Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Hedera Helix posted:

Please tell me that she isn't also a Touhou fan. I don't think I could bear it if she was.

I don't think female Touhou fans exist. While many Touhou fans are crazy, there is a difference between crazy male fans and crazy female fans, and most of the time a particular property attracts one or the other. I don't think Denise would be a fan of Touhou considering it has an all female cast, so she can't have a spirit husband or whatever, plus the games are rather difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I can't help but feel a bit that her father should be told, even now. She very clearly needs psychiatric help, and maybe the only person who has any kind of chance of helping her is her father.

I'm pretty sure he knows, but psychiatric help is expensive, and there is a lot to fix there. If he doesn't have insanely good health insurance (many health insurance plans have a very low coverage cap on mental health issues) then there is little he can do unless he is able to pay hundreds of dollars a week for therapy and meds. I don't see her getting any help unless she attempts suicide, and even then she will be held in a mental hospital for a few days and released with a bunch of medication that may or may not help if she takes it.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Keep in mind that the attitude that creepy anime guy exhibits isn't at all unusual among the creepier male fans, although he takes it to an extreme. You see a lot of the same viewpoints on /a/, although at least there you can pretend that they are trolls and/or stupid teenagers. Like I said before, there a difference between crazy male fans and crazy female fans, although it is hard to tell which is worse.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Morzox posted:

Oh god, this sort of thing runs rampant among the furry community; it's definitely not helped by the way they tend to encourage it. YOU'RE NOT JUST SOME LAME HUMAN, YOU'RE ACTUALLY A BEAUTIFUL SHE-WOLF oh wait sorry, I'm yelling on the internet. I'm sorry, you guys.

If they actually thought they were a she-wolf it would be better. I remember when I first heard about furries I viewed it in the context of spirituality. I knew that a lot of pagan beliefs were about things like "totem animals" and that it was perfectly okay for someone to believe that they had a wolf spirit guiding them, or that they may have been a wolf in a previous life. That, and there was nothing wrong with encouraging greater kinship with the natural world. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that they meant they felt bonded to cartoon wolves, probably had no desire to see a real one outside of a zoo, and would do nothing but complain about the bugs and the weather if they were out in 'nature'. They really do misrepresent themselves even if you leave out the whole "yiff" thing.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Keep in mind that almost all teenagers who are raised with that stuff either don't believe in it at all, or think things like "Well, oral sex doesn't actually count as sex, and it doesn't count if he pulls out before he comes." That, or they end up getting married to the first person they are in a serious relationship with, just so they can have sex.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Kinetica posted:

There seem to be a lot of people with some sort of obsession with angels, I knew of a few people growing up that believed they were bonded or some poo poo to various angels. Ocassionally they would run around doing poo poo and blaming that they were guided by their angels to try to get out of what ever messed they caused.

Never gotten the fascintion with angels, they generally tend to make Bad Things Happen when they pop up.

A lot of people confuse the popular image of an angel with what is actually written in the Bible. Angels don't really play a role in Protestant theology, except in the context of Armageddon, so they aren't really covered by religious leaders in church. The idea of a "guardian angel" has little biblical basis, and can in fact be traced back to the Ancient Greeks. It has never been heretical, but has never been part of official church doctrine either. This means people can make poo poo up and have it be generally accepted. Being "bonded" to an anime character is crazy, being "bonded" to an angel that looks like an anime character means you are close with God and spiritually blessed.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Snapdragon750 posted:

Fushigi Yuugi is especially suited to girl fantasy because the main character (whose name might as well be Mary Sue) is a teenage girl who gets sucked into another world in which she is special and has 7 guardian men who look after her and most of them (SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!!) eventually reveal their love for her. Honestly I have no idea why it isn't more popular than it is.

It's a show from the 90s that was never on American TV, plus it's hard to buy, since the people that licensed it in the US shut down and stopped making DVDs. Typically crazy fans tend to latch onto something that was very popular at some point, and dismiss old or obscure shows.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Antivehicular posted:

"Broke the mood?" Really? I can only picture him lighting a ring of scented candles, putting a mix CD of moe-anime EDs on the ol' hi-fi, and sprinkling rose petals on the floor before whispering to the pillow about how beautiful it is and how this is their night, baby, their special night.

People actually do this.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Better Days is one of the worst webcomics out there. Before I read it, I never thought that you could be both a neoconservative and a furry, but the author pulls it off. Highlights include underage sex, incest, rape, characters getting on a soapbox to spout the author's political views, worship of the US Military, and hilarious jabs at liberals. Luckily I've never met any Republican furries in real life, but they must be the most conflicted individuals ever.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

God that Zander story is horrifying. There are people in my classes who have autism in the way that they honestly don't understand human interactions and sometimes mistake people joking around as insulting them...but holy gently caress. that's just a hundred different kinds of creepy.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that absolutely merits police involvement. Seriously, I worked as a campus police officer, and if Cruxxed Up were to come to me with that story it would lead to some very serious repercussions. "Zander" would probably be expelled and/or arrested if he didn't stop right away.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Adelheid Stark posted:

All I really remember about Outlaw Star was thinking that caster bullets were awesome and that it was fun to watch, but I guess I never really caught on to how much fanservice there apparently was.

It originally aired on Toonami, so a lot of the fanservice was cut out of the TV version.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

- He also played IRL Magic, but he didn't play with assembled decks or participate in drafts - he would just proxy ridiculously overpowered decks (i.e. play with fake cards), and I mean old-school broken poo poo like Fireball + Black Lotus + Mox gems decks that are almost guaranteed wins.

This is actually a legit way to play "Vintage" Magic, and a lot of people take it seriously and play for large prize pools. They use the fake cards because a set of real ones can cost tens of thousands of dollars. Plus, there is a lot of depth to the Vintage game, since the obvious broken poo poo has some not so obvious broken counters. Of course, if he brings his Black Lotus proxy into casual matches against people who only use real cards and don't understand the Vintage metagame, that's just being a dick.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Lady of the Beech posted:

Yeah, this is what drives me nuts about modern neopaganism, especially since although it is true that a lot of critical information on these religions and how they worked is missing, I think it is possible to reconstruct complete, functional religions based on historical, linguistic and archaeological evidences. But the people who make these "modern neopagan" religions just make poo poo up and are hardly scientific about how they "re-"build their religions at all.

From what I understand, a lot of this is because the old pagan spiritual practices include things that aren't fun. Things like fasting for days, self-mutilation, and even human sacrifice weren't uncommon. I doubt anyone seriously wants to reconstruct many historical pagan religions, they just take the parts that sound interesting and aren't too offensive.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Farbauti posted:

Those poor poor children wouldn't stand a chance. :psyduck:

My guess is that they would have became far-right evangelical Christians.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
A lot of for-profit art 'schools' actively recruit these people. After all, they typically have access to some money, and are eligible for Federal student loans. I remember seeing one that actually got a table in the dealers room of an anime con, and it wouldn't surprise me if they started advertising on DeviantArt.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Nessa posted:

I'm iffy on the portfolio thing. I mean, if someone wants to go to art school because they want to learn to become an artist, they have to already be a good artist to even be accepted. How would one with no prior art knowledge become a good enough artist to get into an art school without first going to an art school?

I almost applied to an art course, and now I know that I wouldn't have been accepted anyway because of the portfolio requirements. At the time, I was in highschool and just drawing comics and bad art in my sketchbooks.

Any sufficiently motivated student should be able to learn the basics, either on their own or taking courses at a community college. You shouldn't be admitted to an engineering program if you don't know high school algebra, art programs should be the same way.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

the kawaiiest posted:

Maybe we're over thinking it, I mean Gaia is a web site for 13 year olds after all so it's highly unlikely that these guys are actually

Gaia was founded in 2003, someone who joined in the early days when she was 14 would be 22 now. Hopefully they would have stopped posting on Gaia in the meantime, but I am sure some of them stuck around. That's the thing about the Internet, you are whatever age your mind is. You can be in your thirties and share your poorly written Twilight slash fanfiction or whatever with 14 year olds, and be treated as a peer.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

the kawaiiest posted:

GD is still around and it's significantly worse now. It's SO bad, in fact, that it's the only forum you can't see on the forums page unless you're logged in, because Gaia doesn't want to risk any parents seeing it. People have been begging Gaia to get rid of it, but they're afraid that if they delete it, the forum will "spill" and the GDers will invade other forums and post their horrible poo poo there.

In fact I just went there to see if I could find any horrible poo poo and all I found was a girl's sig, which is a photo of her with the caption "DONT U WANNA RAPE MEH????"

They can always try what GameFAQs did with LUE. For those of you unfamiliar with that particular drama, LUE (Life, the Universe, and Everything) was a GameFAQs board. Their forums are almost all bad, but LUE was the worst. It was a 'general' forum, but you needed to have a certain amount of posts and your account had to be a certain age to post there. The idea was that this would promote better discussion, and it had a more 'relaxed' moderation system. This worked about as well as you'd expect.

So the mods desperately wanted to kill LUE, but they didn't want the posters going to other forums. They tried a variety of techniques. First, they removed all links to LUE from the board navigation pages, so you could only access it by typing the URL. That didn't work. Then, they decided to close LUE to new users altogether. Anyone who registered after certain date couldn't join LUE. That worked okay, but LUE was still a cesspool. Finally, they decided to only allow people who 'signed up' for LUE within a two-week window access it. If you didn't sign up in those two weeks, you could never access LUE. That finally 'killed' the board, although it is still active and even ten years later people are still posting there, although most of them moved to an offsite board.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
You could probably do an animal-themed strip club pretty easily and have normal business if you went light on the furry stuff. The whole "sexy kitty" and "bunnygirl" outfits are pretty mainstream after all. Full on bodypaint would weird out a lot of people though, plus wouldn't that stuff rub off pretty easily?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

Is there any way we can find out exactly why the thread about Gaia was closed from the mods? Because I really don't thing Something Awful cares about what Gaia thinks. Hell, we didn't give a poo poo about what Reddit, 4chan, and TV Tropes and ran with their respective threads.

I figure you could ask in QCS about it, since as far as I can tell, the thread wasn't gassed.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This kind of poo poo is pretty common with kids of rich people. When you grow up privileged its pretty easy to be like 'well poo poo I got here without any work, why can't everyone else, it's really easy!' and once you're there, it takes a lot to realize like, 90% of what you have has never been anything to do with you.

Funny enough, lots of poor people think the same thing, but that's more a combination of media telling us we can be anything we ~*~DrEaM~*~ and Objectivist rich people telling us the same.

I know some rich people, and it's relatively rare for someone to get a lot of money without working hard as an adult. Even trust fund babies usually get cut off by their late twenties if they don't bother finishing college and using their connections to get a corporate job. (Or, if female, marrying a rich guy and becoming a housewife, which is also hard work.) Once you're in corporate America, you will be working hard. If you're incompetent you'll just be working hard on things that don't matter until the next "rightsizing".

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Voltin Bolt posted:

Countdown to fish and wildlife services kicking in my apartment door - as they drag me flailing and screaming down the stairs, I'll catch a glimpse of the owl sitting in the tree outside my window. Watching. That fucker.

You can always just say it's bound to an owl spirit that is your familiar, so it is a key to the free exercise of your religious beliefs and therefore protected by the First Amendment.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Agreed, there isn't really that much a parent can do. Maybe give their kids grocery store gift cards instead of cash, so they know they won't blow all the parents' money on frivolous things. Other than that, a lot of this stems from the need for friendships or sexual relationships, which parents can't really help with.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Excelsiortothemax posted:

To be fair, a priest is far cheaper than a child psychologist.

This is a real issue. I did a research paper on this topic, and religious leaders of all faiths are called upon to deal with mental health issues very frequently, but most seminaries only require one "pastoral counseling" class. The good ones get more training on their own initiative and refer people with serious problems to a professional. The incompetent ones recommend things like prayer and Bible study that may provide some comfort, but do nothing to address the problem.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
A lot depends on the qualifications of the therapist, I can see a psychiatrist charging $400/hr easy, but most mentally ill people don't need to see a psychiatrist on a regular basis. Also, I can see health professionals in highly in-demand fields charging more for services in less desirable locations. If you can get a job anywhere, you probably won't choose to live in Des Moines over the SF Bay, so there might be an upward pressure on prices in Des Moines to get those professionals to move there.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
So I assume that anyone who was "outed" as a real-life biological male was instantly ostracized from Aristasian online RPs and the like? During the 1990s the Internet was, for the most part, extremely male-dominated. From my memory of that period, if Aristasia would have advertised itself at all on the Internet it would have gotten invaded by hordes of teenage boys wanting to have lesbian cybersex. Did that ever happen, and how did they deal with the drama it caused?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

uglynoodles posted:

Why do these stories so often end in such a rapey way? As you know Denise tried a little of it on with me. These things so often encompass non consensual encounters it's got to be for a related reason.

These are teenagers who are developing sexually, and that combined with untreated mental illness and an unhealthy environment can lead to horrible results.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
That's a bit of a misnomer though, since every adult male member of the Mormon church is expected to go through the rites to become a priest. It would be like the Catholic Church saying black people could be Catholics but couldn't take communion. It's an essential part of the religion and without it blacks were regarded as second class citizens in the church.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Another thing that makes it worse is that many educational institutions have a rule that all "official" student organizations that take school funding or use school space need to be open to all students. Of course, the intent is great, make sure everyone has a chance to participate, and prevent shared resources from being monopolized by closed groups. The downside is that if you have a massive creep in your RPG group you can't kick them out unless they actually violate official policy and you're willing to report them.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Yes, but the police are reluctant to charge people for it, as they don't want to discourage legitimate reports. In my city, we had a woman who faked an LGBT hate crime, vandalizing her own apartment and cutting slurs into her skin. It made national news and the FBI were called in, and she ended up sentenced to a week in jail and two years probation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah, if you are in a school with a counselor or mental health professional, I'd bring it up with them, especially if her behavior seems to be getting worse.

• Locked thread