Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I wonder what these people did before the internet. Did some people take "Fans are Slans" so seriously they went to try breeding them for example?

Why, yes.

Mimeographed rants circulated through the mail were pretty much a slower, slightly less sweary version of the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

No they didn't, since they were a pair of middle-aged Civil War reenactors. Ashuras it was.

Ashura is a Muslim religious festival. Asura is a kind of Vedic demigod, but they're generally considered destructive entities. Your acquaintances confuse me.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Visteri posted:

Oh, I guess there was that one time in high school when I decided to seek out the soul of J. Robert Oppenheimer in the Astral Plane and be his ~spirit lover~ because I saw Day One in school and thought that David Strathairn was hot. But I got tired of that real quick. And then I got a real boyfriend, which probably put an end to any potential Astral Husband craziness that may have developed.

David Strathairn is hot as hell. I think everyone gets a pass on wanting to gently caress Oppenheimer or Eddie Cicotte or whatever real or fictional character he might play because bejeezus.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

It's okay to love animals.

Just not to looooooooove :quagmire: animals.

That drat Satyr posted:

As for conventions, everything she said is 100% accurate. We literally had to force him into the bathroom to shower most cons. Moer gets awful migraines that causes her to vomit and be in hellish pain and he would refuse to do anything to help care for her when she got in that state so it usually fell to me and my husband to get her sorted and taken care of. As we're in the bathroom, her heaving and me trying to hold her hair back, he would come in and try telling us all about the ~amazing fursuit games oh lol so fun u guiez~, as if literally nothing out of the ordinary was going on. :|

:gonk: Body odor and pee odor are two of my worst migraine triggers. What a nightmare.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

moerketid posted:

This is incredible. I thought my boyfriend's moronic sister was the only one who did the "I'm so small!" thing. Now I know she has an American evil(ler) twin somewhere.

There's a terrible Canadian mommy blogger called Babyslime who does this, too. It is so ridiculous, because she's like 4'11" and she's constantly complaining about not being able to do this or that (like getting dental work without opiates :psyduck:) because she's "so tiny."

Meanwhile, a woman I know who has dwarfism and is well under 4 feet tall is powering through all this stuff.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Was he in training to be a Roman Catholic priest? Or a non-celibate priest, like Episcopal or Greek Orthodox or similar?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Where do you live that therapy is $400/hour? In a fancy Park Avenue practice in Manhattan, it's $250/hour.

Not that that's affordable for most people :smithicide:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Hibiscus posted:

See, you're missing the point. They didn't think that. They completely changed their focus from being about the pre-1960s culture to being about bullshit culture.

I don't think you broke them. Once they were on Second Life, they were bound to get infected by anime somehow.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Your question probably belongs more in e/n, but I'll save you some time -- you should get therapy. You can stop tangling yourself in crazy.

Yes, this. Life is too short to be the Bear Grylls of horribly dysfunctional people. Get some sane friends.

Also, the pissing contests between various 20th century fake religions crack me up to death. I don't know if my favorite is Thelemite vs. Asatru, or the various sects of Satanism against each other, but a good old Thelemite v. Wicca showdown is always hilarious. Oh, you win! Your fake religion is a decade or so older!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Hibiscus posted:

I'm just glad it's over. Next time, I'm not going to get sucked in.

This is a good resolve. Go, you!

And thank you so much for the great Aristasia stories.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

For the same reason religions like this weren't simply abandoned by all members after their prophecies didn't come to fruition. Belief, or wanting to believe, is really, really strong.

The card thing is pretty hilarious though.

There was a very influential study of a UFO cult done in the 1950s that really looked hard at this question. The lead researcher came up with the concept of "cognitive dissonance" to explain the psychology of people continuing to hold on to disproved beliefs ("disconfirmed expectations" in this model). It's really interesting.

See also: Harold Camping, The Church Universal and Triumphant, trickle-down economics, austerity policy, etc.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Hibiscus posted:

Hey guys - do you think it would be productive to write The Atlantean Meditation Master a long-rear end email explaining how he needs to break from this kind of thing to be healthy?

No. He won't pay attention to what you say, but will believe that you contacted him because you are as obsessed with him as he is with you.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Fooma posted:

Is the New Age drivel about creating "Thoughtforms" the same thing to Otherkin "Tupla"? Because if so holy poo poo, confession time, I apparently was doing that back when I was an idiot teenager in a relationship with a blind wiccan.

The "thoughtform" stuff is based on some early 20th century writer's semi-understanding of Tibetan tulpa meditations, yeah.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Ask them when they started letting African-Americans join the Mormon faith and watch them squirm

Black people could join, it's just that black men weren't eligible for the "Melchizedek priesthood" until 1978.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Konstantin posted:

That's a bit of a misnomer though, since every adult male member of the Mormon church is expected to go through the rites to become a priest. It would be like the Catholic Church saying black people could be Catholics but couldn't take communion. It's an essential part of the religion and without it blacks were regarded as second class citizens in the church.

But women of every race were already second-class citizens, and still are. So, yeah, it was silly for the LDS church to do outreach to convert black dudes while they were blocked from the Melchizidek priesthood, but since they were also doing outreach to convert ladies, I don't think they noticed the cognitive dissonance.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

TunaSpleen, do you know what happened with Peggy's daughters?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The book High Weirdness By Mail, which was a Church of the Sub-Genius thing, is a great little overview of the strangest of the crazy zines and newsletters that abounded in pre-Internet days.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I think if you say "Writing is a great way to enjoy your imagination, and if you want to make up stories about the characters you love from {thing}, that's awesome and can be really fun. And you can make up your own characters, too, and write about their stories. I'd love to read any stories you want to show me. But it's not okay to do that in class, because we're here to learn about math/science/history" you might plant some seeds.

I think encouraging her to write is good, because it gives her an outlet for her imaginative fixation with these characters and situations, but agree that maybe don't tell her it's fan fiction, because holy crap, some of the people out there :gonk:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Louise Erdrich's Birchbark series are what little girls should be reading about Native kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

That drat Satyr posted:

I wish I had a super positive asskicking update to my story, but unfortunately I got what I got.

I have a restraining order against the entire Keister family, which has done little good. I'm still raising the cash to hire a lawyer and go for criminal charges against her

I'm going to reveal my ignorance by asking if there is any state in the US which allows private prosecution of criminal offenses? Or did you mean "civil damages" instead of "criminal charges"?

• Locked thread