Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Calico Heart posted:

Though he will appreciate some fine art with the ladies (warning: this picture is amazing)

His staff in the photo is not the same as the one in his hand. Dude has more than one bitchin-cool staff! I am literally jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

So if the doll guy somehow managed to have actual daughters do you think he would be just as creepy with them as he is with his dolls? Does creepiness invade fatherhood? (please say no, please say no, please say no)

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Hey, she may be socially awkward, selfish beyond belief, and a habitual rape-crier, but at least she's not astrally married to all the Pokemon, right?

This thread has taught me life lessons I might regret learning...

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

The most disturbing part of the story for me is the coughing up tonsil stones part. Does that actually happen? Do people actually DO that?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Hibiscus posted:

I realize I hosed up probably about twenty times during the course of this story. How would you guys have handled things differently? Please tell me I'm not quite as horrible a person as I actually feel right now.

Since you asked, I would have not let things drop. I would have argued like it was YouTube until I made the guy so angry that he would never want to see me again. I would do that because by telling me (or you) those things he would be de facto asking for my cooperation in his self-delusion and therefore, since its his self-delusion, he would have control over almost every social interaction from there on out.

Getting someone to tolerate or participate in your self-delusions is like the first step of some kind of gaslighting. We've seen it before in this thread, it is a common pattern. People make these elaborate fantasies for themselves in order to deal with difficult situations (sometimes difficult because they've got a lovely life, or sometimes difficult because they're absolute selfish assholes and its hard to not get every single thing that they want all the time), but then try to extend their fantasies to include the people around them. They always do this to try to control the people around them.

You were willing to give him some control - you were willing to let him pretend that he taught you Reiki. But you just weren't willing to give him enough control to pretend that he made you fall in love with him. His mistake was that he reached too far too soon. He should have coerced you into pretending about small things first, like actually the Reiki and maybe guessing that you're both psychic and getting you to pretend with him that you could read minds. THEN work up to the big stuff like making you pretend that you're in love with him. You can see more successful manipulators like him in the E/N subforum every day (never the posters, always the other people in a poster's story).

I'm not saying that you did anything wrong or bad, because you did tell him that he made you uncomfortable, and you didn't cooperate with his more serious self-delusions, and you eventually cut off all ties. I just wouldn't have let us go that far to begin with.

Also holy poo poo.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

uglynoodles posted:

Why do these stories so often end in such a rapey way? As you know Denise tried a little of it on with me. These things so often encompass non consensual encounters it's got to be for a related reason.

Because when you're a horny teenager, the paths are many and varied, but they all lead to the same destination - sex!

crowfeathers posted:

Not all seizures are triggered by flashing lights.

And not all seizures are shaking spells. Some can be just a series of repetitive motions as innocuous as repeatedly adjusting the headphones of your walkman... for 15 minutes. It definitely could be seizures. I don't understand why your psychologist wouldn't have thought of it, though.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Rexides posted:

Is there a psychological condition that prevents people from apologising for rear end in a top hat behaviour unless threatened with murder? Even the biggest rear end in a top hat could at least fake an apology to the guy who is a loving semi-pro boxer.

It's called being a oval office.

And there ain't no cure for being a oval office.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

So, how did all this happen? In a chat window? on IRC? MSN Messenger? I'm getting confused here.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

So basically this "Kry" person was your very own personal liveposting George R. R. Martin and she kept telling you the horrifying plot twists were your fault. "Bran was thrown off the tower BECAUSE OF YOU and Drogo died BECAUSE OF YOU and Theon got his dick cut off BECAUSE OF YOU and Talisa got stabbed in the baby BECAUSE OF YOU!"

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Well, hey, at least you never tried to control anyone else with your rapturial ideals and dictate the very terms of their reality, so no harm no foul?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I think more than any particular kind of illness being more prevalent, its the phenomenon of bragging about your illnesses like a badge of honor that is the common factor. One of the most annoying guys I've ever played DnD with would just never loving shut up about his Crohn's disease. His girlfriend, who was also in the group, also plopped down extra details whenever he would bring it up, which was every time. Nobody wants to know about your poo poo, but they just couldn't get that.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Sometimes a little mockery is necessary to pop the bubble. Otherwise people convince themselves that Final Fantasy 7 is real and they have the souls of Sephiroth and Cloud.

Yes. All of the crazy stories in this thread developed because of a deficiency of enough mockery in these people's lives. If they had only been more connected to other people around them, those other people could call them out on the crazy poo poo they were trying to pull/say/believe and prevented it.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Rexides posted:

Mind blown, someone notify the APA to update the DSM.

are you... are you mocking me?

Hmm, I guess I should change my behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Nine years old seems to be the perfect time for making up wild fantasies about yourself. It's after puberty when it starts getting worrying.

• Locked thread