Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

The current team is still pretty queer, and also a fair number of names I know to be nonwhite, including James himself on both counts. Plus, he wrote Aradia's PQ chapter and did heaps of music for the game, so it's not like he is completely divorced from the previous creative team, just unbound to their whims.
I mean the former staff was what, two trans women? That lets you focus a lot of hateful, pointed poo poo in a small space.

Roach’s team could be entirely queer, but being larger means that a lot of bullshit is spread out or maybe just gets directed to Roach given he’s playing the part of spokesperson for the team. And I have to imagine the whole question of harassment had to have come up when Hussie approached Roach with the idea of taking over the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Interesting! It's fine so far. My reaction just feels like someone posted a new fancomic though, it doesn't have the automatic investment the Epilogues/HS2 started with. I'm interested to see where it goes, but I'd want to see like, cool stuff, big moves, that set up what this project wants to be in its own right.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm so loving lost that I felt the need to start over from the beginning of Homestuck 2. Then I still felt lost, and kinda thought maybe I need to re-read the Epilogue, but I know where that leads and it's to re-reading all of Homestuck, so idk if I'm going to!!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It was fine. I didn't suffer through the Dirk-related bit.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GunnerJ posted:

I'm so loving lost that I felt the need to start over from the beginning of Homestuck 2. Then I still felt lost, and kinda thought maybe I need to re-read the Epilogue, but I know where that leads and it's to re-reading all of Homestuck, so idk if I'm going to!!

just wait for the thread final to change to "it's finally over, again" and catch up on homestuck^2 retroactively, assuming that state ever happens

(the thread title has been this since some time during act 6 right?)

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I'm really retroactively connecting more to the thematics of the dark souls series as I, too, live in a world where nothing ever dies.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I'm really retroactively connecting more to the thematics of the dark souls series as I, too, live in a world where nothing ever dies.

Homestuck's death was neither Heroic nor Just

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
It opens with the main character already bored of the comic so it's off to a good start.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Brb gonna go write a fanfic about Sollux playing the Donkey Kong Country trilogy.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

The patreon posted:

First and foremost, what a launch! Glad to be back. Thank you for all the well wishes, kind words and honest criticisms. The team and I are loving the energy. You have made us feel very welcome in a sometimes overwhelming space.

In a continuing effort to be as upfront as possible about things..

On the 30th of October, we are going to restart the Patreon. This was a sort of heavy decision that we understand may not sit well with some people so we want to be forward with you about it. We want to allow people the time to sort out whether they’d like to stay subscribed or not. Patreon exclusive content will be made public after a few months. This will consist of non-canonical one-shot comics, behind the scenes visual development, sketches, storyboards, writer/artist update commentary and a few other things that we will get into on the Patreon itself. I want this to be something you choose to do because you support what we’re doing, and never because you feel like parts of the comic are being withheld behind a paywall. The comic will still update on the main site as always.

So, how will this time be different? This might be a lot to read for those of you who are not interested in this, but I want to do things differently this time. I want to give the readers as much clarity as I can afford.

First up, we need to be very transparent about where the money is going. This time we are paying all of it to the HS:BC team. Unlike previous projects, we won’t have a larger absent entity dictating what is and isn’t necessary for us. This time there will be no third parties taking large percentages of money that could be paid to the people who contribute instead.

Every month, aside from basic operating expenses (web infrastructure, hosting costs), 100% of patreon funding will go directly to the HS:BC team. For the first few months 80% will be split up evenly among the current team of contributing members and technical crew. The remaining 20% will be used to backpay the current team several months of work done for this initial buffer of updates.

Secondly, the update schedule has been a hot ticket item of discussion. October will see two updates to get us started. After that the plan is to switch to one update a month while we continue to produce more and feel things out a bit. If we are able to get into a groove, we would like to increase this number. I do not want updates to be tied to how much money the patreon makes, though I won’t pretend It wouldn’t be nice to quit our day jobs and do this full time.

The team has been building a sizable backlog of pages, which is sort of a new thing for HOMESTUCK. All the hits are here: aspects, classes- you get it.  We have taken a lot of care in developing and resolving story beats and character arcs and making sure a lot of these things happen on screen. Though, some of these things will take time. We aren’t even out of Act 1 yet! A lot of passion has gone into continuing and evolving the story we have inherited by a group of people who care very much. And so far they have been doing it purely for the love of the game. In that regard, we truly are so back. 😲

After I have paid the team for this buffer and development time that number will change to a 95% even split revenue share with the HS:BC team. 5% each month will be saved in order to provide any capital for [S] pages, Albums, Merch, etc. The money made from those endeavors will still be paid to the individual artists. We can talk about a financial breakdown for that when the time comes, and if you still want to know. I do not mind.

For albums and merch I want to do a much fairer split than the current system. The money would go to the musicians and the artists. I do not have a company to run so there is no reason for me to make money off of contributing creatives, other than recuperating any costs (which shouldn’t really be much). This is something I would like to work out with people individually and I am slowly beginning outreach to the old music team so this may take a while. I am also interested in new blood in this capacity, so I’d love to hear from some fan music groups too. I will try and set up some channels for this in the coming months. There is a lot of work for us to do. Hm. I take it back. It truly is so over. 😒

I think that just about covers the plan. Here is the short version:

- The Patreon is coming back and will begin again starting November 1st.

- The money from this goes directly and entirely to the HSBC team.

- We operate independently from What Pumpkin and VIZ Media, and we will not be paying them.

- Another update will be coming in October.

- Starting in November, updates will be once a month while we feel things out.

- Small percentage going to [S] pages, merch, and more music.

We are going to be updating the reward tiers and will talk about that a little more in the future. We want to conclude the bonus update stories, but if and when we do that we will probably tackle the important threads from those in the main comic so that things don’t feel paywalled. Overall, I want to have more community involvement and engagement, and I think the first step towards crossing this bridge has to involve us being more open with the fans.
tl;dr: The Patreon is coming back; all content posted in it will be publically available for free within a few months; update schedule is currently set to once a month beginning next month. If updates become more frequent, it will be because they find a groove in their production pipeline and will be unrelated to where the patreon's at. No money is going to WP or Viz.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Next update presumably will be 10/25. Kinda weird they didn’t debut the relaunch on a Homestuck Number Day, but I guess you want to advertise that the comic is back so people have a reason to check on the site those days.

Gonna be weird buying Homestuck albums once again off Bandca- oh wait :smith:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

October 8th is a Homestuck D8y

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

quote:

Unlike previous projects, we won’t have a larger absent entity dictating what is and isn’t necessary for us.

Hard not to read this as saying "no more Yiffany incidents moving forward"

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Talk about getting to the Point.

I enjoy that it's both set up and explained in the same update there's a tracking-free chat client, so of course Jane knows everything John learned from Roxy because he's not using it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I also appreciate that, although she doesn't realize it yet, Vrissy's powers are superior to Vriska's in some respects.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I like the aesthetic and narrative choices here. Spritemode is good, second person perspective is good, and it'd be nice if these weren't just brief callbacks but part of the DNA of the story. Something I think really hurt HS2 on the first go-round was its tendency to get caught up in long periods of introspection without plot movement or action, and this update moves away from that. Not that those things aren't great - they are! - but you need some solid plot scaffolding to hang them off, I feel like.

Speaking of long periods of introspection, I've been reading TLCStuck recently. I think someone in here recommended it years ago? It's a finished fan adventure that's basically a Game Over fix-it fic, where instead of saving the world by bringing Vriska back, John just prevents Aranea from getting the Ring of Life, then the cast from just before Game Over attempt to finish the session while fixing their various interpersonal issues. It's pretty good!

I mention it because it reminds me of nothing so much as the recent chat in here about Candy - TLCStuck is a lot like that concept in the earnestly saccharine sense, without the ironic detachment of the Epilogues. It throws all the cast members together in long feelings jams about their problems, interspersed with them doing stuff like completing their planet quests and engaging with all the nerdy setting/worldbuilding stuff that was set up in the midpoint of the comic. The planet quest stuff is really well executed for the most part, and feels like Sburb lore from Act 4 or Act 5-1.

The character voices aren't always perfect and some of it drags (the Davesprite stuff especially gets to be too much for me, they really wanna give that guy his character arc back), but it's a better treatment of Jake and Jane than the comic itself ever managed, I think. I think it also handles the Terezi/Vriska thing better - I always thought that relationship had tonnes of potential but in Homestuck proper, we kinda just see it slammed together without much detail at the last minute. It's a good argument for fan work as something the source material could never be unless it was about 2,000 pages longer and also wrecked its pacing. If you love these characters, I think it's worth checking out!

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I read TLCstuck during a really long fanfic binge, and it solidified my opinion that most explicit “fix fics” for OG Homestuck’s last act just end up reaching the same conclusions as the original without as much elegance or humor. If you were into it, on the other hand, the “Crow Strider AU” on MSPFA is another attempt I know lots of people liked, though with rough ESL diction.

It is interesting how many of these kinds of stories are focused on Davesprite and/or Hal; I thought their trans-adjacent canon stories were pretty neat, myself, but while I almost never see sincere attempts at more satisfying endings with Jake and Jane, there’s a new one about the Other Striders showing up all the time. The one I usually recommend is “the run and go” by deserts, if you are still in your Strider feelings.

There are honestly a ton of great Homestuck fics out there, though they’re hard to find under the massive pile of stories about Karkat Vantas getting laid. I’ll have to dig up a list at some point.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

rko posted:

I read TLCstuck during a really long fanfic binge, and it solidified my opinion that most explicit “fix fics” for OG Homestuck’s last act just end up reaching the same conclusions as the original without as much elegance or humor. If you were into it, on the other hand, the “Crow Strider AU” on MSPFA is another attempt I know lots of people liked, though with rough ESL diction.

It is interesting how many of these kinds of stories are focused on Davesprite and/or Hal; I thought their trans-adjacent canon stories were pretty neat, myself, but while I almost never see sincere attempts at more satisfying endings with Jake and Jane, there’s a new one about the Other Striders showing up all the time. The one I usually recommend is “the run and go” by deserts, if you are still in your Strider feelings.

There are honestly a ton of great Homestuck fics out there, though they’re hard to find under the massive pile of stories about Karkat Vantas getting laid. I’ll have to dig up a list at some point.

People love the Striders, but I think often what they connect with most is the wounded soul within, so in fanworks you get that coming to the forefront over and over again, despite the dramatic power of that character beat lying in the fact that it's usually obscured behind an elaborate cool guy facade. The magic lies in getting both! I think the Dave/Davesprite/Dirk/Hal stuff in TLCStuck is maybe where the character voices are weakest overall, because they all deflect much less and explicitly address their character flaws much more - which is kind of the mission statement of the comic, but there's so much Strider stuff and so little defensive irony about it that it's a bit jarring.

Jake and Jane, on the other hand, yeah. I think both those characters in Homestuck proper kind of fall off a cliff, as if the narrative abruptly withdraws sympathy for or interest in them midway through Act 6 and never re-extends it. It's been really nice to read a fanwork where they have character arcs, their personalities from the first half of Act 6 exist again, and they're treated as protagonists instead of as weird narrative burdens lingering in the story after the author has said everything they want to say about them. Also just seeing the alpha kids doing stuff and coming together as a team - I always thought one immensely depressing element of the Epilogues is that everyone in that friend group but Roxy just wallows in their lowest point from Homestuck proper forever.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

rko posted:

I read this Crow Strider AU since this was posted, and I can see your point about it being one of the examples of coming to the same conclusion but circling the drain about it. And like in the other post, everyone seems to have no filter and just says how they feel and your first interaction with any of them is at the end of their character development. There's an aura of fakeness around everything being wrapped up in a neat package that's hard to escape.

I feel like a lot of people just didn't get closure from Homestuck and made their own closure, but a lot of the story beats that lead all these characters to their development happened before the fanfics were written. Hussie has a real skill of setting up all these issues and not immediately resolving them, and the sting readers feel of some of them never getting resolved is just a testament to how good he is setting them up. He spends a lot of time meandering in the early parts of the comic, but I feel like most writers just want to get to the point of what they're saying, so they never have quiet moments, they never have delays due to doubt, they never have extended periods of just seeing characters interact with things naturally. The characters in their heads are already built up and they just want to start at that point. You have to write someone doing evil things for a long time for it to be interesting to see how they change, or don't change. If they just show up suddenly "redeemed" then it's not as interesting.

I did appreciate some of the conversations that probably should have happened in OG Homestuck, and Jasprose, being an Ultimate Self, revealing she had Crow/Davesprite's Rose's memories meaning she was his Rose was very sweet, but at the end basically all the same things happened and as soon as the conflict is resolved, nothing really interesting happens anymore.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 30, 2023

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Upd8 is good.

Gotta say, also, as someone whose depression has gotten much worse since college (and much better since it's worst but still,) ow Vriska. Ow.

VRISKA: You're like a sadder, less interesting version of a guy I kind of liked talking to. When was the last time you did........ anything?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Only six pages deep and this is excellent. It's so nice to see Jake get some time that isn't just bagging on the character's worst traits in a weird ritual humiliation of a fictional guy. He has positive traits too! He can be a silly guy! Love it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think there was originally a point to the narrative's pointed hate-boner for Jake and Tavros, but I think as the franchise stretched on it long outlived its purpose.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I think there was originally a point to the narrative's pointed hate-boner for Jake and Tavros, but I think as the franchise stretched on it long outlived its purpose.

Yeah agreed. There was a thesis there, and it's interesting: the value of being soft-hearted and good-natured vs. the value of being competent, and Homestuck falls pretty heavily on the side of "competence is more valuable than good intentions" and mines some really interesting character work out of this. Vriska is to Tavros as Dirk is to Jake as (in the most extreme case) Caliborn is to Calliope, and the characters on the "competent, determined rear end in a top hat" side of that dynamic are fascinating and fun because of it. There's also just larger thematic stuff there - is achievement or intention more important? Is it better to be active and morally dubious, or passive and "good" - and if you're too passive, can you even meaningfully be a good person at all?

But after a while it felt like an echo of itself: there was no longer anything to say there, it was just the gag that Jake/Tavros sucks and their existing characterisation was kind of scribbled over for the sake of that gag. The positive parts of them, the kindness or sensitivity, that made that dynamic compelling, were pulled away until only thin caricatures were left, and especially so in the post-canon stuff.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, there's that, but I was really thinking about the disconnect between what's said about a character like Jake and the traits that he actually has if you pay attention to his own words and actions.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Damnit where's the link to the site with the most recent updates? I'm being dumb and sleepy and can't find it.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Homestuck2.com, and bookmark the "log" link at the top. I can't remember how I used to get to the latest unread page before, I think I just replaced my bookmark each time with the last page I read.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Duodecimal posted:

Homestuck2.com, and bookmark the "log" link at the top. I can't remember how I used to get to the latest unread page before, I think I just replaced my bookmark each time with the last page I read.

ta, chief.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Saving and loading still work, you just have to click "options" first.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I don't trust cookies to persist long enough for it to be usable for me, with all these privacy and security settings I run with.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Question for you all: what's a story you've read/watched/played that you find most similar to Homestuck? For me it's One Piece: another modern epic with impressive scale creep, a knack for extracting real emotional gravitas from what at first appears to be a joke, jarring intrusions of real celebrities into the cartoon world (eg the marine admirals), irrepressible clowns, and a sense of grand conspiracy that coincides with a sort of in-built distrust of its own narrative... among other things

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing
It's not that similar in tone, but Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint has a similar overarching plot and some of the themes and motifs are the same.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Undertale. And Deltarune.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Samovar posted:

Undertale. And Deltarune.

True. I dig how Flowey offering to shoot a sad child with lethal "friendliness pellets" and Kanaya threatening to sic a gun-toting Hope Wizard on a dream-suicidal Rose are similar jokes

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
All Night Laundry followed on the reader-guided plot format and had some themes in common regarding fighting fate and what is identity when time travel is involved.

Oh, and trying wacky things to save lives involving space-time. Trying to game the system when the system is out to get you.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

New Beyond Canon update, I'm actually in love with this now. Some really good character work that takes the goofy gag scenario from the end of Candy seriously and is like, "alright, what would that be like?"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dave and Aradia are such a power couple. I love how they both fail to understand each other's powers even though they are exactly the same simply because they have such different priorities.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

It's somewhat reassuring to note that museJade suddenly passing out two months ago amounted to all of Jack and poo poo. That probably sounded sarcastic but building suspense and tension only for the payoff to be narratively insignificant is how Homestuck does.

Also, the news post says that the HICU will be endorsing next year's SAHcon and openly collaborating with the Homestuck/Hiveswap subreddit. Looks like James was serious about being more hands-on with the online fandom community.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I don't know if I can excuse the "well that just happened" even if it is ironic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Seems like the payoff was Davebot getting out of his funk, at least a lil bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There was a news update on the 1st.

Main bullet point is that VIZ is still under contract with Hussie, but things have been renegotiated to give James and his team options for HS2. No concrete details, but it confirms that Hussie still owns Homestuck as an IP. There is talk of an EP for the first four volumes of the Homestuck Soundtrack.