fanbase, how crazy the fanbase will be, what the male:female ratio will end up as, and what typically-crazy-fan activities the crazy fans will get in to?

And your first sentence is just plain wrong. Just because the Touhou fanbase is overwhelmingly male, doesn't mean that female fans don't exist. After all, I exist. QED. :colbert:

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 26, 2011

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I sometimes wonder how the gently caress someone who knows how to put a condom on didn't for actual intercourse, but did for blowjobs.

Did I also mention they were Mormon?

I'm somewhat surprised that she didn't end up carrying the pregnancies to term, given that Mormonism is about having thousands of kids...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Aight buddy, have fun with that.

Yeah, this guy was really, really devoted. I imagine you'd have to be to want to go onto First Nations reserves and basically tell them to give up their heritage/culture to go hang out with the crazies that believe you're a savage needing salvation. From what little I knew, he was actually sleeping in someone's spare room and working for the church as extra, so that's probably what the extra year was for. I do know that he went and saved up over 15k just to do that trip, and that was after his parents paid for all his expenses. That money was just for him to use on whatever he felt he needed.

They also did those sorts of things for his sister (my ex friend) and that's probably why she turned out the way she did. She had 4 brand new phones her dad bought her when I last talked to her, but refused to use all of them because they weren't the new iphone. On top of that, he would buy her a new gaming laptop every year (talking about 2k at the least), thousands of dollars of clothes, and take out almost once a day. Her family was really nice to me, but you could tell that they didn't want to deal with any of her serious "I'm an animes" problems and just threw money at her.

I wonder how much of this can be traced back to the parents? Your friend was given whatever electronics she wanted, George bought tons of anime for Denise, and in both cases, that only made their delusions (and sense of entitlement) worse. Did the same thing happen with other crazypants people?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

uglynoodles posted:

When we got back Denise was making some bead thing. There were beads everywhere. Everywhere. I'd be finding beads in that room for weeks afterward. On the floor, in the corner, under the closet door, in my loving underwear.

Oh god, I hope you washed everything afterwards. :gonk:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Corbid Muriosity posted:

But it has been said that she hides it from most everyone, like her dad, but shows out for people like Noodles and Kat who seem to tolerate it for the most part. Wouldn't a crazy person not give a gently caress and just let everyone know about her magic sky castles and stuff because they actually believe it's real? I don't know, I'm just asking.

Would you believe that there are different varieties of crazy, out there in the world?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I combed through my private journal for my final moments on Anthro Asia, since I was not thrown out immediately after the skype interrogation. It was apparently a thread on photos of real life furries and I posted this.

http://www.scottybunny.com/

(A more recent pic:
)

THEN they banned me. I don't understand, do furries hate the fabulous???

I would so go to see this, if I ever got the chance.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Morzox posted:

Speaking of old mainstream stuff, I'm sure of at least one piece you could expose her to to hilarious results.

But that would involve talking to Denise. You see the dilemma involved, don't you?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Once they are scientifically proven to work, they are usually adopted into conventional medicine. You know, like how aspirin is prescribed by regular doctors even though its working ingredient is extracted from willow bark?

So basically, saying "alternative medicine" is like being a "cryptozoologist."

Hey now, at the very least cryptozoology has inspired some pretty good fiction over the years. :colbert:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Good luck with the surgery, uglynoodles. Hopefully, this thread won't fall off the face of the earth while you're gone...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Amazon.com posted:

Look for Similar Items by Category

Books > Humor & Entertainment > Humor
Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Humor > Parodies

Uh-huh. It's a parody. Got it.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Ograbme posted:

Noodles, I am amazed that you can go through sexual assault, an insane sociopath for a friend, and homelessness and still come out as a decent human being.

How do these people respond when they're called out on their bullshit? Do they ever have an excuse better than "No I can't show you the flying swallow ninja death touch; my sensei would send assassins after me for revealing his secrets"?

Of course not. They're not justifying it to you, they're justifying it to themselves.

And just what are you implying in that first paragraph, there? :raise:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

lirenth posted:

Edited to add something I just remembered- speaking of animal cruelty, one of the 3 ferrets died in its cage (got trapped and died of thirst since Darrian was out of town that weekend and Kit couldn't be arsed to check I guess). Darrian found out on the very last day I saw any of these people on purpose. I got invited to the "resurrection ritual" but I obviously did not attend.

That's horrible. :smith: Why do people keep animals, if they're not responsible enough to properly take care of them?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Twiggy Johnson posted:

Worse though is that soulbounders take things to the next level by co-opting the character in a way that prevents anyone else from having the same degree of connection. It's one thing to worship Jesus and look to his teachings/fiction for guidance. It's a completely different matter to claim that you are Jesus. One allows the mythos to be shared by everyone; the other is akin to a toddler gathering up all the toys in the room and screaming when anyone else tries to play.

That, more than anything, was what confused me about Dark Lady Celebrian. When she first showed up on TV Tropes and claimed that video game characters talked to (and through) her, it was the way she acted that made no sense. It wasn't at all like The Ruling Class, where Peter O'Toole's character thinks he's Jesus and acts all serene; she was desperate, paranoid, had the biggest persecution complex I'd ever seen, and always had to be the center of attention. Later on, she tried introducing a couple other soulbonders to the ventrilo channel, and they did the exact same thing.

I've never played Final Fantasy XIII, but isn't Lightning supposed to be cold and unemotional? Why didn't these soulbonder people at least try to emulate the personalities of the people they claimed spoke through (or were) them, instead of making them exactly like themselves? Why was she too lazy to try to differentiate her versions of Iji, Cirno, and Yuffie, aside from making the last one speak in broken Japanese?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

TannhauserGate posted:

Every group of "otherkin" or whatever always claim that this isn't what they're like. This is exactly what they're like. My friend Keesha claims to be a big fan of "glomping" (aka when you run up to someone and hug them, but when you say glomp that makes it anime). e: And she's (offered?) to have me in a furpile before. When she's not even a furry. What is that I don't even.

You forgot to add, run up to someone and hug them without asking, or even alerting them of your existence beforehand. Because apparently, touching people without their permission is nippon ichi gozaimasu moe moe moe. :3:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Is it wrong that, even though this thread was the first place I'd ever heard of him, I find Sai Baba to be creepy because of Henriette? (Also because he was a child molester)

And that is the most depressing thing I've heard in a long time, the kawaiiest. Holy poo poo. :smith:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

LyonsLions posted:

For some reason Japanese TV stations love to go out in Tokyo and find the fattest, greasiest anime nerd tourists and put them on TV, making me weep with shame for my country. I saw something a while ago where they were talking to this fat American cosplayer girl, and they convinced her to have some sort of makeover and put the most ridiculous make-up on her. I am convinced that the media likes to troll the poo poo out of foreign otakus, which is both hilarious and mortifying.

Would making weeaboos watch those kinds of programs cause them to realize that's how they come across to people, and that they should clean up their act? Or would it just cause them to go into denial and/or ignore it?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks for the recommendations! Those three books look like a good place to start.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

:shepface: OH I AM RUNNING OUT OF SPACE

:shepface: I WILL SEE YOU IN CLASS TOMORROW GOODBYE

:v: There's no class anym

:shepface: SHUT UP WE ARE GOING NOW

What an appropriate way to end such an amazing saga. Thanks for telling it to us!

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Khazar-khum posted:

:barf:

That is really gross. I'm sorry that you had to see that, and what the hell is wrong with Bill, that he stranded you there?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

cuntvalet posted:

She's spiraled into weirdness in the last couple years, including a stalkerish crush on me,

You should sever ties. Now.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

"hey, kawaiiest! I didn't see you there. Want to try to something cool?"

These words should never be uttered by anybody, anywhere, to anyone. Ever.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Zakmonster posted:

This is getting a bit long, so if people are still interested, I'll post a few more incidents with Robert and introduce Leon, the Unwashed Skeleton.

I sincerely hope that Leon was an actual skeleton, like something from Jason And The Argonauts, and will be disappointed if he turns out not to be.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

:ughh:

Let me guess. Neither one of them went to a therapist to check if they had actual GID, first? Because that's kind of important.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

Gif of the year! (For proving that humanity has reached a dead-end)

But we're only a couple of weeks into 2012... :v:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Great Green Auk posted:

Also, she insisted on calling me "Lithuania" and forced "Russia" to tackle-glomp me every day :gonk:

I am so sorry.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Not just by copying other manga artists but also by plagiarizing the poo poo out of everything they can get their hands on.

I could probably count the number of good manga artists in one hand.

Oh, if only I had a copy of Even A Monkey Can Draw Manga around to excerpt from, since they were talking about this stuff back in the late eighties...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Konstantin posted:

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that absolutely merits police involvement. Seriously, I worked as a campus police officer, and if Cruxxed Up were to come to me with that story it would lead to some very serious repercussions. "Zander" would probably be expelled and/or arrested if he didn't stop right away.

It's entirely possible that that campus simply didn't give a poo poo. After all, the doors in the dorms didn't have peepholes in them...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

CuddleChunks posted:

Next time I'm in Portland you just point him out and I'll go all internet toughguy on him.

I have a blackbelt in e-intimidation and carry a replica blunderbuss which I use to intimidate pilgrim cosplayers. His days of being a greasy, fedora-wearing supernerd are *over*! :colbert:

(my days of being a greasy, stolen-fedora-wearing supergoon are just beginning!)

Hey now, that would violate the look-don't-touch policy. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

FewtureMD posted:

Or if you're Harry Dresden. :colbert:

But it's mentioned frequently that he dresses like a horrible nerd stereotype, with a duster and sweatpants, of all things. And he is given a fedora on the cover of a lot of these books, which just makes things worse.

• Locked thread