Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Do you feel you benefited in any way from this upbringing that you wouldn't have if you'd been going to school and your parents had been less controlling? (Or if they'd been entirely non-religious?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grognan posted:

If I can find examples of my crazy textbooks I'll post them. I rather doubt anyone would scan them though.

What subject is that? Social studies?

Also, are you familiar with this thread? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659026&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Did you ever run across this strain of insanity?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
On the one hand, telling him might be a wakeup call. On the other hand, what might he do to your grandparents if he found out?

And what kind of shitstorm of is there going to be when whoever inherits the house tries to evict him? What rights would he have?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

DicktheCat posted:

I lost it at "gently caress YOUR REPUBLICAN PEARS"

What the hell, old lady?

I think I'm in love with grandma.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Poison Mushroom posted:

It might be entertaining to buy him an account, at least.

Hahah, you think this guy isn't already a goon.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

value-brand cereal posted:

big old list of scientific articles about lycanthropy

Convince me that such a thing actually exists. Better still would be if there's some Institute for Creation Research for furries pumping out pseudoscience to support their cause.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I am a katamarikin and I am married to the king of cosmos who is really sephiroth and cloud and who told me to roll up all the bishounen so that they could bear all of our spirit babies. Also half of my soul is really Sonic.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Not to give away too much information, I have a 9 year old student who is really, sometimes violently, insistent that TV characters are her real-life family members, or otherwise connected to her in real life somehow. She'll act as though they are present in the room at wildly inappropriate moments, as well as interrupt people to tell elaborate stories about what she and her imaginary friends did.

I'm pretty concerned that she's going to end up like the people in this thread. What, if anything, can I do to gently guide her away from that fate?

Right now, I (and it turns out other teachers with whom I hadn't talked about this prior) have just been telling her that I don't want to hear about it right now, but if she wants to write about it, I'll gladly read it. I've also been contradicting her when she makes statements about her personal life that I know for sure are patently false.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, my first concern would be the kid's home life, but if that's not an issue, probably just focus on keeping her on task. Nothing you're describing sounds a ton crazier than most 9-year-olds I went to school with, especially if it's just scattershot stories and not a persistent fantasy life.

It's persistent. The broad strokes only change when she picks up a new TV show or book series. (And so far it's always been one I'm familiar with, so I can spot it right away.)

Her home life is fine so far as I know. But yes, emotional problems. (That's why she's in my class.)

I've tried to steer her toward writing. What I'm wondering about, especially since a lot of you folks have been immersed in it, is whether the fan fiction community as a whole would be a good outlet for this kind of thing, or whether it is more likely to make things worse in the long run.

edit: I mean she'll probably find it on her own eventually, I mean whether I can steer her in that direction with a clear conscience.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 26, 2016

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I would under no circumstances expose a nine year old to the slippery slope to horror and psychological damage that is the fanfic community.

I mean, holy poo poo.

EDIT: Okay, to clarify, not all fanfiction and not all of the community is quite that poisonous. But without the ability to monitor and filter the type of fanfic that she's consuming, and the community she's interacting with, I'd be extremely concerned that she'd be exposed to a lot of stuff that no nine year old should encounter.

Her independent entry is not that much of an immediate danger; her reading level isn't quite up to it. Just whether I should remind her that this thing exists, maybe pick out a few suitable stories. (Her current favorite thing is not very popular fanfic wise, and everything I've seen is fine.)

I mean if you have a weirdo enter that community, are they more likely to become more weird, or more likely to get it out of their system in a harmless way?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I meet her family members every morning and most afternoons. They know what's going on.

Sounds like what I had been doing is probably the way to go. Hey, who knows, maybe she burns out on fanfic before she even realizes it's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

fishmech posted:

Uh, you have a very high opinion of the reading level of the typical fanfic I think. Unless you're saying she has some sort of reading problem in general? Which maybe that could be part of why she feels the need to claim various characters are totally her friends.

She does, a bit. The reading level of a particular fanfic isn't the problem. It's that you need to reach a minimal level of automaticity in your reading before navigating a text-heavy website to find the things you'd be interested in stops being a chore. I expect she'll be a year or two behind most kids in getting to that level.

How about I put this another way...I have been trying to encourage this kid to write instead of pestering people with her fantasy life. Is the inevitability of this leading to the fanfiction community if she persists long enough to be able to get there on her own a death sentence for someone who is already showing some crazy tendencies?

Would it be better to just deny this crap outright, all the time? Would it be better to play along? What approach is most likely to help maintain a connection to reality?

• Locked thread