Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Senethro posted:

Didn't Doc Scratch have some intervention in Kanaya's early life? I remember some panel of half-pint Kanaya standing next to the legs of a green suit. She got a mention in one of his parables to Rose as well.

Yeah, Doc Scratch woke her up early on Prospit and implied that spending time in the sun as a child led to her glowing in the dark as a rainbow drinker. It's still very unexplained but heavily implied :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Well Manicured Man posted:

edit: here, not quite what I thought he said, but it still implies that Scratch had something to do with it. I think.

That particular sequence especially suffers from the patented Doc Scratch possibly telling the truth but he's speaking in hypotheticals so who knows style. I imagine he did have a hand in Kanaya's vampire resurrection but I wouldn't take any of his hypotheticals as absolute fact. He doesn't lie but Scratch deceives when he can.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Fat_Cow posted:

So about the horrorterrors. Do you think they well maybe help stop LE?

The Horrorterrors are really one of the biggest question marks left. They could be favoring LE, they could be favoring the kids/trolls, they could somehow be working in favor of both or only themselves. Apparently they're crying out because they're being slaughtered and that's a detriment to the perpetuation of reality itself.... But that's just what we hear from Rose and who knows if they're telling the truth or Rose's interpretation is accurate.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
The scratch resets everyone who is in the Medium and the Universe. The kids were all presumably outside the Scratch's influence so they weren't reset. So there'll be a new post-reset version of all our heroes existing at the same time that the pre-reset ones do. It's assumed that the new post-scratch universe will involve a similar ancestor-player reversal that the troll session did, resulting in Grandpa Harley as Jade's grandson who somehow becomes Jade's penpal.

Eiba posted:

It's interesting that, considering how time works in the Furthest Ring, it's quite possible that whatever's killing the Horrorterros hasn't gotten there yet from our perspective. Like, it could be Jack, who heads out there the same way the trolls just did. He does like to kill things, after all, and after destroying two universes (in two different incarnations, but still), he might as well start in on the meta-universe, which seems to be mostly horrorterrors.

Alternately there's some twist where the trolls or kids start killing them. Or they're casualties in whatever the final boss battle is. In any case, I bet whatever it is we're going to see it start.

Ross did say that whatever was killing them happened in the past, now, and in the future, or something like that.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

The reason I'm pretty sure there will be reset adult versions of the kids is that J refers to Jade as his grandmother.

Personally, my issue is that J = post-reset Grandpa Harley has been the obvious answer for so long, and it's only been reinforced by the story of the player-ancestor reversal of the trolls. It feels like a setup like Scratch's "My guest is already here. Of course it's Spades Slick, who did you expect?" I kind of think it's a distaction, or at least right in an obvious way and wrong in an important way.

Edit: Cal is so creepy and unsettling he's the only source of evil I wouldn't question.

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 31, 2011

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

So I guess Jade just left the entire population of Derse to be erased :(

She left Prospit too. Jack only destroyed the moon right?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

FewtureMD posted:

You rang?

For content, I really hope that if Hussie gives us a reset SBURB session with the post-Scratch reset kids, he throws in some alchemizing shenanigans, to better flesh out these "new" characters.

There's a decent chance that this'll be the Christmas update!

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

EB: excuse me, it is called the wrinkle fucker, and it is totally amazing.

I like this one. Or:

EB: jade, what if they get married or something???
EB: oh god, if rose became my sister too, that would wreak HAVOC on karkat's shipping diagram!

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Boogaleeboo posted:

That's easy, he'd look completely non-derpy if he was saying something completely derpy with total sincerity at the time.

Yeah, he says things like "who cares what i dress like? it is what's inside the adventurer that counts." and "also, there is always hope for someone who has good friends to count on!" with a straight face.

I think the curtains in [S] Seer: Descend might foreshadow the start of Act 6. There were curtains representing Acts 1-4, 5.1 and 5.2 that you open, a big giant record representing the scratch, then 5 already open green curtains and then you open the sixth green curtain. My guess is that means act 6 would start in the post-scratch universe already progressed up to this point in the storyline, whatever point in the post-scratch universe would correspond with "now". Maybe the kid-guardians fighting the Black King about to succeed in their session. Or maybe that was Hussie's plan for Act 6 eight months ago and now he feels like fleshing out 4 new characters, who knows? v:v:v

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Haha, I get why he backdated the update to be on Halloween. [S] Midnight Crew: Act 1031

Edit: Which, funnily enough, was also posted on 11/02.

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 2, 2011

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Tw1tchy posted:

As my friend pointed out. Look what's on the ground http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005109

:gonk:

Jade's grandpa had a bunch of sarcophagi. LE's had a creepy Terminator-ish skull on it though, which that one and none of the others in Jade's house had from what I can find.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Aradia said t1ck/t0ck was a binary refrain, it's supposed to be a whole 0/1 gimmick and Tavros's typing quirk wouldn't fit that. And only t1ck/t0ck was the pair of sounds emerging from the tyrant's menace said to accompany his demise, not 8r8k/h34ds or honkHONK. It's just a Captain Hook reference I think. Scratch was missing a leg, not an arm anyways.

What caused them all to write these codes is just as mysterious as Rose's MEOW code.

Random thoughts: Rose/Dave type in the same color as the symbol on their shirt whereas John/Jade type in each others. Retroactive foreshadowing that John/Jade will swap guardians or be the only ones to switch places with their guardians? Also, someone suggested 11/11/11 might mean there'll be 3 11 year old kids in the post scratch universe... What about the fourth? Dave/Bro...! :ohdear:

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Dolash posted:

The universe stuff in particular I'm confused about. If anyone could help explain/explain that we don't know yet?

Imagine you've got a video tape (remember those?) of the movie Armageddon starring Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck. You can watch it, rewind it, fastforward it and pick any moment in the movie to watch since you're not on the tape. Say your dog chews up the tape. It still plays but the last half hour of the movie is destroyed. You can still watch the movie up until then though! However, I notice that Weekend at Bernie's starring Terry Kiser is on and want to record it. I don't have any blank tapes so I tape over Armageddon with it. The last half hour of Weekend at Bernie's will still cut out since the external damage to the tape is still there. Same tape, it just had different movies on it at different moments in time from an external viewpoint.

Universes work the same way.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm guessing Zillyhoo.

On a different note, you can all pack it in, because I figured out how Jaspers died.

No, Zillyhoo costs a zillion of whatever that grist is.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Hussie will find some way to pay for Olive Garden in exchange for dildoes.

Edit: To be serious though, I don't see any point in that even from a lovely "for the lulz" perspective. Dude wrote Humanimals, he's not gonna be all weirded or creeped out. I imagine he'll just think that's dumb and throw them out. Congrats to 4chan on wasting $270?

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 4, 2011

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
If you crush your grandmother to death with one joke book this year, crush her with Colonel Sassacre's Daunting Text of Magical Frivolity and Practical Japery.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Now we can all argue all night about whether or not Homestuck competes with the works of Shakespeare or not, but clearly Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff exceeds the Bard's story telling capabilities.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

FunkyAl posted:

Had it been created 90 years prior, SBaHJ would not be out of place in a museum.

I just hope I live long enough to see "How high do you even have to be??????" given as an essay prompt in high school English classes across America.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Supercar Gautier posted:

The most tweaking would be with the interactive segments, with a limited selection of conversations and events being presented in a more standard, static form. But that's nothing to lose sleep over.

But just look at the opening for act 3. There's a lot that you can miss there but it's all recreated as static panels during act 3 so that the reader gets what happened. The model is there. The act of finding Easter eggs obviously won't translate to a book but otherwise I think the interactive bits are just icing on the cake, not the cake itself.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Supercar Gautier posted:

I was referring more to [S] Past Karkat: Wake Up, which is still the most sprawling interactive flash. Andrew may well choose to print every single conversation, but I think he'll more likely stick to the essentials.

I dunno... The conversations in that are either important or short enough to not be a problem to include. I feel like you could get the essence of [S] Past Karkat: Wake Up in a book by excluding all the chests and leave the conversations. Even the future Terezi stuff could be stuck in like it was a regular update I think.

I've been trying to get my friend into Homestuck the last 5 months and he really went through acts 1 through 4 in basically one streak, and then slowed down through act 5. It seems like the troll typing quirks and the "effort" involved in the walk arounds has been getting to him. I guess it's just a thing that what interests me and drives me on won't appeal to someone else. He reached [S] Kanaya: Return to the Core and tried to just speed through the conversations in it when I was in "check everything for hidden clues" mode when I first saw it. I hope he appreciates [S] Seer: Descend since that was absolutely my favorite update until Cascade.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

YF-23 posted:

Wasn't Jade's grandpa's body in Jade's house which was on LOFAF?

No, it was teleported into space along with all the other junk in Jade's living room by Bec.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

gowb posted:

It's never officially stated, but I think the reasoning is that Bec is a dog with godlike powers, but still just has the mind of a dog. He wasn't thinking about the consequences of prototyping himself, probably just some mystical attraction to the kernalsprite due to his genetic origin as part of the game.

The trolls are all in a lab on a meteor in The Veil. It's the same lab that Karkat created all the paradox slime wigglers of themselves, like John did. That's what the big grey room was. They aren't beyond time or anything like that. They're just in a different universe than the kids so they have a different timeline than the kids universe.

The cause of the rift is still unknown at the point you're at in the story. Keep in mind that wasn't a direct sequence of events. Jack doesn't directly go to the troll session through the rift after inheriting the first guardian powers, it happens later. Vriska explains her motivation in a conversation pretty soon after where you are.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if any other questions, since it's hard to figure this all out on your own.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

YF-23 posted:

Is it possible he may also be omniscient and did it because he knew he had to to keep the timeline in the alpha? Or was that just Scratch, since he was prototyped with the magic cue ball?

It specifically says here that a first guardian is omniscient when merged with a host of great intelligence, which a dog wouldn't count as.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Well Manicured Man posted:

11/11/11 is just a really popular date. It's like a super-palindrome or something.

I think the beginning of Act 6 will show the Scratched universe and also maybe Lord English doing something evil.

I'm kind of expecting (hoping for) a walk around flash. Acts 2 and 4 started with one so obviously all even acts will. It would be a neat way to introduce the post scratch versions of the kids/guardians if that's what Act 6 is gonna start with.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Gabriel Pope posted:

I would be surprisingly okay with this, but as soon as we hit Act 5 Part 2 Redux I am loving outta here.

I would love it. Month-long waits for universe shattering updates are cool and all, but I'd be pretty happy with daily updates about silly mundane things like sylladex shenanigans and passive aggressive one-upmanship right now.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

YF-23 posted:

I dunno, I don't really think the Earth's now inhabited by both humans and trolls. Besides, Jane only has one disc on her desk instead of a client/server pair.

She doesn't have the disk yet; it's supposed to come in the mail. That's the respected periodical GAME GRL sitting on her desk.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Haha, I just noticed Jane drew a mustache on Dr. Manhattan. And a :B smiley on the Swanson poster.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Zorak posted:

I wonder what prompted her not doing so in the previous session? She supposedly died sometime in the past, but we never did learn how. It's a bit strange, given that she's purportedly immortal at that point.

Crocker never died, Nanna just said that she disappeared. It's entirely possible she came upon some timeline hopping technology and went to the post-scratch universe.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Um, is this one of the posters on Jake English's wall?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

JT Jag posted:

Jake being named English scares me and I am positive it will mean something very bad, though not necessarily for Jake himself. I feel it might be foreshadowing regarding Jade.

At least BEING LOCKED IN A ROOM hasn't been listed as anyone's hobbies yet.

I'm really worried that this could be Mom or post-scratch Rose's fate, since the room Aradia's ancestor was locked in had the same bed that Mom had.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Jeez I'm dumb. I was sitting there thinking "He has so many knight and mummy themed posters! What significance could that have?"

:downs: Grandpa Harley collected mummies and knights.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Lupus Rufus posted:

It seems that the artifacts the kids rode with in their baby meteors are appearing in this universe though: Jane's rabbit (which I suspect is the one Jade came with) and John's joke book are both present. This leaves one question: where are John and Jade?

We've seen all the ghost slime baby artifacts so far except for Maplehoof; dual flintlocks, Dream Cal, Vodka Mutini, un-knitted bunny (in the wizard outfit), knitted bunny (in the fedora), Dad's dirty hat, and Colonel Sassacre's book. I don't know what this means.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Tollymain posted:

That charred hat on Jane's dresser probably indicates his current status.

It's just this hat though!

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Based on the existence of the presence of almost all of the artifacts that the ghost slime babies rode back with, I think it's possible that the portals of the pre-scratch reckoning somehow sent the paradox babies to both pre-scratch Earth and post-scratch Earth. That is, the players in this session didn't spawn in this session, like the pre-scratch trolls. This is Lord English's calling card, but this timeline won't have Lord English or Doc Scratch in it. A scratched version of it will/would. I think the conflict in this act could be Jane, Jake, Bro, and Mom unwittingly stumbling toward redoing the scratch while the pre-scratch heroes are working to prevent it.

Basically, LE couldn't enter the kid's universe and the glitch that allows him to enter the scratched universe weren't there. Doc Scratch arranged a scratch in a session that didn't really need it so that there would be a post-scratch universe that does have the glitch. When this universe is scratched, LE would have another universe to enter.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Gabriel Pope posted:

It's an interesting theory, and explains some stuff like Nanasprite obliquely talking about having played The Game in her youth. But there were definitely 8 meteor babies that hit Earth.

I'm not saying the meteors went to post-scratch Earth instead of pre-scratch Earth, I meant they go to both. Like, when the 8 meteors hit each of the portals, a copy of the baby and the artifact it was riding on went to both pre-scratch and post-scratch Earth. The babies then grow up with different lives. In pre-scratch, the kids grow up to play Sburb and create themselves and then scratch the session. In post-scratch, the guardians grow up to play Sburb and would seed the universe for LE if they scratched it again.

I don't think my hypothesis explains Nanna talking about climbing her echeladder at all :11tea:

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 12, 2011

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Edit: ^^^ Doesn't have to be ALL the meteors got sent both ways... Just the ones with the babies on them.

Arrhythmia posted:

All I know is that it has the caduceus on top, which is apparently used as a symbol for Ophiuchus, which hasn't stopped anybody from saying :byodood: THIRTEENTH TROLL!!!.

What I want to know is what's up with the new kids and all the mentions of plants. Jane loves gardening, but that was always really Jade's thing, wasn't it? Not John's? And why is Jack's house covered in evil plants?

It seems like there's a little cross contamination of the guardian's and kid's interests. Like Jake has John's love of movies combined with Grandpa Harley's love of knights, mummies, and blue ladies. And young Mom has preserved mutated kittens like Dave had dead things preserved in amber.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Gabriel Pope posted:

I know this is just a metaphor for beating a dead horse in response to the long-running arms gag, but maybe I should rescind the prediction about Maplehoof being safe and sound on post-scratch Earth :v: I'm still feeling good about the rest of the prediction, though, and take the mention of horse carcasses as a possible hint.

I think that this can only support my crackpot theory!

Hurry up and introduce Mom and Bro! They're obviously the best ghost slime parents and are going to be the best kids. Since Be Jane doesn't loop back to the flash yet I imagine some more pages in that sequence are going to be added before anything else is.

I hope that there continue to be heavy handed implications that Scratch/Lord English is raising the kids before it turns out that it's not the case.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Now you're making me hope that after Act 6.3 there'll be an entire Problem Sleuth 2 intermission.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I feel like Hussie is personally teasing me by showing a campaign of passive aggressive one-upmanship but not introducing us to kid Mom and guardian Rose yet. I'm starting to think I'll love the new group almost as much as I loved the old group though :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Thundarr posted:

Fantastic. I do like how they worked in one of the most famous scenes involving stairs in cinematic history.

Also, this is probably the first time I have ever see a cat fall down a flight of stairs. This film has something for everybody!

Just get your cat high on catnip at the top of the stairs. Speaking of, I wonder if it's possible to have a weed dreamself :?

Edit: Man, we haven't even had a pesterlog yet. Past me went 2 months without an update; slightly less past me got to read 5 new updates today and here present me is complaining about wanting more already. I'm such a present spoiled rear end in a top hat. So jealous of future me still.

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 13, 2011