Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Deified Data posted:

Is there a place to find uglynoodle's original art?

Most of it shows up if you put a page's url into archive.org and click the earliest date.

E.g. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444416&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 take that and put it into archive.org
Or sometimes it's http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444416&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 because that format was archived and the other wasn't. Simply change the pagenumber to the one you want to see it on and paste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you want the real answer, the reason is because, especially back in the early 90s when this story happened, furry was heavily male and also sort of a place where some regular gay dudes (well, and lesbians) could get community and meet up in a time when you couldn't even talk about being gay so freely on the internet, let alone in public.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's worth noting that there were all sorts of weirdo support groups and mailing lists and the like long before the internet. If you ever get a hold of this old book series called the People's Almanac, they list a good deal of them that were present in the 70s and then for later editions, the 80s. It wasn't quite as easy to find them as it is to find their modern equivalents, but they'd still be findable with a trip to most local libraries.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AlbieQuirky posted:

The book High Weirdness By Mail, which was a Church of the Sub-Genius thing, is a great little overview of the strangest of the crazy zines and newsletters that abounded in pre-Internet days.

Man I'd been thinking of that too but hadn't remembered the name of it in ages. Thanks!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Haskell9 posted:

...a complete inability to accept criticism of any kind about anything. People like that regardless of groin plumbing do not end up in STEM colleges.

You clearly have never attended a STEM college any time in the past ever, lmbo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I just wanted to say that I remember the old old time of SA of 2000-2001 and when people were looking up otherkin stuff then to make fun of, it was literally all vampires and fairies and elves. For some reason there was nobody calling themselves otherkin who was calling themselves any kind of animal with the one exception of dragons - the otherkin communities would yell at the animal people for being furries and kick them out.

I just think that's funny, since apparently everyone who's an otherkin now is some sort of animal and I guess the vampire and elf dudes just hosed off to some other name.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Spiritual marriage to Sephiroth on the astral plane is a symptom of abuse/neglect coupled with potential untreated mental diseases (that are probably also symptoms of abuse).

Aren't a lot of the "spiritual/astral marriage" people just people who are really weird about masturbation normally, but have no problem with masturbating if they can tell themselves it's "astral sex"? Which isn't really from abuse that often.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoTapir posted:

Her independent entry is not that much of an immediate danger; her reading level isn't quite up to it. Just whether I should remind her that this thing exists, maybe pick out a few suitable stories. (Her current favorite thing is not very popular fanfic wise, and everything I've seen is fine.)

Uh, you have a very high opinion of the reading level of the typical fanfic I think. Unless you're saying she has some sort of reading problem in general? Which maybe that could be part of why she feels the need to claim various characters are totally her friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

froglet posted:

Harry Potter - wtf is Hermione doing with Ron? Ron is lazy, jealous and petty and she herself admits he has the 'emotional range of a teaspoon'.

Well she isn't with Ron for most of the books, and ends up with him when he saves her a few times in the last books and they're constantly together because of the conditions - especially when Hermione, Ron, and Harry are on the run for like a whole year, with Harry already being established with Ginny.

Ron also has a bit of character arc through the books of being something of a useless whiner into becoming a real hero who's more considerate and all that.

• Locked thread