Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
I don't think you did anything wrong, outside of maybe letting things drop a little too often (which isn't something you should be beating yourself up over, but something you should recognize as a personality trait that you may want to address) but I do want to point out the possibility that the hospital may call you again if he's re-admitted and brings you up, and I want you to understand that you absolutely cannot get yourself involved with him, even if something like that happens. If need be, practice saying "yes, I know who you're talking about, but I'm no longer comfortable interacting with him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Let's put it this way: if he's faking, then sending him an email will just give him more of the attention that he wants, and it won't help because he won't care how he gets the attention, just that he got it. If he's legitimately mentally ill, then sending him an email won't help because his illness is not one you can logic away with words, and your email would probably do far more harm than good.

In fact, that might be the best summation. No matter what, sending an email will do far more harm than good.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

LunarShadow posted:

This this, holy loving poo poo this. What even made it seem like a good idea to introduce a nine year old to an internet community? I am not even certified yet and that sets off alarm bells you could hear in the next zip code.

Unless I'm the one misunderstanding, I don't think they were suggesting that they introduce the child to online fanfiction or the fanfiction community, but questioning whether it was okay to encourage her to write what are essentially fanfics.

My daughter really likes to exaggerate or makeup accomplishments in order to seem even cooler, and writing everything down as a story was the suggestion she was given as well. She was about 9 at the time. She's chilled out a lot since then.

• Locked thread