Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
The saga continues? It's just difficult for me to wrap my mind around the concept of feeling homesick for a place one obviously doesn't belong. I mean, this is just an educated guess, but I can only imagine her habits and persona are even less acceptable in that culture than they are here in the west.

Edit: To be clear, I completely concur with Viola the Mad's assessment that a person can feel an intense connection to a land/culture not of their origin? but Denise's deal seems as though it must be significantly different.

burial fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Grope-A-Matic posted:

Really? There's *no* other word for it?

I think it was officially called "remedial physical education" in our school. So, yes. I believe that there IS another word for it. (Of course, I think that was the point you were trying to make, so.)

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Lt. Marmalade posted:

As a side note, if people think it would make things funnier I could draw accompanying comics to these stories.

A resounding YES! Comics almost always make these things funnier. Can't wait.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Jesus gently caress, dude. That's, just. I don't even know.

I want to find it hilarious, but I am engrossed enough in the saga that "terrifying" is a far more accurate in terms of my immediate reaction to the reveal.

burial fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 3, 2012

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Colon V posted:

I should not be laughing at this.

Why not? Barbie Hooker Patrol is probably the best, most hilarious way of playing with those things I've ever heard. Ever.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Now I am really glad I always found the back of Rice's novel weird and off putting during my teenage years.

Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis you saved me yet again.

You and me both. Oh, the Death's Gate Cycle. If there's a character Dis-at-12 wanted to be? it was Haplo. loving chaodyn.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

bringmyfishback posted:

I know two Chanis. :ohdear:

I once named a cat that. But to be fair, I was about fifteen at the time. Also, I think naming pets things of this nature is a little more acceptable than inflicting this poo poo on children.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

DicktheCat posted:

Ask owl-girl if she feels the wings on her back. Every single bird otherkin feels like they should have wings on their back.

That is not where bird wings go.

Maybe she's a MUTANT owlkin. The kind that would not be able to fly or hunt. Or survive its first few days of life without severe medical intervention.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I suppose I'm reluctantly seconding that in this self-injury case telling the story might do you more, well, harm than good. (Not a thing I think anyone here wants, considering.)

It IS a shame there isn't more content for this thread though. It got me back into reading the forums in general when it was in its infancy.

burial fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 25, 2016

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Unguided posted:

"Weis & Hickman" is an effective warning label for both a series and its fans.

Going to have to disagree with you there - at least on the "series" element. The Death's Gate Cycle wasn't exactly high art, but it wasn't inherently terrible either. I read through it once in a great while just to remember what I liked about it when I was a kid.

Can't speak to the fanbase. Is there one? Are they terrible? I mean, I've heard snippets about Dragonlance or whatever but I've never read it and wouldn't have guessed it was (still?) a thing.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Nah the point of the Death's Gate books is that both the "evil" and "good" magical factions are actually tremendous assholes, just in different ways.

This guy gets it.

Also: humans, elves, and dwarves are all considered equally inferior by the demi-gods. Pretty sure the "good" characters end up respecting them by the end. At least somewhat? It's been a long time.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Samizdata posted:

(Also, ex-SCA here too. Unfortunately, my main skills were sword, drinking, and dance. Plus combinations thereof.)

I'm assuming this was at least partially a joke (by all means correct me - in detail - if I'm wrong) but I got a real kick out of pondering how one might pursue (period appropriate?) drinking as an actual, measurable skill.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

See, it's the measurable part that gets me. It's a whole day later and it's STILL funnier than it should be:

"Sure, he has some technical skill where sloshing the grog around is concerned, but he consistently gets slightly too little froth on the surface of the table when he roars a toast."

"True, but his slurring technique has really improved since he's been training with Rita. She's really got a knack for teaching controlled incoherence."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Look, I can apologize for my hosed mind, but beyond that the well is dry.

Also yes, probably.

• Locked thread