Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Probably one of the biggest issues is people with legitimate mental illnesses falling into situations like that because they get validation. That's one of the biggest issues with the nerd social fallacies; instead of telling a legit crazy person to seek help it's "everybody else is the problem not you." Whereas everybody else has gotten sick of their bad behavior they finally found a place where they're coddled and allowed to be horrible.

I think this is part of where the sudden prevalence of "if people can't handle your anxiety problems the problem is them not you" comes from. Instead of getting therapy and treatment they just get encouraged; then their problems get worse, lather, rinse, repeat. They're also frequently parasite singles that have literally nothing else going on in their lives other than living in their parents' basement and maybe working some lovely part-time job.

And in some ways can we really blame them? The job market is absolute poo poo right now. Their parent's generation isn't retiring so their jobs aren't coming available and even if they were they're being eliminated. Everything is more expensive too so they can't afford houses or easily afford college. And even if they could afford college their circle will tell them the professors are jerks that just want to make their lives harder so they make classes impossible.

A long while back Lowtax gave a very, very good talk on the internet and what it does socially. One of the issues these nerd fallacy-prone groups have is based on this. He pointed out that the internet "tends to kind of concentrate things." People can very easily get online and find whatever sort of social group they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

inokichi posted:

Yeah but plenty of people with mental illness have literally no insight into themselves and their behaviour and just write off any advice as being nonsense and continue their dysfunctional behaviour. So no amount of honest advice will help some people.

True but most people with mental issues you can get them to go get help. People so far gone they'll refuse to get help and assume they don't need it are a minority. Generally speaking people with issues probably have some inkling that something is wrong with their life but aren't sure what. It can take doing but people with issues can get help if they're prodded enough.

People in situations like this one are being actively prodded away from getting help. People that would otherwise get help are finding places where they're being told they're perfectly fine the way they are which is absolutely not how you get mental illnesses fixed.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think the main thing with fibromyalgia is that the diagnostic criteria are kind of nebulous and non-specific. People that actually have it can be completely ruined by it so some people decide they want an excuse for why their lives suck and find something to diagnose themselves with. Fribo is a popular one because it's like "well I feel tired sometimes and I hurt sometimes so I must have fibro!" Then it becomes their excuse for everything and you're the jerk if you ever call them on it because they're disabled.

Except that self-diagnosis of that sort of thing is frequently bullshit and real fibromyalgia is actually pretty awful. Wouldn't wish that on people I hate.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Who is driving? Bear is driving! How can this be?

I always liked to say that my spirit animal is the cockroach. Little fuckers are indestructible and that speaks to me. Forget being a regal, majestic predator. I want to be an unkillable species. It got some people unreasonably angry.

Though if I had to have a spirit machine it'd be the lever. Simple but profoundly useful. Very practical. One of the basic tools that will never go away.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Punting posted:

They're probably people of the "ALL SPIRIT ANIMALS MUST BE BEAUTIFUL MAJESTIC POWER CREATURES WHAT IS THIS INSECTILE FILTH" stripe. There's a surprising number of people who legitimately, for some reason, don't feel like :airquote: "lesser" :airquote: animals or "icky" creatures could ever represent someone spiritually.

E: well that's certainly one way to start a new page.

That and it's obviously a joke which some people can't handle.

If you look almost all the animals chosen are apex predators or cute animals people like. Or common pets. Picking an animal that is pretty universally loathed and viewed as a pest is wrong.

The specifics aren't all that interesting. Mostly along the lines of "what is wrong with you?" Or getting mad about making fun of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

uglynoodles posted:

I'd say there's nothing wrong with teaching her that writing fan fiction is a thing to do creatively. Just don't use that exact term. Describe it slightly different, so when she's old enough, she'll be like "Oh, there's a word for that!" Instead of just kind of being exposed to the whole hot mess of it right off.

Eh, it's probably better to steer her away from fan fic in general. Perhaps go the route of "well hey if you like those stories and those characters why don't you invent your own?" If you like, say, Harry Potter you could write your own boy wizard and what kinds of crazy adventures he goes on.

• Locked thread