Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, I'm unreasonably excited for this flash. Two months seemed a lot longer than that!

...anyone else tempted to youtube a homestuck flash reaction video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm trying to remember all the stuff that is left hanging. We've got the exiles in the future doing something with the statues/vehicles/artifacts. We've got the White King ready to pop up somewhere. We've got the stuff with WV and the ring. Plus all the stuff brought up recently....

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Eyes are a big thing in this flash. Everybody's irises are huge, and the flash is full of knowing or worried glances between characters and glares of intense concentration. Go look. It's really noticeable.

The fact that Dave's and Rose's eyes are obscured after they God Tier is the only reason that I lend any credence to the theories that they are now puppets of Lord English.

Of course, it could be, as mentioned, that it's just to make them look more like their guardians. Rose's eyes are covered and Dave's mouth is drawn tiny. But when we do see Dave's mouth, he's got a tiny frown, which seems an odd expression to have in the situation. Hrm.

I totally don't get the "Aradia is evil" talk, though. She spent the whole troll adventure complaining to herself and others how she was a slave to various forces, from fate to the whispers of Horrorterrors. The whole point of her joy at coming back to life was that she is happy to be alive and finally have some free will again. For her to give that up to Lord English, or to have been an agent all along, seems very unlikely to me.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 26, 2011

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Grandpa got shot to death, remember?

Grandpa's timeline is slightly crazy:

- Grew up under batterwitch (are we ever going to find out what the deal was here?)
- Ran off with faithful dog to adventure!
- Becomes a multi-discipline billionaire.
- Adopts baby Jade.
- [Somehow] goes to the medium, years before sburb is a reality, and flies a big-rear end ship around.
- [Somehow (meteor portal?)] returns to Earth, bringing stuffed Dreamjade with him and lots of skaia-tech.
- Dies to Tavros-and-Bec powered gunshot.
- Get stuffed and sits in the living room for a few years.
- Teleported to Earth orbit.
- Blown up when the entire universe explodes.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Do we even know if the tadpole survived the Forge?

My impression is that what you're supposed to do is take it to the battleground, enter the planet, and in the place of the Tumor is instead a spot where you place the tadpole, transforming the entire planet into a giant egg with births Bilious Slick.

So it's not so much that Karkat gave kid universe cancer, it's that he gave it a parasite; it highjacked the universe's reproductive system to create more of itself. (Or, more specifically, temporally-reacharound and create itself).

Assuming the tadpole survives, I'm wondering if this story is going to end with twin Bilious Slicks (from the current tadpole and the one from the new version of the universe) both "hatching", providing both the old guard and the new versions a universe to call their own.

What I'm curious about, at the moment, is if the new version of the kid universe will be largely similar (with the kids and parents switched), or if, like the Troll universe scratch, it results in a much more bloodthirsty place.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

marsattacks posted:

I still think it's Hussie.

Hussie's author-insert explicitly told us it wasn't him.

YggiDee posted:

I've said it once, and I'll say it again; Big Cal.

I think this is a likely choice, but...

I'm a little weirded out by the strange Jade hints. Mostly because they don't make any sense. She's not a pimp, she's not a time master, she's not a He.

But...

- So, Lord English is "born" as the two universes are destroyed and the Green Sun is created. Who else was "created" at just about that moment? God-Tier Jade. She became a new entity with more power (God Tier + Sprite + First Guardian) than any other character we've seen, save perhaps Lord English.
- When Jadesprite talked, she used a green font and large lettering, just like Lord English.
- Jadesprite's creation is being watched by Gamzee/Cal at the same time that the Green Sun is being created. Circumstantially simultaneous, or whatever Doc Scratch called it?
- She's got that whole grow/shrink things power, which would help with the over-sized coat.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

John can't really met anyone so far, until now:

- Jade was dead the first time.
- Rose was possessed by the horrorterrors or whatever and couldn't talk.
- Somehow hasn't run into any of the eleven iterations (plus Davesprite and doomed Daves) of Dave that were running around.

Poor guy.

Speaking of meeting up now, I really wish, even though the joke is well and truely over with, we still a 'pose like a team' panel when the trolls reach the Green Sun. Because poo poo has actually gotten pretty real.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Huh. I just realized that if John and Jade are going directly to the New Kid Universe, and the new universe does follow the presumed pattern of switching kids and guardians, but otherwise follows a roughly-similar timeline, then the "new" John and Jade will have died before the story started.

None of that messy "meeting yourself" nonsense.

^ I'd like to see the story switch entirely to "new game" mode, but have all these background gags and snippets that mean we know the old characters are still around, without the new characters realizing it. At least for a time.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 27, 2011

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jazu posted:

Did Hussie actually say that?

Yep:

quote:

Her dream self died, but she brought it back to life by prototyping the stuffed corpse in her grandpa’s lab, making Jadesprite. So, she did in fact have a living dream self, so option #1 was available. This had the side effect of turbo charging her god tier state. She not only has the Witch of Space powers and immortality, she merged with the sprite, which was imbued with Bec’s powers. She now has the abilities of a god tier player, a sprite, and a first guardian all in one.

http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/post/11975241895/about-eoa5-part-4

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alectai posted:

Actually, they've got a good out for Vriska to show up alive and well based on Hussie's explanation of what was going on.

[Beta Timeline Vriska follows the Green Sun light]

Only problem with this: People from Beta timelines are doomed, remember? Only reason Beta-Dave survived is that he immediately self-prototyped into Davesprite.

So unless Vriska does something similar to break the rules, or Hussie rules that her luck-powers keeps the Doom at bay, or she is just constant resurrecting due to God Tier, she can't return to the story that way.

Besides, her story is mostly over, I think.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Even with a map, Hussie said in his tumblr that Dave and Rose were basically warping at random through time as they went. Which both explains how they showed up before the creation of the Green Sun, and why they made the journey so "quickly".

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, considering this is the last act, and I think at one point Hussie said Act 6 would be more of an epilogue than anything...

...is it possible they're not even going to fight Lord English?

Maybe they're just going to accept him as a universal constant, find a universe where he doesn't exist / deliberately jump to a Beta Timeline where he isn't summoned, and just live.

I mean, I'm not saying it's likely, but maybe we're assuming too much that there's going to be a giant, DMK-style final-boss fight.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It was an intentionally misleading conversation, but if we want to handwave it after the fact, current Gamzee, while no longer murder-raging, is probably a very different person than the drug-addled idiot that Karkat knew.

He "was" Karkat's best friend. Now Karkat doesn't know what he is.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The horrorterrors work with the Derse players, so I'm inclined to think they're a part of the preexisting architecture, not something added in, like Lord English.

Aliens can appear in all shapes and forms, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're former players of one type or the other.

My supposition is that Horrorterror land is where you are supposed to go when you Scratch and don't escape the way the kids did.

Who better to guide current players than a whole bank of people who can tell you what mistakes not to do?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

To get off the Lord English topic for a moment, I've been thinking about the rebooted session that John and Jade are (presumably) headed for. (Off-topic: Assuming the window they exit out of it is still normal sized, they will probably be flying around in a very tiny battleship until Jade chooses to upscale them. That should be fun.)

I'm thinking about how we presume everything will be 'same but different' for this new cast. Guardians and Kids switch places, that sort of thing.

...so in this 'same but different' session, who is going to be bothering the new kids? It's probably not going to be the trolls, since they're either dead or otherwise occupied for now.

I'm wondering if it's going to John and Jade "trolling" the guardian-kids.

Think about if someone claiming to be your dead grandfather or grandmother from an alternate reality messaged you out of the blue one day and tried to strike up a conversation. And talked about nothing but world-dooming video games. Yeah.

Thundarr posted:

^^^ God-tier Karkat will shooshpap Lord English into oblivion. It is his destiny.

...he's going to have a Friendship Aneurysm?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Who says anyone has to be bothering them? While the trolls were a useful device for providing information the kids wouldn't have otherwise had, and interesting characters, there's nothing to suggest that communications like that are in any way a normal feature of the game.

Nothing says that anyone has to be bothering them, but:

a) Hussie is all about patterns and circumstantial symmetry and stuff. If the original four kids were constantly being trolled, it's pretty likely that the rebooted versions will be, too, just in a different way.
b) If no one talks to the new kids, how are they going to get involved in the story?

I'm assuming, of course, that if we do start the next chapter from the perspective of the new kids, that it'll start from Day 1, like the comic did.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

dumb brunette posted:

Hey I have a question unconnected to Lord English stuff:

Was the horse painting always on this page? I could have sworn it wasn't ... :raise:

Pretty sure it was. Hussie owns that painting in real life, and finds it hilarious because of how terrible it is.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

DocFrance posted:

This is not a known fact.

Nanna, in her text chat with FedoraFreak, mentioned "starting a family", which usually implies having a kid the normal way.

quote:

pipefan413: Besides, now was not the time to revisit a destiny with an old star-crossed lover. She had recently become betrothed to a fine, upstanding gentleman. Soon, she would start a family.

So it's not a known fact, but it can be assumed, I think.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cheeseball IV posted:

Side note on that picture, I love how Kanaya manages to be ~*fashionable*~ in any and all situations.

I'm marveling at how well that image would work as a phenomenal prank if you somehow posted it a year ago. It really showcases how much poo poo has happened to the trolls in the last year.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Guys, I just saw a picture of someone cosplaying that security guard who got freaked out by Homestuck cosplayers.

I...

I think Homestuck has gotten too meta, even for me.

I'm going to go lie down.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mortal Sword posted:

I like the way Book 1 has turned out, but I may be biased.

I'm not really allowed to discuss specifics before the books are out

Not sure if you can answer this, but does it feature Hussie commentary like the Problem Sleuth books do?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Awesome. Thanks for the answer.

Now to start brainstorming things to get Andrew to draw, in case he offers that option again.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tollymain posted:

I was just messing around just now with a friend, and we realized that a lot of the impact of the bloodier troll scenes is lost due to the colors. It looks really hosed up when you 'shop that stuff red. The asteroid is a freaking charnelhouse.

The only time the blood color thing is more effective with different colors is also during the 'k8ll m8' scene.

Vriska is making Tavros write the words over and over in her blood so much that at some point his finger is rubbed raw and the words turn brown as his finger starts bleeding.

I mean, jeez.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So. We're rapidly approaching the 11th here.

I hope we start things off with a conversation. We haven't gotten one for a bit now, after all.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

...So what's up with that really beat up Dad hat that Jane has?

Silly prediction: The bunny is going to get passed though the ownership of all new four kids again, somehow. That's how it can both be on Jane's bed and also being worked on by young Grandpa.

Also: Is there writing on that little monsters poster? It looks scribbled on.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 11, 2011

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm going to speculate, based on the pattern of Jane's version of John (probably) being dead, that the Batterwitch has quietly killed off every member of her "family" once they've gotten old enough to bear children. That way, no one notices that an unaging non-human is running the company. John is/was entirely too happy-go-lucky to have seen something like that coming!

Just like John thought his dad was a street jester when he was a serious businessman, Jane is a big fan of of Betty Crocker when, this whole time, she's been killing off her family!

FewtureMD posted:

Jake has a thing for blue ladies. :roflolmao:

Never stop, Hussie.

Best joke of the new updates so far. drat it, Hussie, never stop being awesome.

Seoinin posted:

I hope he's just an earnest dude who really digs ventriloquism.

Nah, we need to update his puppet obsession for the 21st century he grew up in. He's going to "ironically" like Jeff Dunham and his lovely, racist puppets or something.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

creationist believer posted:

I'm not saying the meteors went to post-scratch Earth instead of pre-scratch Earth, I meant they go to both. Like, when the 8 meteors hit each of the portals, a copy of the baby and the artifact it was riding on went to both pre-scratch and post-scratch Earth. The babies then grow up with different lives. In pre-scratch, the kids grow up to play Sburb and create themselves and then scratch the session. In post-scratch, the guardians grow up to play Sburb and would seed the universe for LE if they scratched it again.

I don't think my hypothesis explains Nanna talking about climbing her echeladder at all :11tea:

You realize, if the same meteors go to both pre- and post- scratch Earth, that Jack rode one of those meteors down. The Frog Temple one that also held the King and Dave's copy of the beta and stuff.

...But that would probably be too confusing, so I don't know what the gently caress.

Arrhythmia posted:

What I want to know is what's up with the new kids and all the mentions of plants. Jane loves gardening, but that was always really Jade's thing, wasn't it? Not John's? And why is Jack's house covered in evil plants?

John and Jade are the genetic results of Grandpa and Grandma. Thematically, it makes sense that Jane and Jake have a mix of John and Jade's interests.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

tentawesome posted:

Does this mean that Dadbert is around? :f5:

What...what if the Dad of this universe is new equivalent to Doc Scratch?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I asked him about the Bartle Test, because I am a bad person, and want him to introduce another complex concept to attach to the card suits.

quote:

The Bartle Test classifies players of multiplayer online games into categories based on their gaming preferences.

"Diamonds" are players who prefer to gain "points," levels, equipment and other concrete measurements of succeeding in a game. They will go to great lengths to achieve rewards that confer them little or no gameplay benefit simply for the prestige of having it.

"Spades", for their tendency to dig around, are players who prefer discovering areas, creating maps and learning about hidden places. They often feel restricted when a game expects them to move on within a certain time, as that does not allow them to look around at their own pace. They find great joy in discovering an unknown glitch or a hidden easter egg.

"Clubs" is a very accurate moniker for what the Killer likes to do. They thrive on competition with other players, and prefer fighting them to scripted computer-controlled opponents.

"Hearts" choose to play games for the social aspect, rather than the actual game itself. They gain the most enjoyment from a game by interacting with other players, and on some occasions, computer-controlled characters with personality. The game is merely a tool they use to meet others in-game or outside of it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think people are overthinking the whole scratch 'where did the various people come from' thing.

The simple (for Hussie) explanation, is that the original John (the one we know) made boths the kids and guardians, as shown, in the first session.

Then those babies were put on meteors and shot off into portals.

Now, whether or not we're talking pre- or post- scratch Earth, those meteors showed up. The only difference is the chronological order they showed up.

That's why everyone still has the stuff John gave to the babies.

The 'glitch', as mentioned, is that, were this session to continue as 'normal', the new Heroes would never create themselves. They'd know they showed up on meteors, but would have no explanation where they came from.

Now, whether Lord English is Already Here or not? We don't know that yet.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

QueerPope posted:

Oh man! When Jade and John crash into this universe, their going to be a really really tiny ship in Jake's bedroom aren't they, like the size of a fly. And then Jade's gonna fly the thing outside and make the thing huge again and Jake is gonna be super-freaking out.

Well, %KidName% LaLonde's bedroom. She's the one who had the ectobiology lab and 4th wall in the Act 6 opening flash.

And Jake, like Jade in the previous session, is the one who "knows stuff", so he wouldn't be the one to freak out anyway.

But, yes, tiny battleship. :3

dumb brunette posted:

Reset Mom is going to be one of those giggly insufferable girls you knew in high school that gossiped about everybody and talked in txtspk terms aloud and is girly as hell. The passive aggressive-offs were all in Rose's head. Mom was just that loving and genuine.

I'm having a hard time reconciling "txtspk" and "has a science lab", but maybe it's possible...

...drunken science?

Hjalmar posted:

The very fact that you called him Poppop tells me you're not ready.

I hope at some point, after John shows up, Jane tries to hide him in the attic, possibly to keep her Dad from finding him.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Perhaps, just for fun, Hussie is going to associate each kid with one of the villains of the story.

Jake has a Lord English name/computer/color scheme.

Jane has a Troll Queen name/computer/weapon.

kid-Bro will probably be even more obsessed with Lil Cal than he was in the main timeline.

kid-Mom...I dunno. Who is left? Jack Noir? I'm not sure how he'd fit in.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

KoB posted:

Judging from Jake's frog temple, it seems to know that there will be 8 players. The temple looks to have 8 pillars to correspond to this.

Which page are you getting that from? I can't seem to find it.

The flash only shows 3 pillars (with a presumed 4th pillar behind the camera)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The other possibility we may not be considering is that UU is lying.

I mean, "she" claims to be just starting her session, but she knows a bunch of "spoilers", and appears to be typing from an Exile station, which makes no sense for a current game player.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I wonder who is attempting to kill Jane. It's probably not Betty Crocker / the Troll Queen, since, you know, it would be pretty easy for her to do that.

It's interesting, though, that Jane considers the Batterwitch mythical. With grandpa-John dead, does that mean Dad is hypothetically in charge of the company?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Edit: ^ That's creepy.

Guessing there's going to be more parallels between Dave and kidMom.

Dave never heard the horrorterrors because he wore his sunglasses, but was apparently Awake from the beginning.

Guessing we'll have some call-back to that with kidMom's drinking. Either she'll be so blackout drunk that she never dreams, or, to go the other way, she's so out of her head that she's partially asleep, and, thus, sorta like Jade, knows stuff.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Completely silly thought: Would a technology-inclined alcoholic have a use for magnetic wodka?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Boneless Jogger posted:

True, I guess it's a question of how fast the pace will be for the earlier parts of the act. He didn't do it with the Trolls, but there aren't 12 characters to go through this time so who knows.

The trolls did get new stuff, but it was almost always off-camera. (Like Feferi's trident being upgraded with brains in the Make Her Pay flash). Off the top of my head, the only on-screen upgrade we saw was Karkat upgrading his sickle.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

*Jake approaches kernelsprite with loved one's remains in hand*

*pre-scratch kids and trolls appear out of nowhere*

"It's cool dude WE GOT THIS"

*Vriska's corpse is thrown into kernel*

...prototyping every enemy with the only character shown to have even a chance against Jack Noir one-on-one. And who has mind-control powers.

Yeah, this'll work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of Problem Sleuth, can someone who posts on the MSPA forums or whatever let Hussie know that his font update broke the accented letters?

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=4&p=001049